Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2007, 09:17 AM

2 posts, read 13,892 times

Advertisements

I'm considering a job in Kauai. My girlfriend and I would be moving together, but she doesn't have a job as of yet. We currently live in Steamboat Springs, Colorado. It's a resort ski town that's very expensive. Gas-3.24/gallon, bread 1.50, milk-3.50/half gallon, cost of going out to eat burgers-$25-$30 no beer. Housing is way up there and only getting higher. The market has doubled in 9 months. Can't get a 800sqft condo for less than $300,000.

Does it sound like we would be paying that much more to live in Kauai? If we were making close to 90K a year would that be enough? My gf has a degree in communications and has worked in marketing for 10 years. Would she be able to find a well paying job within 6 months?

Thanks for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2007, 10:26 PM

5 posts, read 72,926 times
It is just as expensive, if not more, to live here on Kauai. The problem is that pay is much lower than the national average, which makes it that much harder to survive. Most companies will not even talk to you if you aren't already living here, so your gf probably won't be able to find a job before you move. Also, there's a lot less selection in the job market - people pretty much do whatever they have to (not necessarily what they want or know) to survive. Also, if you are white, be prepared to live with people who think that Hawaii was "stolen" from their ancestors and who think they deserve more than everyone else because of that. I love the weather. There is not as much "Aloha" as others would like you to believe. It's a beuatiful place to live if you can fit in.

Old 08-05-2007, 05:38 AM

7 posts, read 44,450 times
I grew up on Kauai and left when I graduated High School. Since then it's become a very expensive place to live. Expect daily expenses to be higher than where you are now. Also it is very hard to get a decent job there unless you want to work in the tourism industry and even then it is tight. Although right now there is a shortage of workers on the island so you may be able to get into something with a salary that is higher than they would offer even a year ago. Prices for homes are going down however. So many houses sitting on the market, you should be able to get a house for around $350,000 by the end of 2008.

Like the previous poster said, if you are white, don't be surprised that you are the minority and you may be treated like one.

Old 08-05-2007, 08:34 AM

1,178 posts, read 5,942,264 times
Default Finding a job in marketing

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpstone View Post
My gf has a degree in communications and has worked in marketing for 10 years. Would she be able to find a well paying job within 6 months?
It's a long shot, but I would call or write to the Princeville Corporation, and ask for their marketing department. Maybe you'll get lucky and find someone who will talk to you about possibilities. It's a multimillion dollar corporation. They own the Princeville Resort on the North Shore, a beautiful place to live. Lots of condos there.

Princeville Corporation
PO Box 3040
Princeville, HI 96722

808 826 3040

Old 11-18-2007, 03:46 PM

1 posts, read 7,406 times
Default From StmBoat to Kauai?

Greetings from Denver. I've just returned from a glorious trip to Kauai and Maui. So, I have to admit I'm hooked on the Aloha Spirit and life on Kauai and I'm considering a move/transfer. Right now, I am reading your post from StmBt and wonder if you and your girlfriend made the move? If so, what jobs are you and she working now? Are you going to buy or rent? I've got a friend who works in Poipu, but lives in Kalaheo. That's my knowledge of the island, thus far. I look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
COGoldengirl

Last edited by COGoldengirl; 11-18-2007 at 03:49 PM.. Reason: missed a sentence

Old 11-18-2007, 04:06 PM

5,595 posts, read 19,046,095 times
(please use DMs for any personal messages that might not concern the general viewing audience. Thanks.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai