Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2013, 03:49 PM

3 posts, read 7,914 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!

I'm moving to Lawrence to start as a KU grad student in the fall. I'm trying find 1-bedroom apartments that are in reasonably quiet and safe areas but are close enough that on nice days I can feasibly walk (even if it takes 45 mins) or bike to campus/downtown areas to save on gas. I just enjoy the freedom of not having to drive all the time.

The problem is that I'm not coming down to visit Lawrence to apartment hunt until the end of the month. I'm just worried that the kind of apartments I am looking for will fill up. Do you guys recommend any realtors I can work with to help me find apartments that are open at the time that I'm there? Or are there places that you all could recommend that you or someone you know have lived in that I may consider trying to hold even before I see it in person?

Thanks so much!!!

P.S. Has anyone lived/heard of Malls Olde English? It seems exactly what I'm looking for but all the reviews about it online are from a couple of years ago. That's one place that seemed great online and would consider trying to put in an application for but I'm also worried about the risk of paying a $300 security deposit without actually seeing it in person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2013, 03:59 PM

Also, any recommendations on nice neighborhoods to try to look for apartments in is very much appreciated :-)

So excited about moving to Lawrence and starting at KU!

Old 04-06-2013, 06:40 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,270,399 times
How about Birchwood? Rated 100% on apartmentratings.com and apparently a lot of grad students live there. It is at 18th and Kentucky, which is between campus and Mass Street (downtown, where everything is going on). Olde English is rated 100% too, but that's a little more out of the way to both campus and downtown. One thing about KU - it's on a hill. No matter how you get to campus you are going to be walking up a hill. I had nice legs when I went to KU 30 years ago!

Birchwood Garden Apartments Ratings, Reviews, Map, Rents, and other Lawrence apartments for rent from ApartmentRatings.com

Old 04-06-2013, 08:54 PM

9 posts, read 24,176 times
I would second Luzianne's recommendation for the Birchwood Gardens. It is very reasonable for Lawrence standards, centrally located, easy access to campus/downtown, and has plentiful off-street parking. The management has received high accolades for attention to detail.

I would shy away from Malls Olde English. They do not "screen" their residents as well as others do. Welcome to Lawrence and the Jayhawk Nation!!

Old 04-06-2013, 09:00 PM

Thanks everyone! The only problem with Birchwood is that they don't allow pets and I really want to get a cat... unless things have changed since the reviews online :-(

Have you heard negative things about the Malls residents? It seems from the reviews that it's pretty quiet but again, the reviews are from a while ago.

Old 04-06-2013, 09:34 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,270,399 times
I don't know anything about Malls Olde English Village except that it's pretty old. It was there when I went to KU in the 70s.

My daughters lived at Chase Court apartments at 19th and Stewart (close to campus and Allen Fieldhouse) in about 2006. I don't know how it is now or if the price is in your range, but they were pretty new when they lived there and they were nice.

I lived at Jayhawk Towers for a time when I was at KU. It was okay; main perk being that it was basically on campus and close to Allen Fieldhouse.

There are Stouffer Place apartments which when I went to school was married student housing, but that may have changed now to include single grad students but don't quote me on that.

Maybe you could call the landlord for Birchwood and talk to him about a cat. All he can do is say "no."

Old 04-06-2013, 10:13 PM

6,822 posts, read 11,556,490 times
Like Luzianne I too am a product of 1970s KU and Malls Olde English was kinda tired even then. I lived in Jayhawk Towers and my niece lives there now. They are so dreary because of having so few windows. They are all 2 bedroom. I also lived at Stouffer place they have been totally renovated since I lived there and I also am under the impression single grad students can now live there. I would be surprised if they allow pets.

Lawrence has a very extensive bus system. You could live quite a ways off campus if you're on the bus line.

Old 04-08-2013, 12:03 PM

321 posts, read 1,214,555 times
Residents | University of Kansas Off-Campus Student Apartments | Legends Place | Legends Place

This complex is in SW Lawrence and is on the KU bus route (route 29). It's a very safe, quiet part of town, near walking and biking trails. They do allow pets, with a 60lb weigh limit.

Old 04-10-2013, 11:43 AM

1,199 posts, read 2,046,120 times
I don't know if any place is truly quiet. Wherever there are apartments, there will be students.

Regarding Malls Olde English: It's a fine neighborhood-- close to Broken Arrow Park, an elementary school, a junior high school, and nearly across the street from a grocery store. The apartments themselves are just dreary. The primary tenant in the shopping center next door is a Dollar Store/Dollar General/Dollar Tree/something like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas