Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 10:40 PM

350 posts, read 848,359 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOLDONTIGHT View Post
Don't do it if you are thinking about western kansas---you might as well be living in hell---seriously! And yes the wind blows every day! And dirt ---forget about it! Blows......and the water is poisonous--most wells have arsenic and herbicides, pesticides etc from farmers~ and no trees here---just flat----- and no jobs really---no culture! (want to buy a farmhouse?
While I can't say it shouldn't be of any concern, fewer pesticides (which includes herbicides) and other farm pollutants manage to infiltrate all the way down to western KS water table hundreds of feet down, compared to eastern Kansas and even more so further east in the midwest, i.e. Indiana, Ohio, Michigan, etc. where the water table is as shallow as 15-20 feet down. Not saying its not a concern, but I certainly would not use that as a reason to live in Eastern KS instead of Western KS. Millions of people drink well water in the midwest that is much more contaminated than the ground water in Western KS.

I would also have to argue your point of no jobs. It is astonishing how many jobs across western KS are in the Country Advocate each week. There was an article in the Burlington Record a few weeks ago about a KS state rep who wants to start a program to help unemployed people in Eastern KS move to Western KS where there are labor shortages.

There is alot of wind though... I'll give you that!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas