Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2008, 01:24 AM

2 posts, read 7,361 times

Advertisements

I am considering to move to Beloit, as I got a teaching opportunity at the School District 273. What can you tell me about living there?
Thanks for your help!
Marga
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2008, 11:24 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Beloit seems like the typical small town to me. I don't know too much about the town itself, but most of the people were friendly. It is very rural with a longer drive to other bigger towns.

Old 05-03-2008, 04:13 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,752,651 times
Beloit is really a great place. It is a small town but big enough to have a hospital (Mitchell County), great parks and it is one of the better ran small towns- having its own electric and water utilities as well as an airport. It is in the Soloman Valley which has Lake Waconda and it is a very beautiful place in the fall and spring. If you are going to be teaching at Beloit Jr-Sr High, you will feel like you died and went to teaching heaven! The students there are all eager to learn and are fully cooperative with the teachers and the parents will know you on a first name basis. And you won't have problems with gangs, pants around the knees or "English as a Second Language" in Beloit. The only bad kids there are at the Beloit Youth Centre and they do not roam around the town. Major crime is unheard of there and, although there are sometimes small crimes (thefts and such), you need not worry. Many people there do not even lock their cars or doors.

Old 05-04-2008, 09:31 AM

99 posts, read 455,686 times
Marga,

See my post on Kansas Moderator where you posted first. I grew up 25 miles from Beloit.
I think that you would find it a charming, family, homey type of community. If you go there, you will probably meet a wealthy young farmer and decide to call it home.

JW

"Beloit is a pretty little agricultural oriented town near a beautiful lake. The cultural make-up of the area is czech/german/english. Unless some illegal Mexicans have managed to sneak in for farm jobs, there is no Hispanic base there at all.

Beloit is a thriving community with all the basic necessities. Extended shopping is available at Salina, which is about 50 miles south.

The spanish language that is usually taught in the school systems is the Castillian Spanish, or formal and proper Spanish. It is not the dialect that is spoken by the Mexicans for the most part, unless they come from families of social status around Mexico City. Just so that you know, the Spanish that is needed is conversational Spanish so that the students can converse with the immigrants. If you approach the people on the street and speak to them in Castillian Spanish, they look at you as though you are speaking a foreign language.....just so you know. I currently am living in New Mexico, hoping to get back into Kansas as soon as possible."

Last edited by Jim West; 05-04-2008 at 09:54 AM..

Old 05-07-2008, 08:05 PM

580 posts, read 1,680,639 times
I had a friend who stayed near Beloit, Ks ( not in the town ) ... but claims to be moving soon. Told me it all started when a guy would come over frequently for resources like food, paper, ect... She got so use to him coming over that she decided to give him the keys to her truck, he claimed he wanted to go downtown. She loan him the keys to the truck ... told me she knew he wasnt coming back the way he drove off. Days past, and the truck never return... Although she does claim every Saturday she see a truck that looks just like hers going down the gravel road heading towards downtown. She believes its hers, looks just like the man who use to come. She dont have the guts to stand in the road and stop the truck,... so she let it past.

Old 05-11-2008, 06:43 PM

99 posts, read 455,686 times
Mitchell County does have a Sheriff that would take care of that little issue...........

Old 07-25-2008, 11:57 AM

3 posts, read 18,664 times
Beloit's a pretty place. If you feel the need for a bigger town, the drive to Concordia, Salina, or Wichita aren't that far. Tons of churches if you are into that. Nice farming community always trying to improve on itself.

Old 02-16-2009, 09:16 PM

2 posts, read 10,623 times
nice little town close to salina ie shopping, good for kid. low cost of living,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas