Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 02:45 AM

4,131 posts, read 7,441,266 times

Advertisements

Yes, it sounds like you can afford flights to the mainland. Island fever is for people like me who can't afford to leave
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2012, 06:31 AM

242 posts, read 391,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
Island fever is for people like me who can't afford to leave
I thought you gave your 2 weeks notice and were on your way to IAH?

Old 08-20-2012, 03:46 PM

32,634 posts, read 47,986,069 times
Winkosmosis, are you leaving? Then who is going to give the reality check to the dreamers?

Old 09-01-2012, 11:41 AM

145 posts, read 490,648 times
North shore of Kauai, especially the town of Hanelei, is one of my favorite places in the world. As far as island fever goes, it all depends on who you are as a person. I love people, but I'm also an introvert, and enjoying recharging my battery by reading, writing, playing the piano. I love quiet and introspective things, and Kauai provides that. The thing that makes this area so special, is that so many places you return to year after year, and the landscape of the place totally changes, and looks far different from the place you may have fallen in love with before. Not here, and I love it. Hanalei is like traveling to a place that is suspended in time, or going back in time, to a life that was simpler and quieter. Life is consumed often with media, gadgets, and lots of other things that pull us away from what's most important in life. Hanalei is a very rare place you will find these days, and is perfect if you are a "less is more" type of person.

Old 09-03-2012, 01:27 AM

941 posts, read 1,966,272 times
No, Hanalei is changing alright. Locals are getting squeezed out little by little, and it's just gonna be a tourist town one day.

Old 09-07-2012, 12:12 PM

145 posts, read 490,648 times
^ From my experiences living here, it has changed very little. Very much the same warmth and aloha is shown year after year.

Old 09-07-2012, 09:41 PM

941 posts, read 1,966,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Vox View Post
^ From my experiences living here, it has changed very little. Very much the same warmth and aloha is shown year after year.
Are you a local or longtime (>20 year) permanent resident? Or a recent addition to Hanalei?

I do admit my evidence is hearsay, I don't hang out in Hanalei enough to catch the vibe over the years. I just got the impression it was getting "gentrified" with wealthy immigrants buying property and replacing the modest local residents.

Old 09-24-2012, 11:24 AM

1 posts, read 1,872 times
How did this work out for you?? I am looking for a longterm lease in Kauai on The North Shore side hopefully by Princeville. I am from a big city Houston and just want to get out of here, I visited Kauai 2 weeks ago and loved it. Stayed at the St. Regis which was lovely and the entire island just brought so much peace to me. I am afraid of getting island fever a little but not a lot. I am more worried about crime, jobs, and places to stay.

Old 09-24-2012, 12:44 PM

32,634 posts, read 47,986,069 times
CeaCea, what do you like to do? If you keep busy, you won't be bored. If you aren't bored, you are unlikely to get Island Fever.

If your favorite hobby is shopping, you might get bored. If you take up kayaking in a serious fashion, any sort of water sports, tropical photography, any hobby the utilizes the offerings of the location, you are not likely to sit around bored.

There may be more or less crime in any given location, but crime is everywhere. Bad people can be just as mobile as good people. The bad people have the same access to cars and planes as the rest of us do. So, no matter where you are located, take reasonable precautions and then do not allow it to dictate your life.

Old 09-24-2012, 02:34 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,662,406 times
CeaCea1, just make sure you do lots and lots of research before considered a move. Staying at the St. Regis is definitely different than actually living there. I personally love the beauty of Kauai but found it way too small and too expensive. My husband and I ended up buying on the Big Island, where we've lived for two years.

The hardest part is going to be finding work. What kind of experience do you have?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai