Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2014, 12:39 PM

31 posts, read 62,439 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know if there are any pet friendly Hotel/Motels on Kauai?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2014, 12:45 PM

169 posts, read 293,989 times
I travel frequently with my pets and if you go on Hotels.com click on "amenities" and select pet friendly and it will give you a list of hotels which accept pets. Almost all hotel websites have this feature and you should contact the hotel as well to make sure.
One thing though, I heard it is rather difficult to bring pets to hawaii due to a mandatory quarantine although there is a procedure you can do to skip that or make it shorter (please check that out).
A good website is aphis USDA APHIS | Home they are the ones that issue pet papers for travel.
Good luck and enjoy your trip.

Old 02-17-2014, 01:36 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,430,223 times
Default Hawaii's rabies quarantine for pets

Quote:
Originally Posted by njusa2013 View Post
One thing though, I heard it is rather difficult to bring pets to hawaii due to a mandatory quarantine although there is a procedure you can do to skip that or make it shorter (please check that out).
This has been one of the most highly discussed topics here over the years, so you can pull up a lot of good practical info from the archives by using the Search function. And you can get the official details on the state website.

The basics are that your cat or dog has to be microchipped and complete two rounds of anti-rabies vaccinations, and then submit a blood sample for testing. The 120 day quarantine period begins after that blood test is received, and can be served at home, or anywhere. If you enter the state before that period is completed, however, then the pet will "do time" in a government pen at the Honolulu Airport until the waiting period is complete.

More details here:
http://hdoa.hawaii.gov/ai/files/2013/01/aqsbrochure.pdf

Old 02-17-2014, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njusa2013 View Post
I travel frequently with my pets and if you go on Hotels.com click on "amenities" and select pet friendly and it will give you a list of hotels which accept pets. Almost all hotel websites have this feature and you should contact the hotel as well to make sure.
A good website is aphis USDA APHIS | Home they are the ones that issue pet papers for travel.
Good luck and enjoy your trip.
Thank you for the information about Hotels.com. I am aware of what needs to be done so my dog won't have to be quarantined. I'm just trying to figure out if one of us should go ahead and find a rental before we bring our dog. I'm kind of doubting Kauai has any pet friendly hotels. I doubt vacationers bring their fur babies alone with them. Don't want to both get there with our dog and find out we can't have our dog stay with us while we look. I'd rather stay here with her if that were the case.

Old 02-17-2014, 08:06 PM

I think I got my answer. Went to Hotels.com and Amenities doesn't even have a choice for "pet friendly" when you search Kauai Hotels. Other cities, it's there. So that tells me...no hotels take pets.

Old 02-20-2014, 11:15 AM

5,529 posts, read 12,666,240 times
How about checking a website called Vacation Rentals By Owner? They DO have a filter for pet friendly vacation homes or condos.

Old 03-04-2014, 12:42 AM

3 posts, read 3,690 times
When we moved to Kauai in March 2011, with our dog, we stayed at the Garden Island Inn in the kalapaki area. It's not the fanciest place around, but it was clean, friendly staff and close to Harbor Mall Shops and anchor cove. The Garden Island was pet friendly at that time, so you may want to give them a call or check the website. We only stayed a week and then found a temp. rental that also accepted dogs at Plantation Hale, but that was per "owner", so not everyone accepts pets there.
I heard some Aston hotels accept pets .. so you may check those her on Kauai as well.

Old 03-04-2014, 12:46 AM

Another thing, is that if your dog is cleared to travel and not be quarantined, you can book them for over nights / day care at "whiskers Pet resort" or the Kauai Humane Society. We used both of those when we have gone "off island" and can run from 25.00 to 35.00 per day. It can be pricey for long term (prices on the website), but if you can't find pet friendly hotel and want your dog to come right away, that would be one option.

Old 03-04-2014, 01:00 AM

Laverne51, I just found this on pet friendly Kauai. [url=http://www.dogfriendly.com/server/travel/uscities/guides/us/cities/usonlinecityHIKauai.shtml#Hotels]Kauai, Hawaii Pet-Friendly Hotels, Dog-Friendly Restaurants, Dog Parks and Travel Guide[/url]

Hope it helps... I'm very attached to my dog, so I know how you feel.

Old 03-04-2014, 08:22 PM

Katmc and Dreaming of Hawaii, thank you for the information. I did check Garden Island Inn's web site and it say's "pet friendly" Yea! Thank you again! I figured if we end up bringing her when we first go, we would have to leave her in a kennel. Either way, sounds good!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai
View detailed profiles of: