Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 12:16 AM

4 posts, read 6,611 times

Advertisements

No they are not shut down. I did buy a German Shepherd from them in 2008. He is an awesome dog, good coloring and was very healthy. He had all his records. His place is very old, yes he could do with larger pens, a little help would be great also which he has asked for many times. He said they were pretty well having to feed these animals with their own money. He didn't have the heart to turn any away either. He is a little different but he did sell me a very good dog. Maybe some of these animals lovers should get off their backsides and help him. You all claim to love animals but won't do anything but turn people in. Nay, not good enough for me. Don't judge until you get out there and help him. If you can't then send him money to help. At least they are somewhere off the streets. They do have food and water. They can't all be sick because like I said mine got a clean bill of health from the vet. I will go back again when I am ready for another one. Oh and he didn't try to rake me across the coals on a price either. He is cheaper than any other breeder I talked to and their places weren't much better!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2010, 12:30 AM

Oh, the cages were set up for the pee and poo to fall out under in a tray, they had air and heat, running water, big bags of dog food and when I went into their home their personal animals were running around all healthy and happy. The home was clean, but it is also farm life per say so there is dirt from outside. The cages were bigger than what you are describing, you exaggerated there because we discussed this also and he had met the requirements for the animals to cage ratio. He was more than happy to show me all of his certs and requirements and said he had been having some trouble. I've been to farms where people buy consumable products and they were so filthy I do not see how they were not shut down and this place was a hundred times cleaner. You guys all start judging on here without really getting to know these people, maybe watch a video where it is someone's job to try and find problems and tape the worst areas he or she can. I can tell you, I think I will contact Linda and Neil and see how they are doing now. Actually I think I am ready for another dog from them. If you would like I can email you pics of my dog and show you just how healthy he is. I promise you none of you have bought a dog from these people so really you can't judge now can you?

Old 02-21-2010, 12:52 PM

2,707 posts, read 6,233,521 times
Just as an FYI, a lot of puppymills are AKC breeders. The AKC even has a discount rate for high-volume registers.

However, a good breeder will have their pups and females where they are accessible to the family during the day. How can you have a socialized dog afterall, if it's not socializing?
How can you get a dog potty trained if mama is cooped up in a cage with the babies and can't take them outside to teach them how this works?

Quote:
Don't judge until you get out there and help him. If you can't then send him money to help.
Help what exactly??
This guy is in the business of creating more dogs to make a profit (in and of itself, that's not necessarily a bad thing). But he's not running a rescue! He's not trying to find homes for these poor, neglected animals. He's creating them in order to sell. It's a business. And if someone can't run their business ethically, they should be shut down.

So far as your dog. I hope it stays that way. Two years is not a good timeframe to be bragging about yet. At two, he should still be healthy, regardless of where you got him.

Old 02-23-2010, 11:06 PM

15 posts, read 8,425 times
with all the problems in this county puppy mills are the last thing I would put a penny to stop.

Old 02-25-2010, 01:23 PM

1,280 posts, read 6,978,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marknorman79 View Post
I did turn them in and nothing has been done and caps have investigated them also and nothing.I totally agree with you. Especially on buying from AKC. Im big supporter of AKC.
Just FYI, AKC registration means next to nothing. The AKC can and regularly does register puppy mill puppies.

Old 02-27-2010, 09:03 AM

536 posts, read 1,538,702 times
I do not support PETA and HSUS. They're nothing more than a domestic terrorist cells operating under the guise of animal rights wackos whose main goal is to end pet ownership of any kind.

Old 03-07-2010, 09:58 AM

You will be happy to know they are no longer in business. I emailed them and was told that the husband fell, had a diabetic attack and is now in no shape to take care of all the animals. My German is in great shape STILL. He has gone through all kinds of training, exams and such. I bought a good healthy dog. Now I have another from another breeder. This is an example of what I am talking about. My new pup came from an outstanding facility, very clean, very caring, but he has problems. I had to treat him for infection already in just two days time of having him. All his shots are up to date, was very clean, socialable and all. Things happen. The breeder passed all inspections with flying colors also. Sometimes things can't be helped. When I was out at the old breeders place, it was old but they had the basics. It did not look the best in the world but was a lot better than an owner throwing the dog in the back, hooked on a chain, dirty water and food which I have seen a lot of people do. I did not see this at the old breeders place or the new breeders place. In donating money what I am saying is he had dogs that were not adoptable or he would not allow them to be or would he breed them so he chose to give them a life, keep them instead of killing them. He cared enough to do this. I wonder how many people out there just put theirs down when they are not a perfect dog? Donations would have helped. He paid for their care on his own knowing he would not ever be able to sell or give them away. See when I went out there he wasn't expecting me to come the same day I called him because it was getting late. He did not have time to do anything. About an hour is all and therefore I saw how the animals lived daily. Yes he was in it for money, breeders do that, but don't you think he would have been loaded with lawsuites if his puppies were sickly or died after being sold? He has been doing this for years. The only complaint I would have had is the puppies that were caged needed more run time. He may have done this daily. I do not know because I wasn't there all day every day. I really can't judge there. If you want to go after someone, start checking individual homes where people are abusing their dog(s). Especially with summer coming on.

Old 03-07-2010, 01:57 PM

2,707 posts, read 6,233,521 times
Quote:
but don't you think he would have been loaded with lawsuites if his puppies were sickly or died after being sold?
Not in Kansas. We're pretty lax on things like that.
Unless the breeder gives a health guarantee (which, btw, is another sure sign of a good one vs. mill), the dog is now the new owner's responsibility.
States like KS, NE, MO, etc. don't have buyer-protection laws. If the dog gets ill, has a genetic condition, etc. it legally can not come back on the breeder.
Part of why we're the puppymill capital, afterall.

Quote:
My new pup came from an outstanding facility, very clean, very caring, but he has problems. I had to treat him for infection already in just two days time of having him. All his shots are up to date, was very clean, socialable and all.
My apologies, but I think you're probably making this up. Someone who would willingly buy a dog from a facility like the first, would now insist on a quality breeder?
Truth be told, I'm going to bet you probably bought this one in a pet store. (which, almost always, also come from puppy mills)

Quote:
I wonder how many people out there just put theirs down when they are not a perfect dog?
Seriously?
A decent breeder would never do such a thing.

Quote:
Donations would have helped. He paid for their care on his own knowing he would not ever be able to sell or give them away.
Again, this was part of his business. When breeding stock is no longer breed-able, they should be provided a good home. Whether it remains with the breeder or in a new home.
BREEDERS do not ask for donations for care of their dogs, whether retired, not saleable or otherwise. That is simply one of their costs of doing business (I guarantee he was writing it off on his taxes!)

And watching that video, I seriously doubt he was providing good care to retired stock. Seriously doubt it.

It is part of the business.

This guy was in the business of creating pets. If he couldn't handle the ones he already had, he should not have been creating more.
Plain, simple, end of story.

Again, there is nothing whatsoever wrong with breeding dogs. But something like what we saw in that video should be shut down. It has all the marks of a puppy mill:
*Over 100 dogs!!
*Multiple breeds
*dogs kept in cages
*limited shelter
*No socialization
*No access to normal outside runs

But if you want to continue to believe this kind of thing is OK, I guess there's really nothing anyone is going to do to convince you otherwise. Consequently, people like you will continue to keep mills in business.

Old 03-22-2010, 10:13 AM

Default Puppy Mills

I don't care if you believe me or not. I can show you the proof and will be very happy to do so. I do not appriciate being called a liar though. I would not be on here stating what I know without proof. Please feel free to contact me anytime. quinnda@embarqmail.com. I did not buy from a pet store. I have before though but not this little baby and the facility I just bought from got a top knotch rating from inspection. I stay in very close contact with the owner. She has a farm and runs it very well. Each person can have their on view of things I guess but some just insist it has to be their way, viewed their way also or it just isn't right. Oh and by the way I did get a warranty with my puppy.

Old 03-25-2010, 01:03 AM

2,221 posts, read 5,290,974 times
Some people call 'em "puppy mills," others call them "ranchers."

There's nothing quite like Chow Chow Mein or Terrier Teriyaki. Yum. Don't knock it 'til you've tried it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas