Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 10:32 AM

16 posts, read 31,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Quesera provided excellent links.

Are you moving to Hays due to FHSU?

Be prepared for a complete 180 in just about every way possible compared to northern Michigan. Hays has no trees at all compared to Michigan, but the skies/thunderstorms are quite amazing out there.
People don't move across the country to find a place exactly like they left, do they?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2010, 11:16 AM

26,408 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverfromHays View Post
People don't move across the country to find a place exactly like they left, do they?
Hays isn't exactly Midwestern. It is more High Plains/Western.

If you have ever lived or driven through Ohio, Indiana, Michigan, or Wisconsin you would know that it is a complete 180 difference compared to western Kansas.

Old 04-25-2010, 11:35 AM

And your answer to my question is? I assume since you quoted it you read it?

Old 04-25-2010, 11:41 AM

Quote:
And your answer to my question is? I assume since you quoted it you read it?
I did read it.

Well, if they are expecting lots of greenery and a good amount of trees like the Midwest has they will be disappointed I just find mostly brown, semi-arid/windy areas to be undesirable places to live personally.

Most people prefer lush green grass and wooded landscapes. That is the prime reasons why most suburban areas of KC are so wooded along with KENTUCKY bluegrass. A wooded lot also often adds to overall property value of a well maintained house. Hmm, Easterners came to KC and then recreated much of the natural landscape from the states further to the east. It doesn't surprise me at all. Heck, I even had silver maple, sugar maple, white pine, and birch trees that grew in our yard in Overland Park.

Last edited by GraniteStater; 04-25-2010 at 02:31 PM..

Old 04-25-2010, 11:44 AM

Quote:
If one could transpose the economy of TX into MI or OH I think many more people would desire to live there given the low cost of living, well regarded colleges, and four seasons. I am very fair skinned so I could never live in TX. The sun would do me in.

Old 04-25-2010, 11:58 AM

Low well sir if you transpose the TX economy with OH and MI the cost of living up there wouldn't be low anymore would it? The rust belt states have been ravaged in the last couple decades thus the low cost of living.

Remember that beauty is in the eye of the beholder, your idea of beauty and mine could be completely opposite. Is it really necessary to belittle every place that doesn't fit YOUR ideal of beautiful when someone posts a question? I mean really. Why are you so miserable, if you don't like where you live, move.

Old 04-25-2010, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Low well sir if you transpose the TX economy with OH and MI the cost of living up there wouldn't be low anymore would it? The rust belt states have been ravaged in the last couple decades thus the low cost of living.

Remember that beauty is in the eye of the beholder, your idea of beauty and mine could be completely opposite. Is it really necessary to belittle every place that doesn't fit YOUR ideal of beautiful when someone posts a question? I mean really. Why are you so miserable, if you don't like where you live, move.
No, I am not miserable at all. You also have little understanding of the Great Lakes states either. The broad brush Rust Belt term is applicable to some areas, but definitely not other areas.

Last edited by GraniteStater; 04-25-2010 at 02:31 PM..

Old 04-25-2010, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
No, I am not miserable at all. You also have little understanding of the Great Lakes states either. The broad brush Rust Belt term is applicable to some areas, but not definitely not other areas.
However the states we were talking about, MI and OH, are in the rust belt. I don't know what goes on in your head but i'm talking about what you type. How do you know what I know about the Great Lake States I've lived in 10 States in this country and spent considerable time in 83 great large US cities including ALL the big ones (keep a diary). I've seen you post your grandiose experience of residency in Kansas City, Indiana, and New Hampshire, and now 4 mos in Louisville.

Old 04-25-2010, 02:33 PM

Quote:
However the states we were talking about, MI and OH, are in the rust belt. I don't know what goes on in your head but i'm talking about what you type. How do you know what I know about the Great Lake States I've lived in 10 States in this country and spent considerable time in 83 great large US cities including ALL the big ones (keep a diary). I've seen you post your grandiose experience of residency in Kansas City, Indiana, and New Hampshire, and now 4 mos in Louisville.
I have lived in two cities in Indiana and had an internship in the Chicagoland area. I have covered and visited most Great Lakes towns and cities by car so I know the area quite well.

Old 04-25-2010, 03:08 PM

Actually Hays is not a bad place. It is by far the best city in western Kansas. I lived there for a year and a half.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas