Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2013, 11:21 AM

1 posts, read 1,571 times

Advertisements

For the poor person wondering about Goodland, I hope that you got some good information. I must say that the thread went another direction, but it is very important that you understand the region you are moving to.
GraniteStater & itsMeFred were right on the money great job on the information. What those who tuned in late may/may not discern is that WATER is critical to life, especially in an area where there is NO surface water (I don't count the small "lakes" that won't sustain their surrounding population for any length of time).
The availability of potable water will make or break this entire part of the state. The aquifer is declining, it is being irrigated at a higher rate than it can be recharged, quality (taste, hardness) will become a greater issue and unless the general population stops taking water for granted it will be a crisis sooner than later. THESE ARE FACTS EASILY FOUND ON GOV WEB SITES. (I highly suspect that CrownVic95 may be a farmer, no offense meant, but that is the type of obstinance that I typically run into with that group of the community & since I'm late to this party, you should know that the drought is in its' 3rd year and going strong....it will not be a short cycle, studies show potential for 2 more)
When water becomes too expensive to treat and it is undrinkable due to hardness and other contaminate issues it will be too late to "fix" the problem. The scariest thing to me is hearing only a 10% decline number being bantered about. I CAN ASSURE YOU MY COMMUNITY HAS SEEN A GREATER DECLINE THAN THAT IN THE LAST 5 YRS. People near here are already having to drop their wells as much as 75ft in the last couple years. Ours are drilled to shale, they don't go deeper for this aquifer. Once we are out, we are looking at serious costs for drilling and treatment. It costs a 1/4mil do drill a well 200 ft, I don't want to see the cost for doubling that depth and the treatment costs that will be passed on to a community.

As a person just reading this thread I hope you take this away the local people of SW KS that do not make a profit are the ones you need to pay attention to, we are only concerned with sustainable life in this region. Not economic impact, growth, futures, our farm or our contracts. This whole place dried up and nearly blew away and it returned.......but they could still survive here cause' there was still water underground. Take that away and you have nothing.
Farming can happen, but the industry will not regulate itself!!! Expecting our corrupt government to do it is a waste also. WE as a population have to say, enough. It's wasteful and doesn't benefit the whole as much as it harms.

Yes, if I had it to do over again, I would rent, so my economic future wasn't tied to the stewardship of the farmers and industry around me. Please don't waste time telling me to leave. The people here are kind and hardworking, but the climate is horrendous for someone who loves/values good, clean, abundant water. I am ticking the days off the calendar til I can get the "heck" out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2013, 08:52 AM

1,787 posts, read 3,850,129 times
Thankfully we have gotten a lot of rain the past couple of weeks! Clark State Lake is running over the spillway! Flooding in many communities, which isn't a good thing, but at this point it's the price we have to pay. An end to the drought may be in sight.

Old 08-09-2013, 06:18 PM

166 posts, read 300,182 times
Default Nope, it's Goodland alright--I should know been

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lennny View Post
What? you must be confused, that not Goodland KS, that Colby Kansas if I had to guess, 45mins east of goodland
here for several years-bought a nice home with tiger oak and huge double lot,elm trees,fence,low low taxes for a SONG.It's Goodland, absolutely.

Old 08-10-2013, 09:09 PM

166 posts, read 300,182 times
Default We are getting rain out here in NW ks and

Quote:
Originally Posted by chele123 View Post
Thankfully we have gotten a lot of rain the past couple of weeks! Clark State Lake is running over the spillway! Flooding in many communities, which isn't a good thing, but at this point it's the price we have to pay. An end to the drought may be in sight.
a lot of beautiful coolish fall-like weather.

Old 08-11-2013, 02:21 PM

25,962 posts, read 22,113,827 times
Here is a good source on the drought: Drought Update - August 2nd, 2013 We have floods in our area so I checked the status of the drought and learned it takes a lot of moisture to come out of a drought. Goodland gets a lot of snow so maybe that has helped the area?

Old 08-11-2013, 02:39 PM

26,407 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Here is a good source on the drought: Drought Update - August 2nd, 2013 We have floods in our area so I checked the status of the drought and learned it takes a lot of moisture to come out of a drought. Goodland gets a lot of snow so maybe that has helped the area?
Winter moisture is a key component, but average temperatures over the course of the year can be critical. When temperatures are well above average in dry climate regions like western Kansas that intensifies the evapotranspiration of soil moisture out of the ground. High temperatures can lead to persistent drought-like conditions even when precipitation amounts are close to average. When precipitation falls that can lead to a more severe long-term drought situation. Hopefully conditions improve for the region for the last half of the year. The reason why the drought was so severe last year was the fact that the Summer was one of the absolute hottest since records have been kept.

Old 08-12-2013, 11:14 AM

2,707 posts, read 6,233,521 times
Quote:
it takes a lot of moisture to come out of a drought. Goodland gets a lot of snow so maybe that has helped the area?
Not enough...
Goodland is still in the darkest red/D4 on the map.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas