Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 05:54 AM

25,940 posts, read 22,089,429 times

Advertisements

I saw this in the newspaper yesterday and heard more on the news this morning: Manhattan passes disputed ordinance | CJOnline.com - I heard on the radio that they have two possible approaches to get this overturned one being to get the city commission which has an election in April to overturn it. I understand that the 3 people that voted this in will not be running again in this election. The other option is to get some sort of petition that would force the issue to a vote. I am anxious to see how it turns out. I am not stating my opinion which is probably obvious because of prior posts and am taking it as a look at the political process rather than a moral one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2011, 08:58 AM

3,339 posts, read 9,347,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
I saw this in the newspaper yesterday and heard more on the news this morning: Manhattan passes disputed ordinance | CJOnline.com - I heard on the radio that they have two possible approaches to get this overturned one being to get the city commission which has an election in April to overturn it. I understand that the 3 people that voted this in will not be running again in this election. The other option is to get some sort of petition that would force the issue to a vote. I am anxious to see how it turns out. I am not stating my opinion which is probably obvious because of prior posts and am taking it as a look at the political process rather than a moral one.
From the article:
"Radio station KMAN reported that the commission passed the ordinance on a 3-2 vote, making Manhattan the second city in the state to protect people from discrimination based on their sexual orientation. "

Unbelievable. It should be (probably is) unconstitutional to discriminate against people because of their sexual orientation...or religion...or their race...or their national origin.... What am I missing here? And why only two cities to this point? Does Kansas know it is no longer the 19th century?

Old 02-11-2011, 09:06 AM

41 posts, read 107,223 times
I didn't know the Phelps had two relatives in Manhattan?

Old 02-11-2011, 09:12 AM

3,339 posts, read 9,347,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mostly c's View Post
I didn't know the Phelps had two relatives in Manhattan?

Old 02-11-2011, 09:21 AM

I don't know the history behind this but I was not aware that anyone was actually discriminated against for such and I do wonder how someone would prove discrimination in this type of case as it is already very difficult to prove discrimination in other protected classes be it racial, age, disability, etc. I think it will be interesting to see if it is overturned. It did not appear to be getting much media coverage yet.

Old 02-11-2011, 10:21 AM

396 posts, read 998,299 times
I would bet that it is like you said Tina that we just assume it is wrong to discriminate just like any other situation. That's probably why there haven't been a bunch of cities making it a point to pass a law that they figure is common sense.

That said, I too want to know what the 2 that voted against were thinking.

Old 02-11-2011, 11:26 AM

Perhaps the 2 that voted against it did so because they did not see it as an issue that needed to be addressed and made formal? It will effect any business with more than 4 employees and not be implemented until September.

Old 04-07-2011, 11:33 AM

5 posts, read 9,129 times
Just to clarify, is there such a hostile attitude in Mahattan, KS to sexual orientation that it required a law?

I didn't think there is, but if the city has to pass a local law..

Old 04-07-2011, 12:58 PM

396 posts, read 998,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryTho View Post
Just to clarify, is there such a hostile attitude in Mahattan, KS to sexual orientation that it required a law?

I didn't think there is, but if the city has to pass a local law..

I doubt there is.

Old 05-18-2011, 07:06 AM

Update: Repealed! Awaken Manhattan
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas