Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 07:16 AM

12 posts, read 19,305 times

Advertisements

It never stops amazing me how a state that seems to pride itself on being red has taxes that are so high. Property taxes are the highest for states around itself, and the tax to get a plate on a car can run 280 for an old beater when you factor in the PPTax they heap on you. LOL. Add in exorbitant specials up to 35.000 for the pavement and sewer line in front of your home, and 3,000 taxes on a 110k home its getting to be very expensive to live here. Now to be fair you make a few dollars more on avg. than if you would live in a place like Arkansas or Missouri and do the same job, but then again you pay a lot less in property tax and others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2010, 10:56 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huchiemama View Post
It never stops amazing me how a state that seems to pride itself on being red has taxes that are so high. Property taxes are the highest for states around itself, and the tax to get a plate on a car can run 280 for an old beater when you factor in the PPTax they heap on you. LOL. Add in exorbitant specials up to 35.000 for the pavement and sewer line in front of your home, and 3,000 taxes on a 110k home its getting to be very expensive to live here. Now to be fair you make a few dollars more on avg. than if you would live in a place like Arkansas or Missouri and do the same job, but then again you pay a lot less in property tax and others.
Kansas is not a Republican state when it comes to fiscal matters at all. Kansas is very fiscally liberal and very socially conservative. The Kansas City metro suburbs on the Missouri side actually have MUCH lower property taxes compared to the Wichita metro.

Old 01-19-2010, 09:47 PM

8 posts, read 8,664 times
I know, it sucks and they give you nothing for it. It makes it hard for many to get a home or get ahead. No wonder no one comes here for retirement or to vacation, not only is there nothing to do but they tax the crap out of you.

Old 01-19-2010, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAsucks View Post
I know, it sucks and they give you nothing for it. It makes it hard for many to get a home or get ahead. No wonder no one comes here for retirement or to vacation, not only is there nothing to do but they tax the crap out of you.
I moved out of Kansas to New Hampshire. NH is known for high property taxes. Well, my property taxes are actually LOWER than they were in KS. NH also does not have a state income tax or sales tax. The cost of living is higher, but the overall quality of life is extremely high.

Old 01-20-2010, 12:22 PM

3,339 posts, read 9,347,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAsucks View Post
No, I think maybe people don't come her to retire has to do with the weather, and as far as entertainment goes, well hey --- it's Kansas.

By the way, you know what else sucks? Your username. It's disgusting.

Old 01-21-2010, 10:30 AM

10,179 posts, read 11,159,885 times
I thought the taxes weren't too bad in KS - I lived in SW KS.

Now living where I am - smaller house, less land, I'm paying a lot more in taxes.

Old 01-21-2010, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torn2pieces View Post
I thought the taxes weren't too bad in KS - I lived in SW KS.

Now living where I am - smaller house, less land, I'm paying a lot more in taxes.
The urban areas of the state like Wichita, Topeka, Lawrence, or the KC metro (on the Kansas side) have higher property taxes. The rural areas are going to have much lower taxes due to a much more rural population demanding fewer services.

Old 01-26-2010, 07:12 PM

822 posts, read 2,046,124 times
Kansas taxes are ridiculously high, mainly because they throw so much money at schools.

Old 01-27-2010, 08:49 PM

38 posts, read 126,200 times
"Kansas taxes are ridiculously high, mainly because they throw so much money at schools."

At least it goes to schools. In Florida, were we recently escaped from we paid 3000k on a house valued at 200,000k. Yeah, not horrible but the schools don't get it and they are horrible for it. Also, the services they county/city provided were still heavily taxed and feed.

Old 01-27-2010, 08:51 PM

38 posts, read 126,200 times
Also, I have a question. I read a post that said 3000k for a house that was worth 110k. Is that accurate?...OUCH!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas