U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 08:21 PM

97 posts, read 169,606 times

Advertisements

My husband and I (Mid 40's) will be relocating to the Fort Riley area (from NY) soon to assist our daughter-in-law while our son serves in Iraq. What is the job market like? I am a recent Medical Assistant graduate and my husband has 30 years experience in residential construction. We need to secure jobs and locate a nice area to live. We have been to Abilene but would like to be closer to the base. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2009, 02:33 PM

71 posts, read 225,166 times
Hi,

Here's information on Manhattan, the largest city in the area (51,000): www.manhattan.org. Here's info on jobs in Manhattan: Manhattan Jobs - NationJob.com Careers, Work & Employment opportunities in Manhattan, Kansas.

Best wishes!

Old 09-15-2009, 11:41 AM

Thank you KSUgrad. What do you know about the Junction City area? What about the weather? I understand it gets very cold. What about the liklihood of tornadoes?

Old 09-15-2009, 12:10 PM

71 posts, read 225,166 times
Junction City has about 22,000 people. City of Junction City link: City of Junction City, Kansas. Junction City Convention & Visitor's Buearu site: Geary County CVB - Official Website. Weather.com Manhattan weather averages: Average Weather for Manhattan, KS - Temperature and Precipitation

Best wishes!

Old 09-15-2009, 09:33 PM

48 posts, read 312,386 times
Hi, I have lived on In the fort riley area for 5.5 years now. My husband is in the Army and currently deployed for the 2nd time. But a lot of people joke that junction city is junk city or the junk. There are a lot of great places to stay in junction city it all depends on what your looking for, there are a lot of beautiful houses for rent in the "spring valley" area its across from highway 77. If you have a nursing degree or anything dealing with the medical field then I think you could easily find a job there are always jobs openings on Fort Riley as well as off base hospitals in the local community. Manhattan is also a great place it has more restaurants and things to do but it also has a lot of college kids there. Manhattan is about a 15-20 mins drive to Fort Riley depending on where you are in Manhattan.

Also the construction off post has slowed a little but it is still booming there are a lot of soldiers coming back from deployment right now but as soon as a big group comes home a big group leaves. Fort Riley area is expected to grow and the demand for houses are really high and there is also a lot of construction on fort Riley there building new housing communities as well as keeping the houses that they have now in decent shape. Picerne is the company that handles the houses being built on post. I would say the job market is really great and anything dealing with medical your shouldnt have a hard time. Also construction off post and in the local areas are doing really well and Im sure there always hiring good luck

Old 09-15-2009, 09:43 PM

48 posts, read 312,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scmover View Post
Thank you KSUgrad. What do you know about the Junction City area? What about the weather? I understand it gets very cold. What about the liklihood of tornadoes?
Well Im orginally from Maryland my husband joining the army has moved us to Kansas but the weather is no difffernt then in Maryland. I would say that NY is colder then JC during the winter. We do get a good amount of snow but it varies from winter to winter just like summer. Some summers we will have a heat wave and others we wont. During tornado season which I think the main month is May is when I find myself and my family having to get into the tornado shelter about every other day. But this year I think we only had to get into the shelter maybe 5 times and yes its scarey when it happens but I just remain calm and pray. Thats all we can do but out of the 5 years that I have been here we only got hit by a tornado once on Fort Riley. Manhattan got hit by a tornado May 2007 I think and a couple of years ago a tornado whipped out a whole town. Hopefully Im not scaring you Kansas is a beautiful place and I really like it here it took about 2 years for me to like it. We did have a ice storm in 2007 it did a lot of damage but within a week or two the town was up and running just fine. The weather and the threat of tornadoes isn't that bad. Its scarey to think about but once your hear and you see how slim the chances are you sort of settle down and not think about it. HOpefully that makes sense.

Old 09-21-2009, 02:00 PM

Thank you CavwifeyCarly. You provided a lot of information in your posts. I appreciate you taking the time. My son left for his 2nd tour in Iraq also this past June from Fort Riley. He is not expected back until next June but my daughter-in-law wants to move back to Kansas and get set up before he comes home for his 2 week R&R I think in February. We are looking to relocate before the winter as it will be easier. Once again, thank you and maybe we will meet when we arrive and get settled.

Old 09-22-2009, 12:12 PM

1 posts, read 11,164 times
There appears to be several construction and medical positions available on the Kansas State website.
www.kansasworks.com

Old 04-30-2010, 01:24 AM

1 posts, read 10,311 times
Hello, My Husband recently got stationed up in Ft. Riley. I have not yet joined him because he still has to finish amending me to his orders and all that jazz but here's my question: Im having a hard time finding an apartment up there! Ive been looking at apartments in Manhattan and Junction City but all that I have come across ask for our income to be 3 times the monthly rate! needless to say that we dont. my husband is an E2 and we can afford to live in all the apartments I have called because of our BAH but rules are rules so they wont work with us. Anyone know of any apartments that dont do that? please help!!! Thank You!!

Old 11-23-2010, 09:19 PM

1 posts, read 9,351 times
Is there a hostpital on post? and is it any good? We will be moving there soon, and I am not excited, plus I have a lot of medical problems, can anyone suggest a primary care provider that is female. I am really at a loss for going there, we live in Colorado Springs ring now, and I am hating everything about having to move!

you can e-mail me at [email]ndorbert@hotmail.com[/email] if you have any suggestions on helping me!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas