U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-11-2015, 11:56 AM
 
2,153 posts, read 3,779,041 times
Reputation: 3407

Advertisements

I'm a guy traveling solo to Kauai for a 1 week getaway from Seattle. What is the best part of the island for me to stay? South side? East side? North Shore? I plan to just explore the island during my week doing a mix of hiking/swimming/snorkeling and relaxing. I just need very basic accommodations since it's just myself. Thanks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-11-2015, 03:07 PM
 
Location: Kapa'a
69 posts, read 91,441 times
Reputation: 82
Personally I thought the south side around Poi'pu was magical. The snorkeling was magnificent, but so was snorkeling Anini in the north. We went to Kekaha and it was gorgeous but the ocean was a little grumpy and we decided to try again on another day.
Aloha, have a great time.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2015, 03:28 PM
 
Location: Kahala
11,311 posts, read 14,880,162 times
Reputation: 5593
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctr88 View Post
I'm a guy traveling solo to Kauai for a 1 week getaway from Seattle. What is the best part of the island for me to stay? South side? East side? North Shore? I plan to just explore the island during my week doing a mix of hiking/swimming/snorkeling and relaxing. I just need very basic accommodations since it's just myself. Thanks.
If you plan on a lot of exploring - why not just stay a few nights in the Poipu area in the south and a few nights up north around Princeville.

It is a lot of slow driving to commute between the 2 areas - so rather than spending a lot of time in the car, you can explore closer to each area.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2015, 04:00 PM
 
2,153 posts, read 3,779,041 times
Reputation: 3407
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
If you plan on a lot of exploring - why not just stay a few nights in the Poipu area in the south and a few nights up north around Princeville.

It is a lot of slow driving to commute between the 2 areas - so rather than spending a lot of time in the car, you can explore closer to each area.
This sounds like a good idea whtviper1. I might look into staying a few nights in each area.

Thanks for your experience Kaua'i Jim, it sounds like from the guidebooks I'm reading Poi'pu is a tremendous beach. Is the South Side generally sunnier this time a year than the East Side or North Side?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2015, 04:09 PM
 
Location: Kahala
11,311 posts, read 14,880,162 times
Reputation: 5593
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctr88 View Post

Is the South Side generally sunnier this time a year than the East Side or North Side?
The south side of Kauai is much more sunnier than the north side - we are in the rainy season right now though (thru end of April) - you could have a solid week of sun - a solid week of pouring rain (the entire island) - and everything in between.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2015, 05:09 PM
 
Location: Kapa'a
69 posts, read 91,441 times
Reputation: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctr88 View Post
This sounds like a good idea whtviper1. I might look into staying a few nights in each area.

Thanks for your experience Kaua'i Jim, it sounds like from the guidebooks I'm reading Poi'pu is a tremendous beach. Is the South Side generally sunnier this time a year than the East Side or North Side?
Poi'pu was amazing, there and Brennecke's beach had humpbacks, sea turtles, humuhumunukunukuāpuaʻa, and beautiful coral structures. We were there a little over 3 weeks and had one solid day of rain and spotty showers twice, but they blew away quickly.
Had to come back and finish the school year and then'll be back.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2015, 09:41 PM
 
2,153 posts, read 3,779,041 times
Reputation: 3407
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
The south side of Kauai is much more sunnier than the north side - we are in the rainy season right now though (thru end of April) - you could have a solid week of sun - a solid week of pouring rain (the entire island) - and everything in between.
Thanks for the info. Maybe I should wait until after end of April to go. Sounds like a big risk to go to Hawaii and have it possibly rain non-stop the whole week I'm there. That would be a major bummer.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2015, 10:57 PM
 
1,872 posts, read 2,524,645 times
Reputation: 2158
I like the Whtviper1's idea of staying in different areas during your vacation. We started doing this a few years ago and it has really worked out great. I've found that we spend much less time driving and more time doing fun things! One suggestion though, pack as light as possible.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2015, 02:15 PM
 
198 posts, read 352,426 times
Reputation: 396
If you are going during the summer months, then you must stay on the North Shore. IMO
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2015, 02:24 AM
 
2,153 posts, read 3,779,041 times
Reputation: 3407
Quote:
Originally Posted by KauaiPono View Post
If you are going during the summer months, then you must stay on the North Shore. IMO
And where would you stay in winter?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top