Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2017, 08:37 PM

3,806 posts, read 2,098,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Where the hell is Witchita? Is that a place where women have pointed noses and pointed hats and fly around at night on brooms?
Yeah and they all cast spells and own big, black cauldrons, lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2017, 08:33 AM

44 posts, read 98,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanenthusiastfromKC View Post
Ok Wichita is much better, but what the hell.... Wichita is no thriving vibrant city nor major they are both depressing cities in Kansas. KC blows both out of the water. Now KC is a major, thriving, vibrant city not Wichita.

Excuse me? Well lets see here. Wichita recently built a new airport terminal, has ongoing freeway expansion projects, its downtown area is seeing one of the biggest renaissance in its history, Cargill is building a brand new headquarters from one of its major divisions here, the NCAA (Men's basketball) is bringing part of the first and second rounds of the tournament to Wichita next year and again a couple of years after that thanks in part to Wichita State's successful basketball program the last few years and move to a bigger conference, one of the major aircraft companies (Spirit) just announced a multi-billion dollar expansion in the city which will include new facilities, a new baseball stadium is now in the works to replace the dilapidated and very old Lawrence Du Mont stadium and they are very close to announcing a new minor league baseball team that is associated with a major league team, something the city has lacked for a number of years now. A brand new, state of the art and centralized downtown library just recently opened, a possible new convention center could be coming down the pipeline to replace the old and outdated blue domed Century II, its Old Town Entertainment district is thriving and the Delano District across the river from downtown is thriving as well with new developments popping up which include new apartments, condos, restaurants, and more.

If none of those are signs of a vibrant or thriving city then I don't know what is. Wichita is definitely no Kansas City, I certainly agree with that, but Wichita is NOT a depressing city by any stretch of the means. I at one time hated Wichita and wanted to get away from this area as soon as possible, but not anymore. I love it and I'm happy to see the great changes that it is now going through, some of the biggest I've ever seen. It does have its challenges and there are certainly things that could be done better, but what has been happening here in Wichita the last 5-10 years has been pretty amazing.

I try to keep up with what's going on in Kansas City as well and I'm happy to see that they're going to build a brand new airport terminal now.

Old 12-24-2017, 10:46 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,413,458 times
Excuse me? Well lets see here. Wichita recently built a new airport terminal, has ongoing freeway expansion projects, its downtown area is seeing one of the biggest renaissance in its history, Cargill is building a brand new headquarters from one of its major divisions here, the NCAA (Men's basketball) is bringing part of the first and second rounds of the tournament to Wichita next year and again a couple of years after that thanks in part to Wichita State's successful basketball program the last few years and move to a bigger conference, one of the major aircraft companies (Spirit) just announced a multi-billion dollar expansion in the city which will include new facilities, a new baseball stadium is now in the works to replace the dilapidated and very old Lawrence Du Mont stadium and they are very close to announcing a new minor league baseball team that is associated with a major league team, something the city has lacked for a number of years now. A brand new, state of the art and centralized downtown library just recently opened, a possible new convention center could be coming down the pipeline to replace the old and outdated blue domed Century II, its Old Town Entertainment district is thriving and the Delano District across the river from downtown is thriving as well with new developments popping up which include new apartments, condos, restaurants, and more.

If none of those are signs of a vibrant or thriving city then I don't know what is. Wichita is definitely no Kansas City, I certainly agree with that, but Wichita is NOT a depressing city by any stretch of the means. I at one time hated Wichita and wanted to get away from this area as soon as possible, but not anymore. I love it and I'm happy to see the great changes that it is now going through, some of the biggest I've ever seen. It does have its challenges and there are certainly things that could be done better, but what has been happening here in Wichita the last 5-10 years has been pretty amazing.

I try to keep up with what's going on in Kansas City as well and I'm happy to see that they're going to build a brand new airport terminal now.

I, for one, want to thank you, Defiant6, for letting everyone know what Wichita's been up to. I had no clue. Wow. They've been rippin'!

Old 12-26-2017, 09:55 PM

90 posts, read 112,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defiant6 View Post

My bad.... I didn't know any of this info... Last time I went there it was 2010 and I am planning to go back soon to check it out. (I live in KC.) Last time I was there it was just... boring... way too boring for it's decent size. It was very bland and seemed depressed. I hope it has made some changes for the better.

Old 12-27-2017, 01:40 PM

1,881 posts, read 1,002,266 times
Defiant6 nailed it.. If you are looking to be like Dallas or Chicago.. You have no business being in Wichita.. It won't make you happy and will be miserable. But for a medium sized metro area in a state with big time issues. Wichita is doing well at the moment. I am hoping it eventually expands it labor force and gets some better quality jobs but this is better than it has been in the past.

Old 12-27-2017, 03:37 PM

30,855 posts, read 36,750,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starflight98 View Post
Topeka vs. Witchita

I REALLY think Witchita is not a very good place to live. Topeka totally over rules them with there excellent education and good qaulity.I am not saying everyone agrees with me, but that is my opinion. But I want to hear yours. BRING IT ON!!!!!
Yeah, "there" educational system is great.

Old 12-28-2017, 08:24 AM

44 posts, read 98,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanenthusiastfromKC View Post
My bad.... I didn't know any of this info... Last time I went there it was 2010 and I am planning to go back soon to check it out. (I live in KC.) Last time I was there it was just... boring... way too boring for it's decent size. It was very bland and seemed depressed. I hope it has made some changes for the better.
I understand. What Wichita offers definitely won't be for everyone especially if you're used to things that KC has. On the other hand it has come a long way from where it was in the 1980s and 90s and that's when I thought Wichita was truly boring.

Old 12-28-2017, 07:15 PM

639 posts, read 755,821 times
I think Wichita is a wonderful city. Kansas (Topeka/government) should have spent more time/invested in building up Wichita over poaching businesses and people from the KC metro to the Kansas side. The investment would have been a better pay off for the state to have Wichita the size of Oklahoma City. Wichita is charming, clean and has all the basics one needs. Topeka is not much more of a place than KCK in my opinion.

Old 12-29-2017, 01:13 AM

1,065 posts, read 591,112 times
Relative to Topeka or Wichita, it's a crapshoot, just whatever interaction you have with a business, be careful. They probably misspelled your name or over charged you or gave you the wrong medicine or misfiled your payment, etc. This is a direct result of marginally literate workers due to the failed education system during the past regime. (Your post with the misspelled Wichita and incorrect use of their is tolerable in a forum, btw.) Industry and businesses are aware, which is why they're not scouting Kansas anymore. Vote Topeka because you can take Amtrak to KC and hang out for a day or two, use Uber when you can.

Old 12-29-2017, 04:27 PM

767 posts, read 1,308,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovekcmo View Post
I think Wichita is a wonderful city. Kansas (Topeka/government) should have spent more time/invested in building up Wichita over poaching businesses and people from the KC metro to the Kansas side. The investment would have been a better pay off for the state to have Wichita the size of Oklahoma City. Wichita is charming, clean and has all the basics one needs. Topeka is not much more of a place than KCK in my opinion.
The state has thrown quite a bit of money at Wichita over the years, but none of it sticks because the area can't attract an educated workforce, and when initiatives start to train locals to be that educated workforce, they just end up leaving the city with their new training. Wichita tries to do ambitious things like Waterwalk just to have the developer get caught up in bankruptcy and then have all development stop because of the recession. The one thing the state could do better is making sure that Wichita receives a fair amount of KDOT funding. It is well known around the state that JoCo always gets priority on funding, design times, land acquisitions, and everything else from the state and KDOT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas