Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 02:34 PM

5 posts, read 18,897 times

Advertisements

I don't know any thing about landscaping/gardening, but I do have a big back yard that I want to use, so I start looking in to possibility of taking some continuing education classes, or any thing other then going to collage for few years, but so far was unsuccessful, I live in Prairie village KS. Some school offer online classes, I have doubts about that. Any advise would be very appreciated.
Thank you!
Marina
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2008, 06:50 PM

327 posts, read 968,227 times
Call Johnson County Community College. They offer continuing education classes (non credit) and always have landscaping classes available. This is the perfect time to do your landscaping.

Old 10-06-2008, 06:04 AM

62 posts, read 228,620 times
You might also check out the county extension office. Shawnee County has a Master Gardener Program that is awesome. You do have to commit to some volunteer work but that means you get to meet a lot of great people and learn a lot with hands one experience.

Old 10-25-2008, 10:37 AM

Thank you, but unfortunately their location is Topeka and Emporia, which is few hours away. Maybe you know something closer then that, I live in Prairie Village?

Old 10-25-2008, 06:34 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,250,015 times
Tou can take online Master Gardening classes. As far as I know most states offer it.

Old 10-25-2008, 10:56 PM

Online classes-I know that. The same thing just to purchase the book and read it, what I am indeed done it already..... I need real experience from real people, need to see it, need to touch it....so online classes not for me in this area, I thought of that already, but thank you any way.

Old 10-26-2008, 10:05 AM

Well really the best way is to get your hands dirty.

Start a compost pile now. Get it ready and in the spring after the ground is warm enough to work, till it into the soil and start growing something.

Old 10-27-2008, 05:24 AM

12 posts, read 37,364 times
Johnson County Community College offers a class titled Landscape Design, HORT 135. The class is taught by Dr Alan Stevens. Dr Stevens is an excellent instructor. He takes his classes to various homes where you learn to draw landscape plans for various landscape.
Enrollment for Spring classes at JCCC begins soon.

Old 10-27-2008, 06:09 AM

Alan came and spoke at my Master Gardener class. He's very good.

Old 11-09-2008, 10:30 AM

3,339 posts, read 9,347,143 times
I am a certified landscape designer and also a Johnson County Master Gardener. I recommend classes offered by the extension office during the gardening season. The extension master gardeners website is also a great place to find research-based information. Spreaking personally (and not for the Master Gardeners), I get a lot of bad info from garden centers and landscape pros. It isn't all wrong, but you never know who to believe -- unless you consult the Extension Office. Here is a web address:
Johnson County Lawn and Garden

Speaking of Alan Stevens, he is part of our program and yes -- a wonderful man with endless knowledge about horticulture! Definitely take his class if you can.

There is no online Master Gardener program, by the way. It's a program that requires an application in July, and if you're accepted, you go through a 16-week training course, followed by a required number of volunteer hours. People don't join the MG program for their own education. The focus is volunteerism.

I think you're lucky to be starting a garden in Prairie Village! Being a more established area, the soil tends to be much better than down here in south Johnson County, where we're plagued with rock, clay and very little topsoil! You also have trees! The first thing I would do in your situation is keep all your leaves and put them in whatever planting beds you have. they will make for even better soil next spring. I don't know why people put their leaves out for pickup; they're the best soil amendment in the world. In fact, I drove up to Prairie Village this morning to get 8 huge bags of leaves from a friend!

Over the winter, read up on soil basics, plant selection for sun and shade, wet and dry, and the types of pests that typically plague plants in this area.

Here is another very valuable link to a page with other links on it. I urge you to click on the K-State Horticulture Newsletter link and subscribe. Come springtime, you will get weekly updates on what you should be doing in the garden at that time, what pests are around, and how to deal with them. It is SUCH a help.

Johnson County Lawn and Garden>K-State Links

I finished up my college hort classes at Johnson County Community College with a turf science class, and I'll never forget what the teacher told us: If you can grow a nice lawn in Kansas, you can grow one anywhere. This is a tough area for lawn and garden care because we're in a "transition zone" between the cold north and the hot south. Most things we do are a compromise.

Hope that helps, good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas