Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 04:13 PM

2 posts, read 4,820 times

Advertisements

To day there was a meeting at the Little Store in Kiowa Ks. It turned out to be a firing meeting more then anything else. My sister-in-law's husband had a stroke one day ago so she took some time off to go see him and tend to his needs, our boss felt differently about this, and told her that she did not need to go see him and there was no real emergency, the boss said to her hand me your key clock out and leave you are fired. Now my other sister-in-law that works there is due with here first baby in 2 weeks she was the one to take the other sister in law to see her husband she too was fired quote " you are pregnant and due soon I don't want you delivering here in the store and there was no need for you to drive up to see you brother in the hospital, give me your key clock out your fired. Now me seeing what our boss is doing trying to be rational about all that was taking place I said to her " now you are going about this all wrong, there is no need for all of this, and your are violating our rights as employees by talking to the customers about us and giving out personal/family information, slandering us daily, you just cant do this, there was a reason why they went to the hospital, they just did not decide to take the day off. She then told me she has every right to talk to the customers about us and it is no ones business what she tells them and she will continue to do this and if I don't agree with what she says give her my key clock out your fired. Well not agreeing with her and what she was doing and saying I handed her my key. What can we do? I cant believe what she did today. She fired one for her husband having a stroke and the other for being pregnant and me for not agreeing with what she can or cant do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2009, 04:18 PM

80 posts, read 246,168 times
"My sister-in-law's husband had a stroke one day ago......"

Wouldn't your sister-in-law's husband....be your brother?
Or am I missing something here?

Old 04-22-2009, 04:29 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,255,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data_poster View Post
"My sister-in-law's husband had a stroke one day ago......"

Wouldn't your sister-in-law's husband....be your brother?
Or am I missing something here?
It could have been the spouses' sister, making it the OP sister-in-law.

It sounds like you have a real case. Have you contacted the equal employment opportunity people?

Old 04-22-2009, 04:31 PM

9,732 posts, read 9,679,656 times
Employees do not have "rights" other than those spelled out in their employment agreement.

Old 04-22-2009, 04:34 PM

16 posts, read 43,329 times
USATODAY.com - Pregnant workers report growing discrimination
Facts About Pregnancy Discrimination

Go talk to a lawyer that knows about this sort of thing?
They should be able to say who can do what about this. From what I read you can't fire a pregnant women for being pregnant. Good Luck

Old 04-22-2009, 04:38 PM

16 posts, read 43,329 times
Kansas Wrongful Termination Laws - Labor Law Talk Blog

Old 04-22-2009, 05:30 PM

321 posts, read 1,208,610 times
The pregnant sister-in-law may have a case if the boss specifically stated she was being fired because she's pregnant. Hopefully, there were more witnesses to these statements, than just family, because it may come across as sour grapes.

Old 04-22-2009, 09:25 PM

3,855 posts, read 13,223,598 times
Kudos for trying to tell your boss they were out of line. But you should have been prepared to get canned.

If anyone (aside from you) heard them say they fired a woman because she was near birth that would be an easy lawsuit to win. The company may as well pull out the checkbook and settle right then and there because they could never win that case.

Old 04-22-2009, 10:59 PM

136 posts, read 376,476 times
If ever there was a textbook case of the Peter Principle, your (former) boss is it. People like her have tragic lives. And deservedly so, for the most part.

Old 04-22-2009, 11:04 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,324,340 times
It also depends on how many employees there are with this company I think its within 45 miles. The may have to go by the Family Medical Leave Act, meaning that your sister in law indeed has a right to take time off to see her husband.

My guess is that this boss needed to get rid of a couple people and this is how she choose to do it.

I hope you guys can find another job because I would HATE to work in that kind of environment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
View detailed profiles of: