Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2017, 08:36 AM

3 posts, read 4,599 times

Advertisements

Hi!

I am moving to Kauai in a few weeks and would love tips from locals or mainlanders that live on the island.
I'm 25 years old and am interested in meeting people my age. I will be looking for a job in the tourism industry (restaurant/bar/resort), but I want to note I have an online business that generates monthly income. I work remotely, but would like the additional restaurant job because I am "realistic" about finances and would like to play it safe in an unknown situation.

I have a place to stay upon arrival in Kapaa and a roommate. This is temporary and I will be looking for my own place once I arrive. I've been told the Kapaa area is where I should look to live based off of my lifestyle. I like the idea of a close knit community/being surrounded by likeminded people.

Any tips on the different communities, buying a used car, job outlook, finding people to meet etc would be appreciated!! I have connections on island and have done my research, but any amount of input before arrival helps. I understand a lot of people are going to tell me to "Stay Home". I appreciate what you feel is a helpful dose of reality, but am looking for practical suggestions on living there, not advice on whether to do so.

Mahalo!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2017, 08:47 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,908,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lem0nice View Post

I'm 25 years old and am interested in meeting people my age.

Mahalo!
Try Tinder, Match, POF.

Although you are on an island with only 65,000 people

Old 10-05-2017, 09:50 AM

113 posts, read 163,528 times
Great way to get into the community is by helping out the community .

Find a volunteering gig that you enjoy.

Old 10-05-2017, 07:42 PM

306 posts, read 336,523 times
Kapaa is nice, there is definitely rentals available around here. Kauai itself doesn't have the most youthful vibe (to me, I'm 24 years old), but you can find communities where young adults hang out (Volleyball league in Poipu or at Kalapaki or Pickelball in Kapaa, for example). The service industry is definitely where most of the jobs are at. The Kapaa Artwalk is the first Saturday night of each month, can be a cool place to meet people.

Old 10-07-2017, 10:28 AM

3 posts, read 4,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Happy View Post
Kapaa is nice, there is definitely rentals available around here. Kauai itself doesn't have the most youthful vibe (to me, I'm 24 years old), but you can find communities where young adults hang out (Volleyball league in Poipu or at Kalapaki or Pickelball in Kapaa, for example). The service industry is definitely where most of the jobs are at. The Kapaa Artwalk is the first Saturday night of each month, can be a cool place to meet people.
I like this response. Thanks for your input!

Old 10-17-2017, 02:40 AM

227 posts, read 918,502 times
For me Kauai is more family style and not much for young adults, everything basically closes early except for only a handful of places. Most of the kids here after High School head to the mainland for school and adventure. Being a male I honestly think you may have a hard time blending in with the locals, they do not seem open to new people. Depends on what type of person you are? If you are athletic that are a lot of mens leagues from soccer to basketball. Are you a earthy person then that is very North Shore and you can find that clique. You need to tell us more about you

Old 10-19-2017, 09:52 PM

36 posts, read 102,046 times
As for buying a used car, I would purchase a car on the mainland and ship it over. Used cars are more expensive here and come pre-rusted. Your future roommate can give you an idea of what's available. I'm so happy we brought our cars with us. And there are plenty of help wanted signs for side work. Aloha!

Old 02-04-2018, 09:14 AM

252 posts, read 422,726 times
Number one, do what is in your heart, and what feels good to you. If would have listened to the naysayers about my life's dreams , I would have wound up working in a cubical, instead of flying airplanes for a career, and also skippering boats throughout the world.....or even moving to Kauai. Erica and I plotted our own courses and have had a marvelous and wonderful experiences. Life is an adventure for us.

We moved over to kauai and had 10 marvelous years and had no problems meeting people. We brought our aloha with us and had respect for everyone. EVERY ONE. A smile, a thoughtful greeting, a kind act. We were also very positive, and kept a happy outlook.

We also were very active, and out hiking, snorkeling, kayaking, and just getting out and meeting people. still are now that we are back in Dana Point, a beach city. And we still live aloha and share respect.

We also believe that when moving to a new place, in joining service or other groups who shared our same interests, and also give back to the island by volunteering for beach clean ups, and joined what suited us, like Surf rider, Malama Mahulepu, and Became Sierra Club Hike leaders. Those were our interests, others have their own.

We also joined the Kauai Athletic club to continue to keep our long years of exercise and fitness going. We met many people from all walks of life. In fact i wound up working there for several years.

Employment, Do what is fun and interesting to you. Something that fits your lifestyle that you like.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Employment at fun places that are some of our faves on island:

A few suggestions from our experience in getting out and enjoying kauai. You will be up in Kapa'a...

1. TREES LOUNGE: in the back of the Coconut Market Place, Kapa'a , Great spot for young people and super place to meet others. Lots of haoles, and residents and visitors. Great owners, husband and wife, well respected . Young servers and bartenders. Happy hour music, and then later, dance bands, . All up beat .

2. Hukilau Lanai, Kapa'a adjacent to the Coconut Market Place at a very nice and friendly resort. Young servers, great positive attitudes and share real aloha with everyone. Good tips and fun customers. Nice ambiance. One of our favorites for our date nights.

One thing about the food and beverage service jobs, you not only meet the people that you work with and become friends, but will also meet their friends and that multiplies the chances of new associations. Plus, share a bit of aloha with the customers , and just enjoy life.

3. Oasis, up in Kapa'a at the Waipoli Resort, across from safe way. The absolute best happy hour at any resort, open air ambiance, fun and personable bartenders and servers. Also in your age backet. Plus out door seating as well and views of the ocean. Also, one of our date night restaurants.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As to a used car......I would suggest Ohana motors, they are highly respected and located across the road from the costco gas station in Lihue. They go off island to find good vehicles. Or if you have a dependable car it will be about $ 1100 to ship with Matson......it will be delivered to the Matson Docks and warf warehouse in Nawiliwili Harbor in Lihue.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway a quote from a long time world sailor......Dont dream your life, live you dream,.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai
View detailed profiles of: