Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2008, 07:32 PM

2 posts, read 8,001 times

Advertisements

My husband grew up in Stafford, and we will be visiting Hutchinson, KS, in early September to see family and visit the State Fair. We'd like to to know what restaurant in Hutch or surrounding area has the best chicken-fried steaks these days... that is one thing he misses most that we just can't get in NC. Any suggestions are most welcome!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2008, 07:48 PM

6,560 posts, read 14,453,208 times
I don't know about chicken-fried steak specifically, but since you're going to the town where I spent my early years, I can give you two recommendations:

1) Take in the Kansas Cosmosphere. Great for adults or kids. There are some true artifacts there (for example, the original Apollo 13!), plus interesting demonstrations and an Imax.

2) Eat a light dinner one night. Get up the next morning fairly early. and head toward Wichita on K-96 through Yoder. Go to the Carriage Crossing restaurant in Yoder. Eat breakfast. Think of me and toast me with your coffee as you enjoy one of the great eating experiences of Kansas.

As for chicken-fried steaks, wait until you are at the fair and go to one of the craft exhibits where there are older ladies. Ask them. They will most likely have opinions, they will surely know what they're talking about and they will be glad to guide you to the best CFS in town. That's what I'd do.

Please post here afterward to comment on this year's butter sculpture.

Old 08-26-2008, 11:42 AM

2 posts, read 8,001 times
Thanks for the grrrreat suggestions. I am going to seek out people at the fair who look like they would know. Also, I have been to Yoder on a previous trip and don't remember the restaurant. However, I think your idea is great to stop there for breakfast. Any more advice on what to order, or is it "all good?"

Old 08-26-2008, 01:26 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,215,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mousymiss View Post
My husband grew up in Stafford, and we will be visiting Hutchinson, KS, in early September to see family and visit the State Fair. We'd like to to know what restaurant in Hutch or surrounding area has the best chicken-fried steaks these days... that is one thing he misses most that we just can't get in NC. Any suggestions are most welcome!
I grew up in Overland Park and had never heard of chicken fried steak until I want to Texas and thought it was chicken. I guess they'll fry about anything in the South

Old 08-26-2008, 01:29 PM

6,560 posts, read 14,453,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mousymiss View Post
Thanks for the grrrreat suggestions. I am going to seek out people at the fair who look like they would know. Also, I have been to Yoder on a previous trip and don't remember the restaurant. However, I think your idea is great to stop there for breakfast. Any more advice on what to order, or is it "all good?"
Just order typical breakfast items that you like. The Amish will take care of the rest. Can't fail. Save room for a sweet roll, if you possibly can. The only way you can fail is by committing the error of eating a large dinner the night before, thus failing to leave sufficient room.

If I recall correctly the restaurant is on the extreme west end of Yoder (which as you know is rather a small place), the Hutch side, just off the highway.

Carriage Crossing Restaurant - Yoder, Kansas

Notice the posts out front. Also, looking at the breakfast menu, notice the low prices. I never knew an Anabaptist to waste money (or anything else). The CC is yet one more reason, as if I needed it, to visit home whenever I can.

If you want another great idea, hunt around Hutch for Iron Horse Barbecue Sauce. (If there is none on sale at the State Fair, someone is slipping.) Try some on beef brisket to assure yourself that this is worth the trip, then mosey on up toward Galva, a Mennonite community NE of Hutch. Stop at convenience store and ask nice young Mennonite gals would they please phone Mr. and Mrs. Unruh of Iron Horse Farm and see if you may come out and buy a case or two of the sauce. (Just saying Mr. and Mrs. Unruh without the farm identification is sure to flop, because Unruhs in Kansas are like Sullivans in Boston.)

Unless you look like trouble, they will gladly do so and give you directions to the Horse. Marvel as Mrs. Unruh carries, evidently without significant effort, two cases of the stuff out to you. (Mentally resolve never to get punched by Mrs. Unruh for any reason. Not that one would; she's a very nice lady.) They took my check years back, but cash is the surest bet. If you have to ship the sauce home, buy a bunch of bubblewrap and use it well so that those clowns at UPS don't bust half of it.

Do you golf? The Carey Salt people built what is acclaimed one hell of a golf course near Hutch. I forget the name but if I ever get decent enough at golf not to humiliate myself, I'd want to play it.

Old 08-26-2008, 02:01 PM

13 posts, read 31,230 times
I would hardily suggest leaving a bit of room for when you get to the state fair in Hutch to enjoy an ear of roasted corn.

Old 09-20-2008, 05:06 PM

6 posts, read 19,417 times
avoid the fair. AIRPORT STEAKHOUSE has the best cfs hands down!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas