Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 11:48 AM

4 posts, read 16,931 times

Advertisements

The small (nonfunctional) town I live in has just passed a couple city ordinances ( they want to keep everyone's lawn a certain length). What is the law regarding how it's inforced? Like if they decided no animals other than dogs and cats and I just bought a new flock of chickens and milk goats (I have 1 1/2 acres and that is why I moved here was to have a rural livestyle!) they can't require I just get rid of them if the ordinance wasn't here when I moved in!? Plus in a place like this couldn't someone from the state govenors office come in and declare the mayor and friends incompetent and appoint someone who is competent as mayor if there is someone (who's competent) here? How would someone go about making that happen? ANY HELP would be appreciated!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2009, 12:34 PM

6,560 posts, read 14,459,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerily View Post
The small (nonfunctional) town I live in has just passed a couple city ordinances ( they want to keep everyone's lawn a certain length). What is the law regarding how it's inforced? Like if they decided no animals other than dogs and cats and I just bought a new flock of chickens and milk goats (I have 1 1/2 acres and that is why I moved here was to have a rural livestyle!) they can't require I just get rid of them if the ordinance wasn't here when I moved in!? Plus in a place like this couldn't someone from the state govenors office come in and declare the mayor and friends incompetent and appoint someone who is competent as mayor if there is someone (who's competent) here? How would someone go about making that happen? ANY HELP would be appreciated!!!!
Unfortunately, it doesn't work that way. If Dogpatch has bad government, and Dogpatch allows it, then you're hosed. I would move away from Dogpatch and let it stew in its own inbred juices. If you're new there, you can't win.

Old 07-14-2009, 01:14 PM

If not everyone in Dogpatch allows it's just most of the residents are incompetent...I still think the constitution allows for it. It would obviously be for the best of the community. I'm disabled not a natural resident here and the mayor and city council would be considered incompetent by anyone (but themselves) I think there's another nonincompetent person here and we don't deserve this! If someone knows how to go about let me know, don't just tell me it doesn't work that way!

Old 07-16-2009, 05:38 AM

I've heard of the "grandfather clause" where animals that are there when the ordinance is passed are excluded. Does that normally apply or how does it work? I read that it is sometimes attached to a new ordinance so was wondering if always applies in some situations anyway or what?

Old 07-16-2009, 08:26 AM

321 posts, read 1,214,130 times
I think (I may be wrong) that there isn't an assumed, or automatic "grandfather clause" anywhere. It has to be written into the new ordinance, allowing specific exceptions to new city laws.

Old 07-16-2009, 02:06 PM

25,962 posts, read 22,120,062 times
Default They Are Winners

I agree with j_k_k for the most part. You'll have a rough road ahead. I have warned people that these "friendly" little towns are only friendly if you were born and bred there. I don't know what town you are from so can't help too much there but if you pm me, I'll do a little more research. You want to go to the website for the Kansas Attorney General's office and look around there and you can also call or email them with your questions as they have someone there that looks at the cities. Yes, generally they do "grandfather" as they outlawed pitbulls (mixes) and anyone that had one at the time had to follow a bunch of rules and couldn't replace the dog once it died with another pit. Never believe the info from the local officials check with the State. Today I found our Code at Municipal Code Corporation and some of the other cities were there - other states too but not all join but it is a great way to get the information online. We, too, are annoyed by all the bull that goes on here but as more and more people move in from other areas, well, the tide is turning. Good Luck.

Old 07-20-2009, 08:56 AM

105 posts, read 438,255 times
For the most part if someone has livestock, or animals that are included in a ordinances are grandfathered in. Your town is no different on that. And as for the governors office and coming in to declare the mayor, council, and or city manager incompetent I don't think that would happen. For the most part small towns are different in some ways but also the same as a larger town or city, they can be friendly or not, they have the same laws, the same rules, to follow as to goverment. If you don't like it then leave. I live in a small town, it is friendly, it welcomes people, it also has some that are not happy with the way things go, and never will be. I think that you are asking for alot.

Old 07-21-2009, 02:22 PM

25,962 posts, read 22,120,062 times
A typical response is if you don't like it leave but it does not have to be that way. Many of the laws and rules don't apply to everyone in these smaller towns so do your research and these towns often have less than the most intelligent or law abiding people running the town.

Old 07-21-2009, 03:51 PM

363 posts, read 1,120,571 times
Default City Ordinances

You'll need to check your city's zoning and/or animal ordinances to see whether the critters warrant any "grandfathered" status. Suggest looking to see if the zoning ordinance contains a "Non-conforming use" section that describes how pre-existing uses will be addressed. In many cases, lawful uses occuring prior to enactment of ordinances are allowed to continue. However, those uses may be limited to fixed "building" uses and not living animals. There also may be a "sunsetting" element to the non-conforming status-that ends the legal use after a term of years or when the use is somehow discontinued.

As a City Planner I understand both "pro" and "anti" animal positions. It has a lot to do with community goals and perspectives. You picture the community as semi-rural while others; apparently those "in charge" see the City transitioning to a more urban environment-where livestock, and the associated odors, dust, flies and noise are incompatible and unwelcome.

Good Luck.

Old 07-21-2009, 06:07 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times
I suggest you speak to an attorney. At the very least they may be taking part of your property rights away and at the very least would have to compensate you for your loss. If you have to relocate because of the ordinance changes it would seem that those costs would be damages they would be obligated to compensate you for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas