Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2012, 10:47 PM

2 posts, read 4,772 times

Advertisements

Island fever? I lived on the Big Island years ago, but had to leave due to the sugar industry shutting down and my husband's work ag-flying (crop dusting) was ending fast too. Plus, I was sick with heavy duty allergies. For us, it
was time to leave, but guess what? We want to come back, and try out a different island like Kauai? We never had
island fever. There is so much to do, and then just take a flight and go to Honolulu for all the extra's like the shopping,
shows, what'eva. We were scuba divers, we owned horses and so we rode quite often, jeeping through the volcano
national forest areas, swimming in the ocean, picnicing on top of Mauna Kea? What more do you want? There are
trade off's with anything. You will leave behind some things, and you will gain some things by moving to the islands. It's not Detroit, or Chicago, or Europe. I have lived there too in my younger years. I love Hawaii, their culture of Aloha, all the easy laughter, and generous hospitality. I am a Haole and never had a problem ever in all my years there. People were very gracious and always kind. Where do you find that on the mainland? If you show an interest, and give back to those island folks with a present or invite, I think you'll be amazed. I sure was and all the time. Hawaii is an experience, like reading a good book, and to miss it, would be missing the greatest book of your life.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2013, 11:18 PM

2 posts, read 4,772 times
There's no place like Hawaii, but everyone needs a job to keep life going. Maybe take another trip and do a little
scouting around before leaving Houston. I had my job secured with a contract (musician) before entering into the
wonderful land of aloha. You don't want to be broke there by any stretch...... It all depends on what type of
work you do, and or type of profession if you can find that niche somewhere. Don't give up though! Keep your
dream and explore avenues. Hope that helps a little.

Old 01-30-2013, 01:40 PM

25 posts, read 48,318 times
I have had island fever so I can tell you it is a real concern. After visiting family for years (all passed away or forced out economically) I was the last of family living there. But not being born on the wealthy side eventually was forced to seek work on the mainland. And I have had island fever ever since. I miss the land and its people, and hope one day to return and live out my years. As for how long is long enough...I can only say it depends how your attitude is. You maybe one of those who hit the ground and have a feeling of "I'm home" perhaps not but life is to be lived so take the chance and good luck.

Old 01-31-2013, 01:49 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,430,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by On the road View Post
But not being born on the wealthy side eventually was forced to seek work on the mainland. And I have had island fever ever since. I miss the land and its people, and hope one day to return and live out my years.
You misunderstood what the OP was asking. In the sense he used the term "island fever" he meant the feeling that sometimes happens to people living on an island when they start feeling trapped, like there is nowhere to go, no way out, and like they need to get back to the mainland... especially if they don't have the money to leave!

Old 02-02-2013, 04:09 AM

1,730 posts, read 3,809,976 times
Yep OpenD. One way to look at it is:

Wanting to move to Hawaii is "Island Dreaming" vs Wanting to leave Hawaii is "Island Fever".

Old 02-06-2013, 07:38 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,124,066 times
I lived on Kauai for 3 years and love the Island (Hanalei, Kapaa, and Lihue). I went there intending to visit a friend after I got out of the military in 86 and ended up staying. I worked at my friends windsurfing school for a while but after a bit the cost of living was getting to me and I had to look for a real job.

I got unemployed had a hard time finding work and eventualy gave up and moved back to San Diego. Was hard to leave and I still think about Kauai a lot but unless I could really aford to live there and for me that would mean being able to get off the Island at least a few times a year I cannot imagine moving back. Still miss it though.

Old 03-29-2013, 09:22 AM

74 posts, read 132,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
CeaCea1, just make sure you do lots and lots of research before considered a move. Staying at the St. Regis is definitely different than actually living there. I personally love the beauty of Kauai but found it way too small and too expensive. My husband and I ended up buying on the Big Island, where we've lived for two years.

The hardest part is going to be finding work. What kind of experience do you have?
What part of the Big Island did you end up at?

Old 06-01-2013, 06:03 PM

41 posts, read 214,919 times
My wife got island fever and would bring her mother out for a couple months each year, and then fly back to Oklahoma (despite her fear of flying) for 30 days or so in the summer. Now that we're in California, she would trade anything to go back.

Old 06-29-2013, 07:44 PM

24 posts, read 84,097 times
Yes, island fever is a real concern depending on your interests and personality. No in my opinion one month is not enough to determine since there will be plenty of new things to do to keep you interested in the island. After a few years you'll find that you've hiked every trail and went to every beach and ate at every restaurant at least 10 times. People who've lived here for a while lose that "adventurous" exploration they had when they first moved here and life becomes monotonous and complacent. It also doesn't help that the weather almost never changes and feels like you're in a sauna with a fan blowing on you most the time.

My solution is ocean activities(surfing) and lots of travel. The ocean provides a dynamic experience that's always changing and having a trip to look forward to helps maintain sanity. There are plenty of people here that do seem perfectly content just going to the same beach every weekend all their life, different strokes for different folks.

Old 06-29-2013, 08:05 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,901,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lohena View Post
After a few years you'll find that you've hiked every trail and went to every beach and ate at every restaurant at least 10 times. It also doesn't help that the weather almost never changes and feels like you're in a sauna with a fan blowing on you most the time.
That is so true about Hawaii - it doesn't take that much time to "do it all" - Then Hawaii becomes like that scene in European Vacation where Chevy Chase drives the roundabout over and over because he is stuck and keeps saying - look there kids, Big Ben - Parliament....

And as for a sauna day - today would be a good example - I don't know how the no AC crowd does it. Although today doesn't compare to the 115+ in the desert southwest these past few days.

For those who haven't seen European Vacation -

European Vacation - Roundabout - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai