U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2007, 04:59 PM

96 posts, read 731,190 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, I'm seeking info on Winfield, Kansas. I'm wanting to know if the neighborhood is decent, safe? How are the schools? What about tornado stats in that area? Any info that can be provided to me would be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2007, 03:55 AM

188 posts, read 900,788 times
I haven't lived in Winfield but went to school there for a year in the late 80s. I think overall it's likely to be a safe place to live, you just don't hear much bad stuff about Winfield and it's one of those places that people sometimes commute to Wichita from because they like living there. I have a friend who just sold a house there a few months ago, so if you don't get any info here then private message me and I will see if he can help you. Southwestern College is pretty good, don't know about other schools personally. Tornadoes, you have everywhere in Kansas, don't recall any bad ones in Winfield itself but Udall north of there had a real bad one many years back and other towns around there have had them. I wouldn't be at all afraid to live there, though.

Old 01-18-2007, 04:00 AM

188 posts, read 900,788 times
Take a look at the "I want to live in rural Kansas" thread. There is someone from Winfield on that.

Old 01-18-2007, 10:10 AM

96 posts, read 731,190 times
Thank you so much! I sent an email to the Chamber of Commerce there asking for some relocation info, so hopefully they'll send me something. I'll definitely check out that thread and PM you if necessary. Thanks again; I appreciate it!

Old 01-19-2007, 11:30 PM

64 posts, read 293,411 times
I was born and raised in Arkansas City (just 9 miles south) and left a few years ago. Winfield is an alright place. That area is a good place to get a decent job, a good place to love, and not spend too much. Crime is a non-issue. There are drugs in that area, just because of the nearby highways. Other than that, it would have to be very random. With storms, we always got them but never too bad. I would consider hail damage every few years the biggest concern with tornado season (snow and ice seasons are another story).

Anyways, there are some very very nice affordable homes around Winfield. I can't really tell you any specific areas right off the top of my head. At any rate, the people in Kansas are very nice and definitely make the place a decent area to live in.

Old 01-26-2007, 08:36 AM

41 posts, read 167,758 times
Winfiled is a fairly rural area, with a population of about 12,000. There is a small private college there, Southwestern, which feeds the local economy. The schools are good there and Winfield is about a fort-five minute drive to Wichita.

Winfield is in the plains with some rolling hills. This is both a wheat farming and cattle ranching area. There are a couple of nice lakes within a fairly short drive.

Since Winfield has a nice downtown, but since it is fairly small, most businesses are mom and pop types that tend to come and go over the years. Like many towns of its size, WalMart took a hit on many of the smaller busineses. The schools are good and the area is fairly well-educated. Most kids end up going to college from high school. As previously mentioned, the crime rate there is not an issue. Most crimes seemt to be teenage-realted or DUIs.

Housing there is affordable and diverse. You can find small suburban style residential areas, large areas of post WWII houses, and very nice victorians along the east-west route.

Old 01-29-2007, 09:35 AM

7 posts, read 39,005 times
Just saw your post and wanted to reply. I was born in Winfield and raised there thru 7 grade, moved back to this area 4 yrs ago. I live 16 miles North east of Winfield in Burden. Live in Burden because I wanted my granddaughter to go to school in a small rural school, BUT Winfield schools are good. Burden does a lot with the Chamber of Winfield and we are all growing. Most neighborhoods are okay. Just a couple to stay away from. Crime is relatively low.
Would just depend on what your looking for. Like in Burden you get more housing for your buck, taxes are lower, but if you work in Winfield or go to Southwestern College or Cowley County College you might not want that 16 mile drive. Just depends on your preferences.
When and if you get into the area and want more info either come to Burden and the pizza place (CJs) or call me and I will try and help you out. 620-438-2930. We love new comers to our area.
Beej Taylor

Last edited by Beej; 01-29-2007 at 09:37 AM.. Reason: misspelled words.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas