Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2009, 09:04 PM

10 posts, read 51,491 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend will be attending KU to complete his Ph.D. in the Fall. Unfortunately, he's on the wait list for the graduate housing so we are scrambling to find him a one-bedroom apartment near campus.

I would love specific suggestions for apartments in the area. We'll be visiting later this week and trying to sort out his living situation.

We'd like to stay at around $450.

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2009, 09:19 PM

612 posts, read 1,843,265 times
Oh boy $450 is going to be hard to find around there or anywhere as far as I'm concerned. The cheapest I found was in the higher 500s for a one bedroom but not too close to the campus. That was 2 years ago.

Have you thought about staying with other students? You could maybe rent out a room for a semester or until your situation is taken care of.

Best of luck!

Old 07-07-2009, 12:53 AM

378 posts, read 1,621,094 times
I found a 1-bedroom near campus for about $500/mo.

Old 07-07-2009, 10:41 AM

107 posts, read 507,321 times
Any of the apartment complexes in town will probably be over $500 for a single. Maybe not, though. There are several new complexes going up, but I don't think they'll be any cheaper.

You're better off looking in the local paper (ljworld.com) or on craigslist for an apt. There are still a lot of "for rent" signs around town. You will definitely be able to find a single or studio for under $500.

I would have your boyfriend email his dept and contact some of the other grad students for advice (the dept secretary will be able to distribute his request to a grad student listserv). In my experience, grad students are helpful and will try hard to help people new to their dept. Its possible someone could put him up for a while on the cheap. I have even known people to pitch a tent in someone else's lawn (for free!) for a month or two while they were between apts. But more practically, someone should be able to help him make decisions on good/bad parts of town for students, buslines, proximity to campus, etc, and then he can weed out the bad apt ads.

Good luck!

Old 07-10-2009, 07:39 AM

117 posts, read 340,746 times
Hawks Pointe 1 is where I stayed my Senior year. It's 2 mins east of Mass St and it's very quiet. When I was there 2 years ago I paid 495 and that included all of my utilities except electric which was fine. It's not too big but it was good enough. It's just down the street from the football stadium and during games it's not that bad as far as noise or traffic. It's off of 7th and Florida
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas