Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 08:27 AM

6,560 posts, read 14,459,845 times

Advertisements

I knew that when IBP became Tyson it would go straight downhill. Where I live now (eastern Washington) we had the same thing. If the OP is still considering Emporia, here's my background with it: parents both grew up in the next county west, thus many family members have lived in Emporia. (For some odd reason, actually, for the first time in my forty years of life, right now none do.) I would describe Emporia as a pretty peaceful, quiet place even by Kansas standards. Unfortunately, too quiet for their economic good. My aunt works at the university, which I think is now the largest employer--perhaps always was. On the good side, you're in the middle of all that great Kansas food, and Emporia is right along the Turnpike so it's an easy trip to KC or Wichita if you want something that requires a larger city. Emporia has kind of a cool old school downtown. Last I recall my uncle was helping get an old theatre there renovated. I myself would live in Emporia in two shakes, but I have roots there. (The reason I don't is that my wife's job keeps us here, plus my wife is Alaskan and she wants to live in Alaska as badly as I want to live in Kansas. So eastern Washington is about as good a compromise as we get.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2008, 10:29 AM

25,962 posts, read 22,120,062 times
We stayed in our travel trailer a couple months when our son was attending college in Emporia as we were looking to relocate. Jobs were few. We found the smell very undesirable. Also, in the past the research that we have done indicates that towns with a lot of immigrants that come in regularly (my son said the bus brought in a new load every Monday to start work when the meat plant was going strong) they tend to really put a dent in the school services as well as other areas. It just seemed for the size of the town that there wasn't anything there. Coming to Kansas? Check out Salina which I consider a best bet.

Old 02-18-2011, 11:32 AM

65 posts, read 133,492 times
Sweetpotater- Thanks for the honesty on this forum. I have been villified by liberal Minnesotans for daring to even mention the 'race issue' when it is confronting you all over the newspapers every day (we have the first (and last, God willing) 'Muslim congressperson' [Ellison] as well as jihadist recruiting centers here in Mary Tyler Moore land!

I think, with the TPartiers waking up, and the 2010 mid-terms, America just might stand a chance to return to normal, just like (it sounds) Emporia has done with the departure of the Somalis - a warring tribal culture that was illiterate, uncultured, backward, and still to this day (my wife says) doesn't grasp basic hygiene. (she works in the inner city schools of the Twin Cities)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas