Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2018, 02:35 PM

1 posts, read 2,048 times

Advertisements

Aloha,
I'm relocating from Texas and looking for advice/recomendation from someone who used shipping container to send their home goods to Kauai from mainland.
I have 10by10 storage unit full, which is about 1000cuft.
Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2018, 11:28 AM

252 posts, read 418,148 times
At this time, it appears there are no responses to your shipping shipping container advice request....

All I can say is what we did after looking at the costs of shipping.....( our furnishings were not new )....

Also, we were renting......not purchasing and that could make a big difference.

We sold, gave away, or trashed our " Stuff". We had to rent furnished on Kauai . Over the 10 years as residents, we gradually replaced some of the landords furniture with our own.

We did ship the car, and if you are going to do the same, be sure and follow of the shippers procedures, or the car will not be on the ship . Just a couple of things that I remember.....I think we had to have 1/8 of a tank of fuel, or less.
Nothing in the vehicle that did not come with the vehicle off the show room floor. In other words you cannot pack any personal possessions anyplace in the car. The entire car had to be clean, and I mean clean, body, interior, trunk, engine compartment, wheel wells, and under body......no invasive species hitching a ride to paradise.

I would think that the shipping company that you are using, would have a list of requirements as to packing the container .

We have had friends who did ship their furnishings....( this was to the BI ).....they had several rooms of quality furniture and as far as I know, everything made the crossing , and loading on board, and unloading on the big island in good shape.

Welcome to Kauai.....

Perhaps others will answer up and share their experience and what to expect in order to be prepared for the container shipping.

Old 02-21-2018, 01:06 PM

113 posts, read 162,666 times
We are also from Texas and will be arriving this spring.

We have purged through most of our stuff and either sold or given away about 90% of it. For the few remaining precious and hard to find items, we have scheduled for a mini-cube to be delivered (it is 7' X 6' X 8'). Price per pound it is not the cheapest way to go but for us it made sense as some of the items are pretty fragile and going the "pallet route", even though cheaper, seemed too risky for those items. Probably a bit small for you but there are options in case you wanted to bring even less stuff.

Old 03-05-2018, 01:52 PM

Hanapepe Puppy,

Should you be living in hanapepe, you will get to know the people in town in a very short time . You may have done that already.

Please, if you stop by the Talk Story Book Store, give a huge aloha to Ed and Cynthia, they are very special island friends for about 10 years, and we would go out to dinner every month....for a special dinner out.

They are quality people, very friendly, and do a lot of projects for hanapepe town.

We will be seeing them in june, 2018, as we are returning to the garden island for three weeks as visitors. Staying at Poipu Kai .

Congrats on , moving to Kauai.......we miss it so very much.

Mahalo nui loa

Denny and Erica

Old 03-06-2018, 09:29 AM

kauaidooley,

Hanapepe is indeed a small town and we are excited to be moving. We have family on the North Shore that have been there for over ten years but we will be new to Hanapepe, so we will be meeting lots of new people. I have noticed that the owners of Talk Story seem very involved with the community and look forward to meeting them, they sound like wonderful people to know. Have fun on your upcoming visit, who knows you may see us there (We are down the street very close to the fire dept.).

Chris and Joanna

Old 03-07-2018, 06:06 PM

Hnnapepe Puppy

Great...

just a quick story as to how we met Ed and Cynthia...

We were new to living on island , actually in puhi the first two years, and love to read so we drove up to hanapepe and entered the book store. We found a few books, and they explained that after reading the ( used ) books we could bring them back and get paid for them and reduce the cost of the next books.

We talked story and were getting ready to leave, and Cythia says

HOW WOULD YOU LIKE TO GO OUT TO DINNER WITH US ?

I answered " When would you like to go "

HOW ABOUT SATURDAY NIGHT ?

Sounds great, " Where"

DO YOU LIKE SUSHI ? they have a great sushi chef at the Hyatt in Poipu, plus live jazz.

" We will meet you there, just give us time, But , I will need training in ordering sushi, can you help out ? "

That was the beginning of a most wonderful Kauai friendship. A while back Ed even ran for city council and we were out on the side of the road near KCC, waving his signs. Nope, he did not win, but became involved in kauai island helping out the county, as well as Hanapepe Town.

We loved Kauai, so much.....

We will be on island june 5th for three weeks, and may get a chance to see you all.

We are excited about our visit, and seeing friends, and exploring island wide.

Much aloha

Denny and Erica

Old 03-09-2018, 09:12 AM

Thanks for the Great story, sounds like you guys will have a wonderful time this summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai
View detailed profiles of: