Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2017, 07:19 PM

353 posts, read 437,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.magoo View Post
I am assuming you are Caucasian... does your Asian boyfriend ask you to stay out of the supermarket when he goes shopping?
lol. that's funny
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2017, 12:31 PM

1,178 posts, read 5,942,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pohaku View Post
One thing get gets my gander up is the overall condition of Hawaii, in general, as compared to the mainland. To put it bluntly, Hawaii pilau: the restrooms and gov't facilities are dirty and stink, the parks are in ill repair, a lot of things are broken and in need of repair or replacement. I'm not sure of what pilikia is going on in Hawaii, especially Honolulu, but it saddens me a lot. What really gets me is the condition of the State parks; at one time, I considered them to be the best in the nation, on par with the Federal park system. Now, there is no comparison...very, very sad!
That's what happens when you have a political system that puts most of its money into payments to people (welfare, union support, large numbers of govt employees, etc.) instead of potholes, repairs, infrastructure. Hawaii has the largest imbalance of Democrats vs Republicans in the nation.

Your concern will not change until that changes, and there is no sign of such a change.

Old 04-23-2017, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pohaku View Post
What really gets me is the condition of the State parks; at one time, I considered them to be the best in the nation, on par with the Federal park system.
That was left over from before statehood (I was there) when the state was run by the "Big Five" Oligarchy.

Old 04-24-2017, 12:33 AM

941 posts, read 1,966,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HankDfrmSD View Post
That's what happens when you have a political system that puts most of its money into payments to people (welfare, union support, large numbers of govt employees, etc.) instead of potholes, repairs, infrastructure. Hawaii has the largest imbalance of Democrats vs Republicans in the nation.

Your concern will not change until that changes, and there is no sign of such a change.
Those on Kauai know that you are wrong. While it is no social-democrat Scandinavian paradise here, we do have miles and miles of new and repaved roads on Kauai. Starting over 7 years ago, they doubled the lanes of the main highway west of Lihue, including the main bridge, paving the whole thing for 5 miles with concrete so it should last for years. Then they redid the main road east/north out of Lihue past the airport in concrete too. Now they are doing some secondary roads to the industrial zones (for the heavy truck traffic)--and still in progress. In the meantime, they also have an asphalt crew working full time for years, alternating between north and south shores, doing big sections of the main road during the night.

I live in a neighborhood from the 50's which must've been repaved once in the 80's or 90's. My street was not pot-holed but very rough and the main road was getting bad, but then the water department (also part of the county) had to replace the mains so apparently the road department split the cost for new asphalt. Not all streets were redone, but mine was one of them. Apparently, that the previous mayor lived in the neighborhood was not a coincidence.

Also, parts of downtown Lihue are being redeveloped with sidewalks, bus shelters, roundabouts, and nice landscaping. It is very usable and walkable and bus accessible.

There is still plenty of beat-up and pot-holed pavement, on the main highway and secondary roads, but I now have hope they will get to those in a few years. I don't recall the constant road maintenance like this before, so I have no complaints about state and county road maintenance programs on Kauai.

My conclusion: you are totally wrong and thereby discredit your biased and political viewpoint.

Old 04-24-2017, 06:04 AM

2,481 posts, read 2,234,517 times
I can't give you 'rep' again KauiHiker, but I can give you a shaka for that post,^

Old 04-24-2017, 02:51 PM

I own property on both Oahu and Kauai.

One of the reasons that Kauai's infrastructure may be better than Oahu's is all the money (much of it federal) that was poured into Kauai after Hurricane Iniki. Sen Inouye pushed for 1.2 Billion:

Kauai Roads Cleared Following Iniki's Fury | News | tulsaworld.com

Old 04-24-2017, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KauaiHiker View Post
you are totally wrong and thereby discredit your biased and political viewpoint.
As Sergeant Friday used to say: "Just the facts, ma'am":

Count the number of Democrats (25) and Republicans (0) in the current Senate, and the number of Democrats (45) and Republicans (6) in the current House - attached.
Attached Thumbnails
For those leaving/left Kauai, why did you leave and do you have any regrets?-hawaii-legislature.jpg  

Old 05-16-2017, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KauaiHiker View Post
My conclusion: you are totally wrong and thereby discredit your biased and political viewpoint.
Here is an article posted today, about a law just passed by the Legislature that proves I am right:

Did Hawaii Lawmakers Just Give Public Worker Unions Too Much Power? - Honolulu Civil Beat

Read the whole article.

Old 05-22-2017, 08:44 PM

10,555 posts, read 7,750,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HankDfrmSD View Post
Here is an article posted today, about a law just passed by the Legislature that proves I am right:.
It proves absolutely nothing. Zilch.

Some data showing that infrastructure spending in red states, as a % of GDP, is greater than in blue states is what you're looking for. Good luck.

Old 06-07-2017, 01:26 PM

Here is another article that proves my point with facts and figures. It examines why Honolulu is the most difficult place in the country to build new housing.

One quote: "it takes an average of 17.23 months to get full zoning approvals and entitlements for a building project in Honolulu. That's the longest delay for an American city by far."

Read the article here:

Honolulu: Late and Last.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai