U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2009, 10:17 AM

13 posts, read 47,859 times

Advertisements

Just trying to get info about small towns. Looking to move with 4 kids.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2009, 10:47 AM

1,662 posts, read 4,159,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nymommy0f4 View Post
From where are you moving?

Have you lived in a small town before? (Not just visited, but lived?)

What are your priorities? Proximity to certain jobs? Schools? Health care? Something else?

Small towns in KS are not like "Mayberry" - but some of them are appealing, charming and have much to offer. It just takes a tolerance for "small town life" which can be a shock if you are not prepared for it or it's not what you really wanted.

Old 01-24-2009, 11:15 AM

22,247 posts, read 38,843,151 times
Quote:
I would also expand your search to include Midwest states if you are coming from NY unless you have targeted KS for some particular reason.

Old 01-24-2009, 12:07 PM

I currently live in a small town in ny and as for proximity to work or health care I am willing to commute. I am used to doing all the work where I am living and know that small towns can be demanding for home responsiblities as larger towns have more availability.--

Old 01-24-2009, 12:11 PM

I currently live in a small town in ny and as for proximity to work or health care I am willing to commute. I am used to doing all the work where I am living and know that small towns can be demanding for home responsiblities as larger towns have more availability.--

Old 01-24-2009, 12:52 PM

1,662 posts, read 4,159,069 times
Quote:
Oh good, so you are already familiar with the basics and pace of small town living.

What do you do? Do you already have a job or line of work in mind?

With 4 kids, you will want to be sure to check out the schools in whatever area you choose. KS has VERY good schools, but not all areas and schools are good. Some of the smaller towns have a hard time attracting and retaining teachers and districts can be very clique-y.

KS is also a BIG state, so when you say you are willing to commute for work or healthcare -- how far are you willing to commute?

Old 01-24-2009, 04:45 PM

22,247 posts, read 38,843,151 times
Quote:
You will like some of the smaller towns in NE Kansas. I would look into towns in Jefferson County, Jackson County, and rural Leavenworth County. These counties are all rural, but not too far away from cities like Topeka, Lawrence, and the Kansas City metro area for a more diverse range of job offerings.

Old 01-24-2009, 06:10 PM

321 posts, read 1,122,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
You will like some of the smaller towns in NE Kansas. I would look into towns in Jefferson County, Jackson County, and rural Leavenworth County. These counties are all rural, but not too far away from cities like Topeka, Lawrence, and the Kansas City metro area for a more diverse range of job offerings.

I second that. We live in Jackson County, in a very small town of about 600, that is a 15 minute drive to Topeka. The schools here are great. The community is very welcoming. There is a small medical clinic here, a grocery store, gas station and post office. Housing is relatively inexpensive... down-right cheap compared to Topeka, though.

If you're not looking for something this small, there is another town about 13 minutes further north of Topeka that has a population of about 3300. It's a nice little town, too, with beautiful older homes, several parks and a city lake.

Old 01-25-2009, 07:54 AM

11,321 posts, read 11,333,632 times
I hate to be the devils advocate, but I can't imagine trading one of of those lovely little towns in upstate NY along the hudson for a rural town in Kansas, areas like Pine Bush, Groton and Cooperstown, are superb, I've had the pleasure of visiting over a 1000 little and big towns across the US. and before you over romanticize about midwestern towns , you should make a list of things you are willing to do with out, and a list of things you absolutely will not do with out. I remember driving in a wooded rural area in NY and Passed by an Opera House. that you won't see in small town Kansas. Kansas is not devoid of arts and culture but artist seem to like to live in NY , Kanss is a farming state and if you think that would cool to live around farms and every thing that goes with it ,you will have fun, Most of the people who move from NY,LA,Chi, that are happy here are near or in their 60's

Old 01-25-2009, 05:17 PM

I am hoping to get a teachers aid job or substituing of somesort in a school as im going for my degree in elementary education. As for commuting I will travel up 25 miles i guess for good Drs. and schools. Thank you for your help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas