Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 01:01 AM

28 posts, read 66,530 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cp1969 View Post
Did I read that you are working on getting your teacher's certification? If so, Emporia State is, I think, primarily a teacher's college, as is Pittsburg State. As GraniteStater said, though, it is a pretty long drive to the airport if you travel much.

However, I think you can do the same thing at KU. If you go that route, there are numerous little towns within commuting distance of Lawrence. Eudora, DeSoto, Tonganoxie, McClouth, Baldwin (Baker University is there), Wellsville, Lecompton to mention a few. I would go for something northeast of Lawrence, but that is just my preference.

Good luck!
Tonganoxie, Eudora, and DeSoto would be my top choices given their proximity to both Lawrence and KC. Tonganoxie also has the Leavenworth County fairgrounds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2009, 11:26 AM

396 posts, read 990,752 times
While I'm personally partial to Southeast Kansas (Parsons) I would definately recommend McPherson. It's a growing smaller town of about 14,000 and has a great downtown and one way or another seems to be amazing at bringing in industry. The town is also very well kept and has a great park system. For big city shopping/airport etc Wichita is 45 minutes away. Overall a great town.

Old 06-15-2009, 10:11 PM

145 posts, read 608,423 times
I would recommend the Topeka, Lawrence and KC area. Lots of small towns.
I love Lawrence with its fun and cultural Massachusetts St.

Old 08-17-2009, 12:50 PM

3 posts, read 14,249 times
I would be very very cautious of moving to Parsons KS it is a lousy place to raise kids look at there school profile they are even under the averages for the state and on disciplinary action.The city book keeping is a lot to be desired and even wondered how legal it really is. Unethical unpractical non respective city council the town needs to be audited by the state and the actions need to be reviewed by the ethics comity of Kansas along with the league of municipalities there needs to be recalls on commissioners and mangers need to be fired we should have a state investigation into the affairs of the city of Parsons KS along with a grand jury investigation.

This town dose not rate to move to I would strongly suggest to reconsider any effort of moving into the area you will be greatly disappointed. There are a great many places in the state of Kansas with out moving to Parsons Kansas. Good luck and Keep looking.

Old 08-17-2009, 03:14 PM

396 posts, read 990,752 times
I wouldn't take this Grumpy too serious, all he's done is copy and paste the same downer paragraph into every thread. He does have the right to his opinion, but I don't think it carries much weight in regards to this. Sounds like a Troll to me.

Old 08-17-2009, 03:30 PM

1,208 posts, read 1,824,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOLDONTIGHT View Post
Don't do it if you are thinking about western kansas---you might as well be living in hell---seriously! And yes the wind blows every day! And dirt ---forget about it! Blows......and the water is poisonous--most wells have arsenic and herbicides, pesticides etc from farmers~ and no trees here---just flat----- and no jobs really---no culture! (want to buy a farmhouse?
I personally love this type of honesty! It's very refreshing for someone planning on coming to an area to have someone already living there tell of the "not so good things" that go on in a given area. And let's face it...no place is all good or all bad.

Old 02-19-2012, 05:06 AM

1 posts, read 2,815 times
I would reccomend Lenexa, Kansas. Although the population's a bit to large for you, but it's quite a nice community with great views all over the place, so other than that i'd suggest Lindsborg, they've got lovely views, and also one or two - (or even more) Bike trails, plus i wouldn't say it's too far from Kansas City Airport, good luck finding the perfect place, maybe you'l even take my suggestion, but all i can say is gl to you and your fam. x

Old 02-19-2012, 05:21 AM

1 posts, read 2,814 times
I agree with sharksharp's comment, there's no goods or bads, although you just have to be careful to pick the thing you really think matches your type of personality, that's probally the only advice i can give.

Old 02-20-2012, 08:45 AM

396 posts, read 659,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikiiiiiiiiiiiii View Post
I would reccomend Lenexa, Kansas. Although the population's a bit to large for you, but it's quite a nice community with great views all over the place, so other than that i'd suggest Lindsborg, they've got lovely views, and also one or two - (or even more) Bike trails, plus i wouldn't say it's too far from Kansas City Airport, good luck finding the perfect place, maybe you'l even take my suggestion, but all i can say is gl to you and your fam. x
Having lived in Lindsborg at one point in my life, I would have to say it is a wonderful place. The small college is a mecca for cultural events. The nursing home is one of the finest you'll ever fine. The downtown is viable and alive. The Smoky Valley is beautiful--especially when viewed from Coronado Heights. The biking trails add considerably (they weren't there when I lived there). The historic sites. Lindsborg is a great place to raise a family and a wonderful place to retire. I love this town and its Lutheran heritage.

Old 02-23-2012, 12:56 AM

12 posts, read 36,817 times
There are great small towns in Kansas. But be careful. I grew up in these small towns. I lived in Hays, Eudora, and Ottawa. Hays was okay, but you are super far from everything.
Ottawa however.... I hate that town. You couldn't even pay me to step foot in it's city limits. Every teenage girl is on drugs and/or pregnant. Every teenage boy is definitely on drugs. And if your kids are slightly "different" you might as well not even go there. The school will find every reason they can to kick your kids out. I made it a year and a half in their high school before I was expelled and I didn't do anything but show up one day with pink streaks in my hair. (of course they pinned some vandalism on me that I didn't do)
Eudora isn't horrible, and it's only 5 miles from Lawrence, but it's very clicky. My mom hated it there, she couldn't make any friends cause all the other middle aged ladies judged her because she let her 17 year old daughter wear all black (yes I was a goth kid, but I never did drugs or partied or any of the stuff that "normal" kids do)
Finally my parents moved me to Lawrence and I've been here for 10 years.
It's small too. It's 80,000 when college is in session. It has a lot of small town charm as we have a very active down town area and we are very community oriented. And if you live here long enough, you know EVERYONE just like in a small town.
But I'd suggest sticking close to the bigger towns, and watch the schools. There are some really good schools here and I don't doubt that Ottawa or Eudora has a good one, just the people aren't as friendly as they might think they are.
Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas