Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 02:36 AM

11,558 posts, read 11,992,501 times

Advertisements

Most of the Kansas City, KS area is not that desireable due to high crime; however, you'll find housing is much more affordable in Wyandotte County vs Johnson County (just south of KC, KS).

Contrary to popular belief, all of KS (except Flint Hills) is not flat land...the areas of Johnson County and Wyandotte County have beautiful rolling hills.

I would definitely suggest you take the time to visit as much of the state as possible before making any decisions to move here.

Johnson County area has much to offer: employment, good schools, low crime, not much traffic (in most areas). It is growing by leaps and bounds and sadly, housing prices have risen significantly in the last 5 yrs. That being said, compared to many other areas of the U.S., it is still affordable due to employment and good wages.

The worst of our winter season is usually January and February; and we do get an inordinate amount of ice. However, road crews do a very good job of maintaining the roadways as best they can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2007, 10:12 PM

57 posts, read 262,673 times
Lindsborg is nice for a little town. There isn't a LOT to do, but they do have a small college and several businesses involved in tourism and preserving the area's Swedish roots.

Old 11-12-2007, 04:24 PM

83 posts, read 326,754 times
The whole country should follow Oklahomas lead on the illegal immigrants!!

Old 11-13-2007, 09:14 AM

7 posts, read 28,620 times
I've always like Ellinwood and Lindsborg. Both communities are very rich in their heritage. Ellinwood is huge with their German and Lindsborg their Swedish. Ellinwood is a bedroom community for Great Bend (9 miles to the east of GB) and Lindsborg is nestled between Salina and McPherson. Both give you that cozy down home feeling (well kept towns), but are very close to bigger places (15,000-50,000 range).

Old 11-18-2007, 12:50 AM

3 posts, read 16,526 times
Thumbs up Concordia is the biggest little town you'll love!

Concordia KS, population almost 8K, has a community college, excellent public schools, great hospital, and a new four screen movie theater. Concordia is the Stained Glass Capital of Kansas. There are many victorian houses, new businesses and a thriving energetic bunch of young students aspiring to excellence. There is a nice pool, tennis courts, several parks. You can tour the Nazareth Mother House, home to the St. Joseph Sisters. You can also tour the Brown Grande Theatre, which is having its centenial celebration this year. We have good stores and good services. An ethanol plant and wind energy are being built. There are many jobs of various kinds. Concordia is located on Highway 81 (I-35) It is 4 lanes all the way through Kansas. York Nebraska is three hours north; Salina is one hour south; Wichita is 2+ hours south....and you can go all the way from Mid Nebraska to somewhere in Texas and never get off the 4-lane. You can go east 80 miles to Manhattan, home of KSU; another hour east and you will be in the state capitol of Topeka. Come see Concordia...there's so much more!

Old 11-18-2007, 07:15 AM

83 posts, read 326,754 times
I understand Condordia has a Wal Mart too. I been wondering how far it is from here. You didnt mention how far it is to towns west of it.

Old 11-18-2007, 10:51 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,663,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMo View Post
I think you would like Salina. My in laws live there and I actually look forward to the weekends we spend there. It is a fast growing city right now. My in laws live on the east side, what we call up on the hill. Lots of new housing in that area.
Salina is really a gem in Kansas. If I was going to move back there, we would live there or in Lawrence. Following those 2 would be Johnson County and then Wichita. Wichita is nice for a small city but good jobs are hard to come by there unless you want to work in an airplane factory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas