Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 03:55 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,883,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modron View Post
Please keep in mind that Wichita is the largest city in Kansas. The Kansas City metro area is larger and has more offerings, but that includes the Missouri side of the KC metro area. Other than that, you're looking at slim pickings for young adult activities in Kansas.
Even though the Kansas side of the KC area is suburban and there is not one city larger than Wichita on that side of the metro, the population of the Kansas side of the metro alone is about 700,000-800,000 people and the KC-Lawrence metro area is around to 2.2 million which really dwarfs Wichita.

I’m not saying anything bad about Wichita, but only saying that Kansas basically has a large metropolitan area associated with it. That is something that a lot of Midwestern states do not have.

It’s also something that is very overlooked by people on the coasts, in other big cities, more populated states and overseas. Kansas and metro KCMO, (because of its association with Kansas) is very underrated and has an image of only the wizard of oz, cows, tornadoes, brown, flat etc.

Wichita is a nice small city, rural Kansas is not near as bad as people think, I would rather live in most parts of rural Kansas (flint hills, near KC etc) than in rural Texas, Oklahoma, Nebraska, Iowa, Indiana, Illinois, etc. Kansas is not flat, it's one of the prettier states in the Midwest, especially between KC and Wichita and west of KC.

It really depends on what part of the state you live in though as to how you would like living in Kansas every day. I would think as a younger person that living near a major metro area like KC would be a must, but people keep telling me that you can survive in rural or isolated small towns or cities like those in central Kansas .

Regardless, I think Kansas offers as much culture and nightlife and urban/big city entertainment options and outdoors activities a state could offer so long as you include the KC area and sometimes the Lakes in central Missouri as part of the overall package of living in Kansas. People that live in Kansas are always in the lake of the Ozarks, metro KC attractions, metro Denver attractions and the rocky mountains. Rural KS is as nice or nicer than most midwstern states, it has metro KC, a small city (Wichita), a couple of nice college towns (Lawrence and Manhattan) and it’s close to Missouri and Colorado for mass amounts of outdoor entertainment, big cities, theme parks etc.

I know a lot of people don’t like that fact that I don’t like suburban Johnson County in Kansas. But that is really the only area in Kansas that really rubs me the wrong way. Overall, it’s a great state and like KC, a well kept secret in the states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2009, 05:43 PM

6 posts, read 38,769 times
Well, if you're used to the hustle & bustle of the big city, forget it. Most of the people I've seen in the month or so I've been at Ft Riley drive either exactly at the spped limit or 5+ MPH under it. Also, on post I have not found a single place I can pass those slower drivers. There is a brand new PX that just opened in Feb that is very nice. As for weather, I've seen all for seasons hit this post within the last week alone. There is a lot to do here & you don't have to look too hard to find any of it. While the mojrity of things to do are geared more towards the younger crowd (nearby Manhattan is home to Kansas State U afterall), I've found a lot of things to do otherwise in the surrounding communities. If you willing to drive even 1 hr your options are opened even more. The local populas is generally well mannered & quite friendly as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas