Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2010, 04:15 PM

24 posts, read 137,011 times

Advertisements

I am thinking about planting a couple of Yoshino or Kwanzan cherry trees in the backyard, just need to get some nursery info so I can check them out.

I am in the Kansas City area but don't mind to drive for a few hours. Has anyone here ever planted a cherry tree? What was your experience with them?

Thanks!!

http://www.konara-han.com/images/673_Somei_Yoshino.JPG (broken link)

http://davescompletelawncare.com/trees/kwanzan_cherry_lg.jpg (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2010, 09:41 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,129,828 times
I like Suburban Lawn and Garden. There's one at 106th and Roe but their location at 135th and Holmes is bigger and better and they have golf carts that you can use to ride around and look at all their trees. I've never planted a cherry tree, but Suburban does have a guarantee on their trees. The Grass Pad is good too.

Oh, I take that back. We did plant two weeping cherry trees many years ago and one just lived a year or so and the other lived quite a few years, but we picked a bad location for them. We had them right in front of our house where they just got sun a few hours a day, they didn't get a lot of rain, and they were at the mercy of the north wind in the winter.

Old 02-23-2010, 08:06 AM

Thanks for the info, and sorry for your short lived cherry tree that met its untimely death.

Considering the amount of snow we got this year maybe I should get this tree and be done with it....

Old 02-24-2010, 07:20 AM

3,339 posts, read 9,301,034 times
No doubt about it, Skinner's in Topeka is the best. I am in the Johnson County master gardeners program and have never purchased from them yet, but the owners have spoken at our training classes and they are MOST impressive. I also use their catalog as a reference book. Knowledgeable people I know here swear by Skinner's. They do make runs into the KC area to deliver, so if you can get to Topeka to do your shopping, you won't be sorry.

Suburban Lawn & Garden and Family Tree Nursery are also very good. Grass Pad is way too expensive for trees, though I do buy supplies there.

Old 02-24-2010, 07:23 AM

3,339 posts, read 9,301,034 times
FYI, if you want a pine that deals best with snow and ice, get a Pinus flexilis -- Limber Pine. In Kansas, you will hear it called a Vanderwolf Pine.

Old 02-24-2010, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaMcG View Post
FYI, if you want a pine that deals best with snow and ice, get a Pinus flexilis -- Limber Pine. In Kansas, you will hear it called a Vanderwolf Pine.

Thanks, Tina. I will definitely keep your suggestions in mind.

Old 02-27-2010, 06:17 PM

822 posts, read 2,034,969 times
We had a cherry tree in the yard of our first house. It was an old tree when we bought the place and it died shortly after we sold that house. Every year we had cherries galore; so many we gave away probably half of them.

The trees I never had any luck with were peach trees. Borers seemed to always get them.

Old 03-01-2010, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cp1969 View Post
We had a cherry tree in the yard of our first house. It was an old tree when we bought the place and it died shortly after we sold that house. Every year we had cherries galore; so many we gave away probably half of them.

The trees I never had any luck with were peach trees. Borers seemed to always get them.

Will keep that in mind, I actually do not care for the fruits they bear just the blossoms.

If insects and birds are too much trouble to handle for planting a cherry/sakura tree, I might look into growing this therapeutic herb in the yard.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
View detailed profiles of: