Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2008, 08:48 PM

1 posts, read 4,781 times

Advertisements

Please help. I am most likely relocating to Kansas for a job opportunity and I would appreciate it if someone could help me out a bit. I have not a clue where I should be looking. My job will allow me to live primarily at home, but they limit me to where I can live....Here are the areas in which I can reside...

Northern Wabaunsee
Pottawatomie
Marshall
Nemaha
Jackson
Jefferson

My only preference is the area be safe and I would like to have some convenience somewhat close. Thoughts?

Please forgive me for this stupid question, but is anywhere you live in Kansas pretty much "country living"? I'm moving from Atlanta, GA so I need to prepare myself for some culture shock.

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2008, 09:41 PM

26,407 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbvcu View Post
Please help. I am most likely relocating to Kansas for a job opportunity and I would appreciate it if someone could help me out a bit. I have not a clue where I should be looking. My job will allow me to live primarily at home, but they limit me to where I can live....Here are the areas in which I can reside...

Northern Wabaunsee
Pottawatomie
Marshall
Nemaha
Jackson
Jefferson

My only preference is the area be safe and I would like to have some convenience somewhat close. Thoughts?

Please forgive me for this stupid question, but is anywhere you live in Kansas pretty much "country living"? I'm moving from Atlanta, GA so I need to prepare myself for some culture shock.

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks.
Those counties are all rural for the most part. The biggest question is how close do you want to be to larger town for convenience? Jefferson County, and Jackson County would be more convenient to the Topeka and Lawrence, KS metro areas. Pottawatomie County is close to Manhattan, which is home to Kansas State University. The counties along the Nebraska border are going to be MUCH more isolated with distances to Interstate highways being significantly longer. Jackson, Jefferson, and Pottawatomie counties are all fairly safe rural counties with populations under 20,000 people for each county. Expect friendly people, and a 4 season climate.

Old 09-25-2008, 01:12 PM

116 posts, read 421,803 times
The counties that you are restricted to are in the northeast part of the state. Most contain small towns; however they are not far from some of the largest town in the state. When Kansas was first being settled a large number of people came into the area from the Deep South. The biggest complaint then as now is the cold winters. Check out the photos in the sticky: Kansas Pictures, on this site.

Old 09-25-2008, 06:34 PM

3,191 posts, read 9,183,768 times
Hey fellow Georgian! We grew up in Atlanta and consider it home. Not familiar with the areas you mentioned, as we are in Wichita, going on 2 yrs. It isn't too bad here. Yes it is cold in the winter and the winds are something to get used to. A drier hot, not as humid. Yes it is sorta country but no worse than south Ga.
Think Newnan, Conyers, Mcdonough, Acworth, Douglasville....small towns, fairly friendly. We have found transplanted folks to be the friendliest, takes the natives a while to warm up to ya.
All in al, it is alright, but it ain't Atlanta!
IMO I'd be close to Topeka and LAwrence, if those are your Bigger town choices.

Old 11-05-2008, 01:05 PM

8 posts, read 46,873 times
In Pottawatomie County, you'd be within 30 minutes of Manhattan (50,000 population) and Topeka (huge).

Old 11-05-2008, 07:43 PM

321 posts, read 1,214,130 times
Hoyt is in Jackson County and about a 15-20 minutes north of Topeka (population 120,000 range). Population of Hoyt is roughly 600. It's a very quiet town with the convenience of the city nearby.

Old 12-13-2008, 11:21 AM

189 posts, read 418,266 times
Of those mentioned, I would choose "Pott" County. I lived in Manhattan, KS and worked at KSU for several years. Pott County is close by and by now, maybe the housing from Manhattan has trended out that way. Manhattan has a lot to offer for a smaller city. I would stay away from the area around Aggieville, as there are a lot of students living in the older homes in that area. They now have a mall in the downtown area. Crime was minimal when I lived there 20 years ago. I've been to Atlanta on work trips and attended conventions in the downtown area. I didn't feel very safe there, except when we were in the Buckshead area. I know Manhattan is not Atlanta as far as shopping and dining but it has a great sense of community spirit. I've been back several times because I still have family in the area and was impressed with the progress in the "Little Apple".

Old 12-13-2008, 11:04 PM

2 posts, read 8,939 times
Now, Miranda. HA, Topeka isn't huge. It's an overgrown small town. Kansas City and Wichita are bigger and still small compared to real cities. I think Topeka is just about the right size. 15 minutes to anywhere. Barring accidents, water main breaks or other construction. But we have theater, the symphony, jazz, art galleries, clubs, bowling, movies, hockey, a mall, speciality restaurants and other shops, and so on. Maybe a little far for CMBVCU, I suppose. It would be nice to live in a quieter place than Topeka, but close enough to enjoy the amenities.

Old 12-13-2008, 11:25 PM

378 posts, read 1,621,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyma View Post
We have found transplanted folks to be the friendliest, takes the natives a while to warm up to ya.
Oh, come now. I've lived here for a long time, and I'm friendly to any and everyone, and the same goes for everyone I know.

Old 12-15-2008, 08:17 PM

68 posts, read 376,466 times
I would strongly recommend living as close to Lawrence as you possibly can...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas