Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2009, 12:09 PM

8 posts, read 41,144 times

Advertisements

We are currently living in the Waco area of Texas. We live in a smaller, nicer and newer town just outside of waco because actual waco is pretty run down and theres a lot of crime and violence there. We enjoy dining, parks, lakes, pretty much anything out doors, shopping, wine dives etc. We do not want to be around gang activities, drugs, etc. We have a bigger dog that we enjoy taking out to parks and socializing also, so we need a dog friendly area with people who are responsible pet owners. I also have 2 stepsons that will be spending time with us so we need a nice area that we can feel safe with them. I've been reading a lot of bad things about Topeka, and I was wondering if there were any smaller communities in the area I should look into that are up and coming that would be nicer and safer. We dont want to live in the country as we enjoy living close to the places we like to go and we enjoy having company and found most people dont want to make a 30 min drive to the country. I have also read that Lawrence may want to be a place to consider but that could be a 30+ min drive and that may be a bit of a longer drive then we would like. We dont really care so much if its a college town or not, as long as its a good community. All help is appreciated!

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2009, 12:45 PM

12,962 posts, read 13,673,944 times
Many people live in Wabaunsee County and commute to Topeka, I think Eskridge, Dover, Maple Hill, are your best bets out in that part of the county. That seems to be also the direction that Topeka has grown. That area is called the "Flint Hills" its rural and still has some old stone Houses out there.

Old 11-07-2009, 02:12 PM

26,407 posts, read 46,575,260 times
Try Holton north of Topeka for the small town flavor or Lawrence to the east for a wide variety of amenities.

Old 12-15-2009, 03:30 AM

11 posts, read 43,289 times
The southwest side of topeka is where my parents live now. it's a pretty good neighborhood. Also Clarion and Lake Sherwood are pretty good too. If you want the typical, House with a white picket fence suburbia neighborhood.....which is what, judging by your post is what you want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas