Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2006, 02:59 PM

13 posts, read 46,436 times

Advertisements

We lived in Wichita for 9 years and loved it, good shopping, restaurants, nightlife, especially the growing downtown and north east side. If you don't like public school there are some awesome private schools. Housing prices are reasonable, property taxes are high but nothing compared to Florida where we are now, insurance is reasonably priced. The crime is not bad, as with any other city just don't go where you shouldn't be anyway after dark.

Old 08-12-2006, 01:12 PM

409 posts, read 1,749,066 times
Oh, another good thing about kanas is thatthe winters are relatively mild compared to northern states.

Old 08-13-2006, 10:13 AM

6,044 posts, read 24,098,308 times
My aunt moved from NJ to Valley Center, KS about 14 years ago and loves it; she is forever trying to convince me to move out by her. It's easily commutable to Wichita. The town she is in seems nice and peaceful. She made friends with her neighbors immediately. My cousin went to junior high and high school there and turned out fine so I'm assuming the schools are okay.

Old 08-15-2006, 07:11 PM

2 posts, read 13,510 times
Thumbs up What's so good about Kansas

I'm a "lifer" in Kansas...Southwest Kansas, I should say. I never expected to spend my life in the state of Kansas but that is what has transpired. I reside in Garden City which is approximately 3 hours west of Wichita so I do go to Wichita for shopping and medical purposes. Living in Kansas is a simplistic life. We have normal problems like any other state but I believe Kansas has unique opportunities. However, I am also a person who believes you make a choice to be content no matter what location you are at currently. Good luck to you!

Old 08-19-2006, 12:06 AM

5 posts, read 27,988 times
Hi,
I have lived here in Central Kansas for 16 years, from NW of Chicago. Besides the flat land, I love it. Much more affordable living then Chicagoland(born there). I live in Ellinwood, Ks, lived in Hutchinson, Ks., and Lyons, KS/all ok, I use to travel 35 miles a day for work one way, just to have the smaller town living.
Kansas is ok! Depending on county, taxes are lower, much lower than Illinios

Old 08-19-2006, 07:16 AM

5 posts, read 30,476 times
Talking There are lots of different options

In which area of Kansas are you interested? I live in East Central Kansas, and I like the low real estate prices (compared to the rest of the country), the opportunities to get a good job (there are a lot), several choices for higher education, good public schools and a focus on values. Additionally, in my opinion (at least in the KC area), people are interested in comtemporary trends. It's not hard to find a good bottle of wine or see a good band/concert, for example. It's certainly not a backward miswestern city.

The challenges are hot summers. The winters have become more mild recently, but are still cold (especially in January and February). Also, while there are a lot of parks and hiking trails, Kansas City doesn't offer the amenities of the coast. Obviously there are no mountains or oceans. However, the positive side of things is we're right in the middle of the country. You can get anywhere else relatively cheaply and quickly.

Also, for the most part people are accepting and polite. Some of that has changed in recent years as more people have populated the area, but for the most part- good manners prevail.

Old 09-25-2006, 03:34 PM

14 posts, read 71,437 times
Hi Sevdie. You say property taxes are high...can you go into a little more detail? I'm from Calif. so we have Prop 13 protections. For instance; taxes on a property approx. $175,000 are about $2,000 yearly...these are estimations. And, how is the weather in southeastern Ks...around Independence or Montgomery Co. I've heard few tornadoes, not so humid and not lots of snow/ice...I actually would love to live in an area where there is snow but really hate humidity. Im planning to visit in the near future to see how the area feels. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Old 10-04-2006, 09:45 AM

213 posts, read 765,544 times
Default Kansas bigotry

SEVDIE: You mentioned the Kansas bigotry. I have 2 adopted mixed race sons, one is Eskimo/white and the other is black/white. We are thinking about Stillwater, OKlahoma as well as Lawrence or Manhattan, KS areas due to Architecuture/Engineering schools for our older son. We would buy rural property within 20 miles of any of these towns. Are there any particular races that the bigotry may apply to, or just anyone of color in general. Anyone else is welcome to comment on this and also on the safety of the Manhattan, KS area.

Old 10-04-2006, 01:14 PM

16 posts, read 80,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan View Post
SEVDIE: You mentioned the Kansas bigotry. I have 2 adopted mixed race sons, one is Eskimo/white and the other is black/white. We are thinking about Stillwater, OKlahoma as well as Lawrence or Manhattan, KS areas due to Architecuture/Engineering schools for our older son. We would buy rural property within 20 miles of any of these towns. Are there any particular races that the bigotry may apply to, or just anyone of color in general. Anyone else is welcome to comment on this and also on the safety of the Manhattan, KS area.
Lawrence is the most open-minded and liberal of all of the cities you mention and a great city to live in.

Old 10-05-2006, 11:55 AM

10,181 posts, read 11,168,640 times
I live in SW Kansas and needless to say, I'm trying to get out of here. It's over run by those who choose to cross our borders. Hardly any decent jobs, other then working in meat packing plants or walmart.

I've lived here only 6 plus years, but I'm looking to move back East where I originally came from.

My husband has lived here most of his life and he's fed up with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas