Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2008, 08:58 AM

9 posts, read 57,212 times

Advertisements

My husband was given permanent orders to relocate to Ft Lewis Washington three months ago. We actually bought a home there and we were set to close on Oct 10th. They sent him a one sentence email last week that said he was being relocated to Ft Riley instead. So much for permanent orders!
Anyway, we have a very short amount of time to find a rental in Kansas and I am in panic mode. We are leaving Jersey (recruiting duty) on November 10th and I need a house to rent!!! I have searched online military for rent etc... but there is not much to choose from. Does anyone know of any agencies I can contact?
Also, I don't want to be in Manhattan, I prefer country areas, a little land. We have dogs and I don't really like neighbors too close by. I enjoy peace and quiet. What areas am I to look in? We don't have children, so school systems are not important to our search.
Thank you for any help or advice you can give me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2008, 02:52 PM

25,961 posts, read 22,120,062 times
Default Try Smaller Surrounding Towns

We lived in Junction City for several years and worked on post. What you are looking for will be tough to find I think. If you don't mind the drive, Herington is nice. If you goggle "Blue Skyways" you can get a listing of towns that have websites and most have realtor contacts or I would even call the City clerks to find out if something might be for rent. My choices if I were going back and I wish I were would be: Herington, White City, Milford, Wakefield although the first two are much better than the last two. Also, out Manhattan's way would be maybe Riley or St. George. Herington is probably the largest with about 2,000 people I think. I think the online version of the Junction City newspaper has a realtor section and Crites Realty used to handle the more "country" properties so they might know of something to rent. We lived in Manhattan a short time but didn't like it. Mostly it depends on how far you want to drive especially with the price of gas and snow coming up.

Old 10-02-2008, 07:37 AM

15 posts, read 50,700 times
Hi there! Know what you mean with orders, we have just received our recruiting orders and are going to Dodge City! That wasn't on our list either...Sitting like you trying to find something with short notice! Try to check the local newspaper! That has helped me out a lot, even if I still haven't found "the right one". Call on listed for sale, sometimes people that has had their homes for sale for a long time, would consider to rent! Call realtor's, sometimes they might not have what you are looking for, be polite and ask them to help you out anyway, maybe they know about someone else etc..

Where did you go online to find for Military for rent??

Good luck to you!

Old 10-06-2008, 01:06 PM

1 posts, read 5,600 times
Hello, We are at Ft. Riley and live in Herington. I've looked at some of the real estate agency web sites for homes for rent for friends who live in Junction City and want to get out,and they don't list anything. Here are some names of them give them a call maybe they can help you. Herington is a nice quiet VERY LITTLE town. We don't even have a stop light, we do have a grocery store, dollar store, hardware store, one gas station, 6 bars, dairy queen, pizza hut, 7 churches, 2 senior centers and a police station. Hope is another little town that has NOTHING but good country living. It depends on how long you want to drive it takes my hubby 30 minutes to get on post. Any ways here are the realtors Karon's real estate, Ruckers, Ruth Smith. Good luck

Old 11-05-2008, 12:52 PM

8 posts, read 46,873 times
Here's a link for housing in the region: Manhattan Association of REALTORS (http://www.manhattanrealtors.net/default.asp?content=search&menu_id=5984 - broken link)

Old 10-21-2009, 09:49 PM

2 posts, read 8,491 times
Hi I happened to come across this while I was actually searching for something completely different on google so if you are interested please reply to my email at [EMAIL="tbfkinidaho@yahoo.com"]tbfkinidaho@yahoo.com[/EMAIL]. Otherwise I may not be able to find my way back to this site to see if you respond (computer illiterate!)

Anyway, it may not be soon enough for you but the home I own in Herington is going to be available January 1st. The couple that rent it now are being deployed to Afghanistan in December. My husband and I built the house in 2001 and lived there until January of 2008. It is 2600 sqaure feet, ranch style and sits on 20 acres. You can only see one neighbor and he lives about a mile away. It is only a half mile off of 77 highway which is the main highway north and south into Junction City and Fort Riley. I used to be the manager of the Ft Riley Post Office and it is only about 22 miles to the fort from my house. It has a detatched garage and a new garden shed. The location of the house is spectacular because it sits on a hill that overlooks a 26 acre water shed pond. Good fishing and lots of wildlife right outside the back door. If your dogs like to swim they will be down there all the time. The house has 3 bedrooms and 2 baths, dining, kitchen and living room on the main floor. The basement is fully finished and has a huge family room, laundry room, guest bedroom and bathroom. I love the rustic look so the interior in warm and "woodsy". The basement is walk out and leads out to a covered patio that faces that huge pond. The main floor has a deck the entire length of the house that faces the pond. The front of the house faces the driveway and has a covered porch the entire length of the house. I absolutely love this home. It has had renters in it for almost 2 years but the house is in very good condition. My best friend and her husband are farmers and neighbors out there and they do whatever repairs are necessary. They also can show the house for me too if needed although I will be home 3 weeks from today. Let me know if this sounds like something that could work for you. The couple that are in it now would probably be flexible about moving their stuff if they needed to be out sooner for you. They are great to work with so let me know and again...please use my email address so I get the message!

Old 10-30-2009, 11:13 AM

10 posts, read 62,406 times
we are also military. milford and wakefield rural area are very nice too. we live 4 miles before milford and like living close to the lake. there are side gates to go onto post. if this would be an area you would consider send me a message and i will ask around. i know some people who are not able to sell their house at this point of time and they would love to rent their house.

Old 11-07-2010, 10:56 PM

1 posts, read 3,584 times
there is a site for housing rentals that is opperated by the military. [url=http://www.AHRN.com]Automated Housing Referral Network (AHRN.com) v7.0[/url] they will give listings of all options available in the area you PCS to. We are PCSing back to fort riley in march and we own a house in white city, nice, quit and country setting

Old 04-10-2015, 10:21 AM

7 posts, read 20,805 times
We just got orders for Dodge City as well! I know this is an old post but I'm looking for any and all info! We will be moving from Maryland have a young child.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas