Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 08:19 AM

2,707 posts, read 6,232,941 times

Advertisements

Tornado warnings are extremely common. Some weeks in May and June we'll have warnings every evening. The clouds will boil and churn, a few funnels might even touch down, but statistically speaking, they're usually in pastures and fields because that's mostly what we have around here...

Benkelman, NE (just a few miles north and east of Sainty) had a tornado that came through a couple of years ago. It demolished outbuildings, a barn or two, and half of a house. But no one was hurt. Generally speaking though, a tornado cell doesn't cause damage so much by the funnel cloud as by the hail that comes with it.
And tornado warnings tend to be fairly wide-reaching because tornados are so unpredicatable. But, because their path tends to be pretty small, and our part of the world is so open and uncrowded, the likelihood of actually getting hit by the funnel is pretty small.

BTW, I've lived most of my life in northern Nebraska, or the Dakotas and I happen to think our winters down here are really mild! lol

Solid Zone 5, if you're a gardner.

Erin

Last edited by itsMeFred; 04-04-2009 at 08:43 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2009, 08:58 AM

3,339 posts, read 9,352,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsMeFred View Post
Tornado warnings are extremely common. Some weeks in May and June we'll have warnings every evening. The clouds will boil and churn, a few funnels might even touch down, but statistically speaking, they're usually in pastures and fields because that's mostly what we have around here...

BTW, I've lived most of my life in northern Nebraska, or the Dakotas and I happen to think our winters down here are really mild! lol

Erin

Wow, that's a lot of warnings! We are in south Johnson County and have been here for two years, and I think we had three warnings last year, in early May, possibly in early June and in mid-September when the dregs of Hurricane Ike came through here. I can't remember the year before, but it couldn't have been more than a few. I have to admit, they never freaked me out when we lived in Chicago, but they bother me A LOT in Kansas. So I felt a lot better when our State Farm agent told me the vast majority of tornadoes will only produce minor property damage, and the ones that demolish homes are extremely rare here.

Old 04-04-2009, 09:59 AM

46 posts, read 137,501 times
Default Where in No Dak

Quote:

Benkelman, NE (just a few miles north and east of Sainty) had a tornado that came through a couple of years ago. It demolished outbuildings, a barn or two, and half of a house. But no one was hurt. Generally speaking though, a tornado cell doesn't cause damage so much by the funnel cloud as by the hail that comes with it.
And tornado warnings tend to be fairly wide-reaching because tornados are so unpredicatable. But, because their path tends to be pretty small, and our part of the world is so open and uncrowded, the likelihood of actually getting hit by the funnel is pretty small.

Erin

Thanks so much for your reply.
We spent 5 yrs in No Dak, worked at Minot AFB, lived in Mohall and Westhope.

Scotty

Old 04-04-2009, 10:38 AM

378 posts, read 1,621,243 times
Quote:

Erin
It is actually rare if a county (or section of a county, as is the standard now) receives a tornado warning every evening for weeks straight. Of course, during the spring and summer months, it is quite common to have severe weather outbreaks throughout the state - and the regularity may extend to each evening. But tornadoes in the same small area every evening? No... Tornado watches (conditions being favorable for tornado development), perhaps, but not tornado warnings (the imminent threat of a tornado).

Don't be afraid of severe thunderstorms and tornadoes if you move to the Great Plains. A large percentage of the population has not and will never actually witness a tornado in-person.

Old 04-04-2009, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by athfo View Post
It is actually rare if a county (or section of a county, as is the standard now) receives a tornado warning every evening for weeks straight. Of course, during the spring and summer months, it is quite common to have severe weather outbreaks throughout the state - and the regularity may extend to each evening. But tornadoes in the same small area every evening? No... Tornado watches (conditions being favorable for tornado development), perhaps, but not tornado warnings (the imminent threat of a tornado).

Don't be afraid of severe thunderstorms and tornadoes if you move to the Great Plains. A large percentage of the population has not and will never actually witness a tornado in-person.

Warnings aren't just for "imminent threat of a tornado."
From you wiki link:
Quote:
A tornado warning is issued when:
It is also sometimes issued when, depending on the circumstances:
And I think you misunderstood my comment.
I said some weeks, ie, there are a weeks where we'll have a warning every night. Not that we have a warning every night for weeks on end.

Old 04-04-2009, 11:35 AM

378 posts, read 1,621,243 times
Quote:

Warnings aren't just for "imminent threat of a tornado."
But those are the criteria for the imminent threat of a tornado, and thus the criteria for issuing a tornado warning.

Quote:
It can be issued after either a tornado or funnel cloud has already been spotted, or if there are radar indications that a tornado may be possible.
Anyway, you're right - there are some weeks where severe weather breaks out every night it seems. My point is that tornado warnings do not happen as frequently as you suggest, but as you said, I think we might be misunderstanding each other. Regardless, people needn't be afraid of the weather when they move to Kansas.

Last edited by athfo; 04-04-2009 at 11:50 AM..

Old 04-04-2009, 12:05 PM

Quote:
But those are the criteria for the imminent threat of a tornado, and thus the criteria for issuing a tornado warning.
Ah, I misunderstood. You said imminent "threat" and I read it as imminent "tornado."
This, for example:
Quote:
A thunderstorm with a threshold strong, tight rotation signature is indicated by Doppler capable weather radar,
doesn't always mean a tornado is imminent...

For that matter, we had a warning issued last summer based on nothing more than the fact that Goodland called my husband (storm spotter) who reported that we had rotation literally over our house and they issued a warning for our area. It never did do anything in our area.
Two counties north, on the other hand, did see touch downs...

Ie, the threat was indeed there.

Quote:
Regardless, people needn't be afraid of the weather when they move to Kansas.
I agree. I'd much rather have prairie weather than hurricanes, or earthquakes, or a couple feet of lake-effect snow!

Old 04-04-2009, 12:31 PM

Default Thanks From Alaska

Quote:

I appreciate your info very much. We've kind of made up out mind, Kansas is where we'll end up.
We both grew up in Ky where tornado warnings, on occasion, were not uncommon during spring/summer. I guess fearful because one associates Kansas with tornadoes...Thanks Alot Wizard of Oz! hehehehehehe
The cost of living is most reasonable and we'll have 4 seasons. We're in Alaska (central interior), where we have winter for 8 months, just finsihing our 6th winter. Though we like it here we're ready for a change. We spent 4 yrs in No Dak and liked that but would like to be a little south of there for retirement time.

Thanks,

Scotty

Old 04-04-2009, 08:38 PM

822 posts, read 2,046,887 times
I have lived in Kansas my entire life and I have yet to see my first funnel cloud, let alone a tornado.

Old 04-04-2009, 09:17 PM

Default Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cp1969 View Post
I have lived in Kansas my entire life and I have yet to see my first funnel cloud, let alone a tornado.
How long has that been...if I may ask.
I spoke with a perosn today in St Francis today, said he's been there 51 yrs and has observed (1) tornado...the odds are in my favor for safety.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas