Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2008, 08:25 PM

1 posts, read 8,036 times

Advertisements

I was born in Chanute and so was my father. I live in

California now. Anybody from Chanute or at least been there?

How about Cherryvale, Iola, Humbolt, Erie, Independence or any towns around

southeast Kansas?

Went out to this Big Hill Lake last time I was back there.

Big Hill Lake, Kansas

Come and visit one of the clearest lakes in Kansas. Big Hill Lake is considered a trophy fishing lake and is well known by many fisherman. Visitors wanting to come and enjoy any water activities, this is the place to go!

There are three campgrounds, three equestrian trail heads, and four day use areas for the public to enjoy operated by the Corps of Engineers. Camping, picnicking, horseback riding, hiking, swimming, fishing, and other outdoor activities are just a few that can be enjoyed at Big Hill Lake. Food, bait, tackle, and medical facilities are available near the lake.
Fees: Park Permit Required
[b][b][b]NO advertising please
Big Hill Hunting
Approximately 800 acres of project lands are being manage Equestrian trails
Big Hill Sightseeing

Last edited by GraniteStater; 05-02-2008 at 09:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2008, 03:08 PM

998 posts, read 785,836 times
My Mom's side of the family is from Buffalo about 25 miles south west of Chanute, It's funny we are leaving tomorrow for a small family reunion and will be staying in Chanute for 4 days. I have been there once before, it's a small town. The largest town we went through was Independance they had a super wal-mart. I am also from Ca. and spend most of my time on this site in the Arizona section we have land near Prescott and plan to retire there. I will take some pictures and post them when I get back next Tuesday.

Old 05-19-2008, 07:18 AM

62 posts, read 228,711 times
My Husbands family is from Chanute Kansas.

Old 05-22-2008, 11:36 AM

1 posts, read 7,950 times
I live in Independence and have been here for 20 years.

Old 05-27-2008, 08:18 AM

702 posts, read 2,517,455 times
My sister in law is from Buffalo, the Carlsons. Sadly both her parents have now passed, Melvin and Joyce Carlson but the kids still own the property. I grew up in St. Paul, went to school in Erie and also St. Paul. My dad managed the wildlife refuge outside of St. Paul for 40 years and worked for Kansas Fish and Game. My uncle, Howard Smith just passed away who lived in Erie for a long time. My wife is from Parsons.

Neosho Wildlife Area
Neosho Wildlife Area - Attractions in St. Paul, Kansas - Travel, Lodging, Events, Attractions, Recreation

Old 07-07-2008, 12:35 PM

321 posts, read 1,214,009 times
I lived in Chanute for about 10 years and still have several family members there. It's a decent little town. I drove through last month, on the way back from a family reunion. A lot has changed since we moved. Much evidence of the flooding last spring, is still there. I've got a friend who lives near St. Patrick's, and his house had flood damage. Katy Park was completely under water. The pool is closed, due for demo, I believe.

Old 12-11-2008, 12:31 PM

2 posts, read 12,813 times
I grew up in Chanute. Live in Kansas City now. Still have family down there. Growing up in Chanute is BORING (which might be why my family has seen a recent rise in petty vandalism around their neighborhood). Your choices are church activities or movies. If you're lucky, skating or bowling (every time I went by there, the dern places were closed). There's not a lot of "adult" stuff to do either. Bars and church. Yay. Much happier living in a town with a decent night life. Although I don't go out often, its nice to have when I want to without having to drive a couple hrs to get there.

Old 02-10-2009, 04:45 PM

1 posts, read 7,264 times
I have lived here for 11 years now and love it. Before I moved here I lived in Yates Center. We moved there from St. Louis - major culture shock. Now that we have lived in SEK for 25 years - it is home. St. Louis is a nice place to visit, but wouldn't want to live there again. I love the Christian Academy where my grand kids go to school. It is a wonderful place to live!

Old 04-21-2009, 10:29 PM

2 posts, read 10,135 times
Well I have never visited Chanute but intend to when I can...I have been wanting to do some research there. Does any body know whether there is a library there? My family at the turn of the last century emigrated to northern oklahoma from there and belonged to the followers of christ church which some believe to have started there.

Old 04-30-2009, 01:10 PM

116 posts, read 421,777 times
Have you read Cutler’s history of Kansas? He tells of the founding of towns and counties. Just type in Cutler’s History.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas