Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2008, 05:46 PM

13 posts, read 35,059 times

Advertisements

Hello all

I may be looking at a relocation for a job from the suburbs of Philadelphia to Parsons, KS and I need some help. I am married with two kids 4 and 3 years old. I need some info on schools, neighborhoods, how safe is it, how do they treat outsiders (I listen to country but I am very far from Midwestern). Is there any towns near (20 miles or less) that are better for families? Any help would be great.

Thank You very much
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2008, 08:38 PM

702 posts, read 2,516,517 times
My wife is from Parsons, her parents still live there. It's a very depressing community! Nothing positive at all going on there. The ammunition plant there is about to close, finally! The schools are horrible, most go to Altamont, just south of Parsons. There is a lot of petty theft that happens all the time, you can't keep anything outside, it will get jacked. Lots of drug issues, meth is a horrible problem there. Sorry to paint such a dim view but just being real. Regarding better towns, I'd say Pittsburg would be the best choice, at least it has a 4 year university there, but it's like 30 or so miles from Parsons.

Old 10-11-2008, 10:39 PM

173 posts, read 655,546 times
I got my depression from that area. Boring, no social life, one major street, nothing for kids. Only enjoyment for me is to go to Braum's, an ice cream store. If you like farming, you are fine.

Old 10-12-2008, 11:34 AM

106 posts, read 581,251 times
dimarc, before you panic from these previous two comments--

Yes, Parsons the town itself is struggling economically, as are many smaller towns in Kansas and the nation in general. Yes, meth is the drug of choice throughout rural Kansas (easy to make at home) and is a problem. But there are many positives.

First off, if you own a house in the Philly area, you can sell that house there and live like a king in southeast Kansas. Even selling a modest-size home in Philly area you can in Parsons boost your family's standard of living far beyond you had ever hoped. You can buy a split level ranch-style country-club like home for 200k. If you can afford to pay 50k or more for a house, you will be able to avoid purchasing a house in a "bad" neighborhood. Heck, for 90-120k, you can buy a house out of town with a big lot around it and not have any neighbors.

Schools--as alluded to above, there is another school district that is popular, and it is just south of Parsons...it is called the Labette County school district. Though the high school for this district is located in Altamont (10 miles away) one of the K-8 schools is just on the south end of Parsons. You'll love having the kids in a small K-8 school, but complete with all the activities of a big suburban district. And unlike many high schools in the region, the Labette district offers more than just sports.

And Parsons has done a great job with redoing its Main Street--yes, there are even a couple fine restaurants. It does have a junior college as well, albeit small. I wouldn't write off Parsons completely, and again, you can live in Parsons and still be in the Labette school district. Yes, when the kids get high school age, you run into the "nothing to do" syndrome but you'll find that in the urban/suburban area too. At least at a small country high school, your kids will more likely be able to participate in activities, unlike at a big city school.

But if you want to look at other towns in the area--yes, Pittsburg to the east (which has a four-year college) would be an option, though a bit far IMO. Independence to the west is a nice community with plenty of civic activities as well. Both are about the same size as Parsons.

I think you'll find people very welcoming to new neighbors...cetainly the vast majority will ... there will be a few curmudgeons who hate people in general and and a few who are suspicious of those whose roots don't go back five generations, but it really won't be a problem.

Politics will be different--much more overtly conservative than in an urban area but again, the vast majority of people are reasonable and aren't going to shun others just because of their politics.

Also--what does your spouse do? If the spouse wants to work in a professional job, that will be the downside of moving to the area, there aren't that many professional jobs. But there will be plenty of regular type jobs, etc. to be had if you want a little extra family income.

I would not let the other comments discourage you from fully investigating your employment and living options in the Parsons area. You have an excellent opportunity--the trouble with moving from an urban area to an area like this is the lack of a job opportunity. You seem to have that chance and with ages 3 and 4, that is to me the perfect ages to bring a family to the area. All the best with your decision.

Last edited by prairie guy; 10-12-2008 at 11:43 AM..

Old 10-13-2008, 01:08 AM

173 posts, read 655,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairie guy View Post
dimarc, before you panic from these previous two comments--

Yes, Parsons the town itself is struggling economically, as are many smaller towns in Kansas and the nation in general. Yes, meth is the drug of choice throughout rural Kansas (easy to make at home) and is a problem. But there are many positives.

First off, if you own a house in the Philly area, you can sell that house there and live like a king in southeast Kansas. Even selling a modest-size home in Philly area you can in Parsons boost your family's standard of living far beyond you had ever hoped. You can buy a split level ranch-style country-club like home for 200k. If you can afford to pay 50k or more for a house, you will be able to avoid purchasing a house in a "bad" neighborhood. Heck, for 90-120k, you can buy a house out of town with a big lot around it and not have any neighbors.

Schools--as alluded to above, there is another school district that is popular, and it is just south of Parsons...it is called the Labette County school district. Though the high school for this district is located in Altamont (10 miles away) one of the K-8 schools is just on the south end of Parsons. You'll love having the kids in a small K-8 school, but complete with all the activities of a big suburban district. And unlike many high schools in the region, the Labette district offers more than just sports.

And Parsons has done a great job with redoing its Main Street--yes, there are even a couple fine restaurants. It does have a junior college as well, albeit small. I wouldn't write off Parsons completely, and again, you can live in Parsons and still be in the Labette school district. Yes, when the kids get high school age, you run into the "nothing to do" syndrome but you'll find that in the urban/suburban area too. At least at a small country high school, your kids will more likely be able to participate in activities, unlike at a big city school.

But if you want to look at other towns in the area--yes, Pittsburg to the east (which has a four-year college) would be an option, though a bit far IMO. Independence to the west is a nice community with plenty of civic activities as well. Both are about the same size as Parsons.

I think you'll find people very welcoming to new neighbors...cetainly the vast majority will ... there will be a few curmudgeons who hate people in general and and a few who are suspicious of those whose roots don't go back five generations, but it really won't be a problem.

Politics will be different--much more overtly conservative than in an urban area but again, the vast majority of people are reasonable and aren't going to shun others just because of their politics.

Also--what does your spouse do? If the spouse wants to work in a professional job, that will be the downside of moving to the area, there aren't that many professional jobs. But there will be plenty of regular type jobs, etc. to be had if you want a little extra family income.

I would not let the other comments discourage you from fully investigating your employment and living options in the Parsons area. You have an excellent opportunity--the trouble with moving from an urban area to an area like this is the lack of a job opportunity. You seem to have that chance and with ages 3 and 4, that is to me the perfect ages to bring a family to the area. All the best with your decision.
Small town only gives you very limited choices on everything. Restaurants on the main street are OK. I am pretty sure you will run out of restaurants in few months. Once you sold you house in Philly, buy one in Parson, you will never be able to buy your house back in Philly.

Old 10-13-2008, 12:18 PM

129 posts, read 444,576 times

Moving to Parsons? I’m jealous!
I’m attempting to do the same. I moved away from there in 1981. Due to family and friends still there we are back there to visit quite often.
I’m disappointed of the City for not enforcing codes that would clean up some really terribly kept homes in otherwise fine neighborhoods. I’m disappointed in the drug problems but in talking to a friends Daughter the problems are no worse than they were in the 60’s and 70’s. Still at issue is the fact that those people among us who will use drugs simply will. Boredom in the rural communities never helps either.
Parsons is a small town of approximately 11,000 souls, and the small high school graduating classes have the same problem as other small towns. EMPLOYMENT!

And now for something completely different!

Parsons, and small towns from that area I call home have some of the best employees in the Nation. The work ethic is second to none. I can’t recall any Company of significance leaving Parsons due to work force issues. The fact that more industry doesn’t come to the area may imply a lack of tactical planning by those in charge of such things.
People? Unless you’re an arrogant *****. You’ll be welcomed.
Healthcare? If you find yourself in real trouble. You’ll be doctoring in Wichita KS, Joplin Mo, Kansas City, maybe Tulsa. This aspect of things comes into play more than you might think.
I think Pittsburg is ramping up a heart care clinic in their hospital and this will improve things dramatically at only 35 miles distant.
Entertainment & Culture? One place on Main Street does a decent job of bringing in entertainment. Otherwise you may have to seek out these things at the same places I mentioned above for healthcare.
Outdoor stuff: Hunting and fishing is excellent. I’m not sure about organized youth activity.
Cost of Living: Except for the occasional great real estate deals, about the same as Dallas. There are no real cost savings benefits just because it’s a small town. Employers like to make something of the small town cost of living being lower, trust me, it’s not.
Employment Opportunities: Very small selection for quality jobs. I’m guessing you’ll be working for one of the two tank companies or Ruskin. There’s a few other solid places in town but not enough if you find yourself at the wrong place. Not enough to attract and hold local kids.

Basically, Parsons was a Rail Road town and had an Army Ammunitions plant. Neither are players anymore and the town will never be much more than what it is. It’s small and quiet but there is more there than one realizes.

Old 10-15-2008, 06:07 AM

35 posts, read 69,889 times
Default parsons

parsons is a nice town,not any different than any other smal town..

Old 10-15-2008, 04:35 PM

106 posts, read 581,251 times
Hi dimarc, our original poster...

have any thoughts you'd liek to share?

I have to agree with a good point by Nice John, once you sell in a metropolitan area and move to a rural area, it is difficult to move back. Housing appreciation is VERY slow in small distant towns, so in a few years if you want to move back to an urban area, you'll find that your big nice house in the small town may not fetch all that much to set you up in a good neighborhood in the city. So that should enter your calculations as well.

good luck.

Old 11-19-2008, 08:16 PM

1 posts, read 6,415 times
Depends on your age when moving there. The town has a few more things now, but not much. Jobs are scarce. The Ammo plant has been replaced with Ducommon which is an aerospace manufacturer. People there used to drive to Pittsburg for jobs, but things are bad here now as well. Superior is going to Mexico, Sugar Creek is relocating, Altec closed and Poli-Tron and Vinlyplex have laid off. Things are bad all over, but as someone stated above, the price difference would be from you moving to something expensive to being able to afford anything you wanted here. Many think (and yes here it is to us) that rent and etc. is high, but head 2 hrs in any direction and things double and triple. You could probably get a good deal on a house, but would be there for good as it would be hard to re-sell. Good luck.

Old 12-11-2008, 08:45 AM

25,939 posts, read 22,089,429 times
We are in Fort Scott, KS. I have heard that Parsons is similar. 20 miles is a long way on slippery and/or snow covered roads and here they don't clean them off like in the northern states (I grew up in Michigan). If you are coming for a really great paying secure job where you can move among those that are "somebody", it could really work for you but the area is generally depressed, taxes tend to be high, services limited...jobs more likely to disappear than not at this point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas