Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2008, 12:51 AM

4 posts, read 21,653 times

Advertisements

I'm being relocated to Great Bend, Kansas with my family and I am excited. I want to try my (our) hand in a small town. I've been spending my weeks down there for the past few months and come back to KC and wonder why the hell I've put up with the traffic (not to mention all the other hassles that come with a large town) and extreme heat for so long. Great Bend nights cool off and you don't wake up to 90 degree temps in the morning.

I can't get anything up here that isn't available down there. We don't shop at Dillard's and only go to places like Old Navy a couple of times a year (can you say "road trip"?). Sure I'll miss not having a Home Depot available. But, people need tools in GB too and I'm sure they get them somewhere close.

Any comments would be helpful and appreciated.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2008, 08:26 AM

26,372 posts, read 46,199,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerinkansas View Post
I'm being relocated to Great Bend, Kansas with my family and I am excited. I want to try my (our) hand in a small town. I've been spending my weeks down there for the past few months and come back to KC and wonder why the hell I've put up with the traffic (not to mention all the other hassles that come with a large town) and extreme heat for so long. Great Bend nights cool off and you don't wake up to 90 degree temps in the morning.

I can't get anything up here that isn't available down there. We don't shop at Dillard's and only go to places like Old Navy a couple of times a year (can you say "road trip"?). Sure I'll miss not having a Home Depot available. But, people need tools in GB too and I'm sure they get them somewhere close.

Any comments would be helpful and appreciated.

Thanks.
I am glad you like Great Bend. I also previously lived in Hays which is NW of Great Bend. Hays has a Home Depot.

Old 07-26-2008, 01:23 PM

4 posts, read 23,235 times
I used to live in Macksville and Larned near Great Bend, and for me Great Bend was the "big town". lol They have a very nice Ace Hardware where I used to shop. I also believe Hutchinson has a Lowe's or Home Depot or both. I like Great Bend. The hospital is good also for the size of town it is. My nephew is a nurse there. If you like Mexican food, the Kiowa Kitchen is great.

Old 07-31-2008, 12:54 AM

2 posts, read 16,121 times
I just moved from Great Bend to Independence, MO...I lived in Great Bend for about 25 years...so if you have any questions I'll try to answer them. Hope that youseguys enjoy the 'City of Great Bend'.

Old 07-31-2008, 01:06 AM

2 posts, read 16,121 times
For tools...Wal-Mart, Home Lumber Company and True Value Hardware are the best bets...Wal-Mart and Home Lumber are on 10th St. (that's 56 highway, most of the fast food places are located there, too) True Value is in West Gate Shopping Center (they used to have four or five stores there but now it is just the hardware store and an eye doctor). If they don't have it there is an ACE Hardware in Larned or Home Depot in Hays...also there is Sutherlands in Hutch.

Old 08-06-2008, 01:44 AM

2 posts, read 11,540 times
I grew up in Hoisington and Great Bend. I love the area and have moved to a similar area in Oregon. All in all I think it is a wonderful area to live and raise kids. My only warning is that being a smaller town, it is very political and don't **** off the people in power (you'll find out who they are.) I don't mean politics in the black and white dem and rep. I am talking about who's kid plays and whos doesn't. Who's input matter and who's doesn't. In general the very stereotypical small town from TV problems. Believe me they are real. At the same time all you have to do is not be controversial and you are in. Finally, I would like to say including this issue I LOVE great bend and hoisington. As long as you already have a job opportunity I say go for it. Not only is it a great place to live but a great place to live for an extended period of time. A+ in my book. (PS there is very little for kids to do, I was one of them, so there are these things to do: sports, debate, forensics, choir, school, drugs (mostly pot), sex, and alcohol. To be fair that is still better than what kids have to do in most cities, and everyone knows everyone so everyone finds out about everything.)

Old 08-12-2008, 01:30 PM

4 posts, read 21,653 times
Thanks for all the great input. I've been down here officially for a week now and have already noticed the "political" climate that you speak of johnes4th. I had a talk with my family just the other day about being careful when talking to the "natives." At least until we get it figured out.

Old 10-13-2008, 11:09 PM

1 posts, read 7,724 times
I am looking at possibly moving to Great Bend. Are there any apartment complexes? I don't want to buy a house just yet as this will be a new experience for me and would rather move into an apartment first.

Old 10-14-2008, 10:52 AM

129 posts, read 443,211 times
Good people in GB!

Old 10-15-2008, 04:31 PM

10,147 posts, read 11,103,032 times
I lived in a Complex in GB years ago - My rent was dirt cheap and my place was really nice. I paid 400/Mo. For a 2bedroom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas