Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 05:55 AM

4 posts, read 15,097 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,
My husband (San Diegan born in Oahu) and daugther (10 and 1/2 born in Europe raised in California) are dead set on moving to Kauai within the next few months. We have visited several times, even bought property and are building a house. I love Kauai but I'm not sure I can hang there permanently. I've mostly lived in large cities all my life. While I don't enjoy traffic or crowds, SOCA is increasingly getting overpopulated and overdeveloped and I don't usually drive far from where I live on a regular basis, I find it reassuring to know that things are available to me even if I never take advantage of them. We are leasing a house in Kauai to figure out if I can hang in there, and also to go back and forth during construction. Does any of you think that a one-month stay in Kauai will be enough for me to figure out if I can live there permanently? Is it very common to feel island fever? What are your thoughts about the Island School and driving there from the North Shore every day?
Thank you all in advance for your help and insight!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2012, 09:19 AM

198 posts, read 386,889 times
You will love Kauai. One month stay is not really a good indicator of long term since after a month everything will be so new still, and Island fever, well... that is specific to each person. I found that a person who bores easily, will be more than likely to get it. If you are not "in" to the outdoors, then you will probably get island fever and want to go home. Kauai does not have all the hub bub of Oahu or even Maui. Keep us updated.

Even with the RE market down, it is very expensive to build in Kauai. Good Luck.

Old 06-18-2012, 10:26 AM

9,324 posts, read 16,661,006 times
While I agree with OP that one month isn't long enough to see if you will be comfortable living there and "island fever" is specific to different people. I think six months will give you a better idea of adaptability.

We have a condo and planned on retirement in Maui, but my spouse gets "island fever" after about two months. We are outdoor people and love the beach, bicycling, walking, playing tennis, etc. On the mainland we have an RV and travel quite frequently to other states/climates/sights, etc. We miss that when we are on the island. Also it was difficult without family and friends. So HI, while we love it, is a vacation spot for us.

Old 06-18-2012, 11:00 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,741,992 times
In my experience, "island fever" mostly strikes military wives who have never lived outside the Midwest. Folks who have grown up near the ocean don't seem to be as susceptible. Sorry, no knowledge of that school.

Old 06-18-2012, 05:22 PM

9,324 posts, read 16,661,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
In my experience, "island fever" mostly strikes military wives who have never lived outside the Midwest. Folks who have grown up near the ocean don't seem to be as susceptible. Sorry, no knowledge of that school.
Spouse spent summers on Cape Cod for 20+ years, definitely on the ocean. Never lived in mid west, but have lived in several European countries and San Diego. She loves HI, but still gets the fever.

Old 06-19-2012, 02:30 AM

1,413 posts, read 3,231,682 times
I wouldn't take advice from a 10 yr old...what have they got to lose?

Old 06-19-2012, 07:50 PM

941 posts, read 1,966,663 times
There have been other threads on this forum from spouses who disagreed about moving to HI--and I'm not really sure I want to get in the middle of a marital argument. In this case, you visited and bought a property (without living here prior--at least it wasn't sight unseen), you're proceeding with house construction, and now, only now, you're having second thoughts?

Do people get island fever and leave? Yes, all the time. That's why people on this forum always recommend renting for a year to get an idea of life here and see if it works for them. If at the end of the year, they're ready to commit, they have a much better idea of the housing/property market and where they want to live. Of course, a lot of people settle in and really enjoy living here. Others might have different expectations, but they adapt and also find new things to be interested in. It does help to be interested in the outdoors, but there are plenty of other persuits.

Maybe I'm just getting old, but your language shows a certain amount of "attitude." People don't really "hang" on Kaua'i. Either they're rich and living the good life on the north shore, or they're working class people raising a family and getting along. Bringing along a negative attitude, worries and doubts, is a sure way to torpedo your chances. People who appreciate what they have around them, and who participate and contribute back to their community are much more likely to create lasting ties and feel a sense of belonging.

Island school is a great school, but fairly demanding time and money-wise. It's at least a 1-hour drive each way from Princeville, a bit less from Kilauea. They do have a private school bus that goes north (and costs extra), but kids have to wake up at 5:30-6:00 to catch it (class starts at 7:40).

Old 06-21-2012, 02:59 AM

1,730 posts, read 3,810,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KauaiHiker View Post
Bringing along a negative attitude, worries and doubts, is a sure way to torpedo your chances.
And, along those lines, it will be harder to make friends in Hawaii if folks gets the idea that you might be leaving soon. Just as employers are hesitant to higher new people because of the financial investment in training someone who might leave soon, you'll find that many residents are hesitant to make friends with new people because of the emotional investment in someone who might leave soon. If you voice a worrisome attitude once you have moved here, it might be more lonely than you expected.

Old 06-21-2012, 04:06 AM

16,258 posts, read 43,185,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoKauai View Post
Hi everyone,
My husband (San Diegan born in Oahu) and daugther (10 and 1/2 born in Europe raised in California) are dead set on moving to Kauai within the next few months. We have visited several times, even bought property and are building a house. I love Kauai but I'm not sure I can hang there permanently. I've mostly lived in large cities all my life. While I don't enjoy traffic or crowds, SOCA is increasingly getting overpopulated and overdeveloped and I don't usually drive far from where I live on a regular basis, I find it reassuring to know that things are available to me even if I never take advantage of them. We are leasing a house in Kauai to figure out if I can hang in there, and also to go back and forth during construction. Does any of you think that a one-month stay in Kauai will be enough for me to figure out if I can live there permanently? Is it very common to feel island fever? What are your thoughts about the Island School and driving there from the North Shore every day?
Thank you all in advance for your help and insight!
All we can all really do is 'guess'...

That being said, I love islands, and go way out of my way to get to them. Mostly Philippines and Indonesia islands. Routinely I've found they are really fun 2-3 days, but by the 4th day, I just want to get somewhere else and watch a movie, look at some different scenery, etc.

It seems to me that if you're already worried about it, and you haven't even got there yet, than you'll probably be feeling it more strongly when you're experiencing it first-hand.

For myself, I know I wouldn't feel 'Island Fever' in Honolulu/Oahu, as when I'm in a city, I seldom leave it. But if I were to personally live in Kauai, I'd be thinking about all those urban landscapes I could have all kinds of amenities once in awhile, etc. Actually, what I really like, is access to both. Oahu would have access to both.

I do think one month in Kauai would give you some indication. If by the end of the month, you're just looking forward to getting back to San Diego, and doing your previous routines, than you know Kauai might not be for you. If by the end of the month, you have no desire to back to San Diego, than most likely you're willing to give up the amenities of a more populated area. It might not predict, but it'll certainly give you a great indication.

Old 08-13-2012, 03:05 PM

32,643 posts, read 48,015,234 times
Suggestion: price flights from Kauai to Honolulu. Once a year take a week in Oahu and get your fill of traffic snarls, big city shopping, crowds, rude tourists, and museums.

You do realize that you won't be chained to the island and you can fly to the mainland to visit family and fly to the other islands to change scenery? There might occasionally be special sales on flights to Las Vegas. I know that if you watch for them, there are sometimes sales on flights from Hawaii to the big hub cities in the USA.

Also, you can count on friends and family flying out to you to get themselves a cheap vacation with food and lodging provided.

I would guess that 1 month would be just about enough time for you to start feeling home sick. You will need some time to get over that, but you can get over it.

Take up a hobby like water color, so you can be occupied anywhere on the island. Or grow a collection of tropical flowers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai