Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2010, 04:51 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,127,371 times

Advertisements

When is the best time of year to visit the Flint Hills region? I am especially interested in wildflowers. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2010, 06:57 PM

396 posts, read 998,752 times
The Spring time during the burns is neat, after that the hills are emerald green and full of wild flowers during the summer which is beautiful. The fall is neat as well, because just like the trees change color the plants on the prairie turn purple, gold, etc. Really there is something unique about each season but for me it would be late spring/early summer with the green and wild flowers.

Old 05-05-2010, 08:01 PM

2,108 posts, read 2,893,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pioneer88 View Post
The Spring time during the burns is neat, after that the hills are emerald green and full of wild flowers during the summer which is beautiful. The fall is neat as well, because just like the trees change color the plants on the prairie turn purple, gold, etc. Really there is something unique about each season but for me it would be late spring/early summer with the green and wild flowers.
Ditto!

Old 05-05-2010, 08:55 PM

378 posts, read 1,621,164 times
I'm always eager to give the Flint Hills love:

Tallgrass Prairie Preserve - Photo Gallery - National Geographic Magazine

From this National Geographic article:

Quote:
But once I got up in the air, I was able to see an incredible myriad pattern of wonderfully poetic contours. I saw beautiful repetitive patterns of hills and ravines cut by flint outcroppings that were once at the bottom of the old Permian Sea. Geology always comes to life from the air, where things that sounded obtuse and arcane in the classroom reveal themselves in living waves of earth and rock. Seeing it all in the spring was even more of a treat. People never associate such green lushness with Kansas. Ireland, maybe, but certainly not Kansas.

Old 05-08-2010, 04:11 PM

Athfo, thanks so much for posting the videos! Beautiful! a couple brought me to tears.... I hike a lot in the Everglades and am well aware of subtle beauty and having to get down close to the ground to look at individual plants and see the amazing variety of species if you take the time and effort to look. Spring was mentioned as a good time to visit - I've seen areas burned (pine rocklands in ENP are burned by ENP fire cache) - prescribed burning - so I am more interested in seeing blazing colors of wildflowers. Would this be in April? or May? early, mid, late?

Old 05-08-2010, 04:19 PM

BTW, a few months ago I read William Least Heat~Moon's book: PrairyErth (a deep map). I really enjoyed it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas