Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 03:56 PM

7 posts, read 49,827 times

Advertisements

I went to high school in Hays and if you're looking to live in western Kansas, it is well educated considering the hospital and university. I live in Lawrence and I love Lawrence, but Hays is what it is. There are nice folks and there aren't nice folks. I enjoy Hays but I wouldn't move back there. There are good schools and a bunch of good people though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2009, 04:10 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Compared to other towns in western Kansas, Hays is by far the best option.

Old 03-05-2009, 07:11 PM

1,662 posts, read 4,501,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Compared to other towns in western Kansas, Hays is by far the best option.
Agreed. If I HAD to live in the western half of the state, I'd pick Hays. But given the options further East, I'd choose Manhattan, Lawrence or JoCo.

Old 03-05-2009, 07:24 PM

93,169 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Kansas is racially liberal and you should not have any trouble there but it is not likely there are many other blacks there for you to socialize with. Probably the only city west of Wichita that has any blacks is Dodge City. Maybe a few in Garden City.
What about Liberal? I know there is a decent sized Black community there, along with a huge Mexican population.

Old 03-05-2009, 07:53 PM

12,953 posts, read 13,665,225 times
I think if some one want's small town Kansas with SOME diversity . I would look at South East Kansas . Its got some economic problems all over but there are a few African Americans (some professional) spead out all over ,Ft.Scott 5%, Pittsburg3.3%, Parsons 8.2% , Coffeyville 12%, Independence 7.%, Oswego 3.3%, Chetopa 2%, Most of these small towns are losing population . Land is cheap. but only a few major employers. At one time most of the African Americans in Kansas Lived in SEK. one of the exodusers towns was Baxter Springs, and Also a Colored regiment was there along with one in Ft. Scott.

Old 03-05-2009, 08:36 PM

378 posts, read 1,620,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_k_k View Post
I don't know about KCK, but if you try Wichita, while you will find a black population I think you'll find that it's surprisingly segregated. I don't think Kansas is necessarily more racially backward than most other parts of the country, but a lot of Kansas is rural and rural and racially backward do sort of tend to correlate most places.
As for Wichita, I don't think it is surprisingly segregated. From my experiences, racial prejudice is few and far between (of course it exists, but I do not encounter in my day-to-day life). The African-American population is about 40k in Wichita (11.4% of the population). You'll find that Wichita is actually more diverse than you think. In fact, it has the third-highest Vietnamese-American population in the Midwest.

Old 03-06-2009, 04:56 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,752,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
What about Liberal? I know there is a decent sized Black community there, along with a huge Mexican population.
That is because Liberal is..... well liberal!

Old 03-06-2009, 07:45 AM

4,678 posts, read 9,887,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertjohnson View Post
As a certified member of an interacial marrage I object to these posts of manufactured content that cast stink and suspission upon large areas of our great nation. Speaking for the Midwest I disagree with your false, foul and libelous post.
I disagree with your post, I'm also in an interracial marriage and can say that We've experienced racism in Kansas, Missouri, Illinois, and even here in Tennessee. The only place we haven't faced open " in your face " racism is Florida.

We've even faced open racism in California and New York.

There really is no place to escape racism. If you live in the country you get racism from whites, if you live in the city you get racism from all other ethnicities.

Old 03-06-2009, 09:27 AM

6,560 posts, read 14,453,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athfo View Post
As for Wichita, I don't think it is surprisingly segregated. From my experiences, racial prejudice is few and far between (of course it exists, but I do not encounter in my day-to-day life). The African-American population is about 40k in Wichita (11.4% of the population). You'll find that Wichita is actually more diverse than you think. In fact, it has the third-highest Vietnamese-American population in the Midwest.
I didn't say it wasn't diverse. I just said that the black population seemed pretty segregated, which has been my firm impression during my visits there. That isn't too rare outside the South in my experience. I once heard a black man quoted as saying: "In the South, they don't care how close I get, long as I don't get too big. In the North, they don't care how big I get, long as I don't get too close."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas