Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2018, 09:38 AM

725 posts, read 3,014,037 times

Advertisements

Hey CD

My husband and I are heading to Kauai this weekend and we will be there for a week. Neither of us have been in Hawaii before but we are excited. His Aunt lives there and extended her vacation rental to us in Kapaa.

We have a few things planned - helicopter ride (already reserved), snorkeling (gear rented), probably some hikes, and want to zip line as well. We're looking for some suggestions by locals for other things to do that may be popular that we are overlooking. Also if there's some small local things you suggest, restaurants, etc. that would be great. Also should mention we are renting a car.

We thought about maybe trying to get to Oahu and maybe doing one of those movie/Jurassic Park tours but it looked like at least $150/rt/ea flights and would probably be too stressful to do in a 1 day turn around trip. I've read that there are some tours like that in Kauai as well but didn't get a chance to research it more.

Any way, any tips would be appreciated!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2018, 10:49 AM

3,271 posts, read 2,188,510 times
Do the waterfall trail at the north end of the island. I forgot exactly what it's called, but it's about 8 miles out and back. Just be prepared to fall down a few times because it's slippery.

Go have a chocolate drink at the location in between Princeville and Kapaa.

Man, I love that island.

Old 01-09-2018, 11:54 AM

227 posts, read 918,040 times
Just be really careful going in the water on the north shore this time of year. Waves are huge some days and every year tourist drown, make sure you are by a lifeguard tower and ask them where it is safe.

Since you have a car going to see Waimea canyon is a great trip and you can head up to Koke'e for the day and so some hikes and see the coast. It is about an hour from Kapaa and an all day trip. There are some great hiking trails up on the north shore but suggest you only do these if it is dry out.

You want resto suggestions that are local here are some of our favs

Kauai Pasta
Smileys
Rob's Good Time Grill
Paco's Taco's
Saimin Dojo
Pietro's
Mark's Place
Pono Market (Take out during the day)
Hamura's
Bubba Burger
Piazza
Dolphin
Kilauea Lighthouse Bistro
Wailua Shaved ICE (Must have the Lielikoi special is the best)

Have fun and be safe this time of year and do not go to Queens bath this time of year.

Old 01-09-2018, 01:07 PM

Thanks! I don't plan on going in the water too much, or anywhere where I can drown (hello, fears!). I reluctantly agreed to snorkeling, but only on the condition that I have a life vest, and that we only go to safe/really shallow spots.

I looked up both state parks you mentioned and they look amazing. Will try and check these out. His aunt already mentioned to us to wear shoes we don't mind getting dirty/stained - something about red dirt?

Lots of restaurant suggestions, thanks! I'll have to look these up.

Also, this may sound like a total newbie question but how is cell reception there? We are on tmobile. Just wondering if I can use our phone for navigation or if I need to bring my Garmin for more reliable signal.

Thanks in advance, again

Old 01-09-2018, 02:14 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,901,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s0nginmyheart View Post

His aunt already mentioned to us to wear shoes we don't mind getting dirty/stained - something about red dirt?
More like red mud - been a lot of rain this season. You need to be comfortable with slippery surfaces.

Old 01-13-2018, 06:40 AM

1,823 posts, read 2,276,052 times
Only a week on Kauai is really short, it will go by very fast! Be careful to pick the right day and time to see the Waimea canyon. The fog can build up at certain times, then you really can't see anything because of the thick fog. You'll need that rental car. Without a car, you're really handicapped. There's always traffic on the main road. Some people complain about the traffic, but it's nothing compared to the traffic in any major metropolitan city in the mainland. Kapaa is a great place to stay, centrally located. We stayed there. There's a nice paved walking path long the coastline in Kapaa. There's a few homeless people that you might see in that area, but they didn't bother us when we were visiting.

There are several botanical gardens to see when you are there. We didn't have enough time to see them all, since a week on Kauai is really too short. Since you'll only be there a week, I recommend not taking a day trip to another island, since you don't have enough time to do that. If you need groceries when you are visiting Kauai, check out Cost-U-Less in Kapaa. The prices are much lower than the typical grocery stores you'll see in Hawaii, where you might have to call the paramedics for the price shock you'll experience, compared to most places on the mainland.

I'd recommend visiting Oahu after visiting the Big Island, Maui, and Kauai. It will take several trips to visit the different island, because a week on each island is really not enough time. Also plan on spending a lot of money! The best time to visit is in the winter, especially if you live in the snow belt. Most tourists visit Oahu, but I think you'll have a better experience concentrating on the outer islands first, then maybe visiting Oahu later.

Old 01-24-2018, 09:53 AM

Aloha! We just returned back home this week and are missing Kauai very much! It was a very different vacation for us (relaxing/laid back/resort like vs on-the-go-major-city type destinations for us). Just wanted to mention a few things that we did, enjoyed, maybe not enjoyed lol...

Unfortunately, we woke up to the missile alarms on our phones Saturday morning (we had landed late Friday night), so that was rather scary. Once we knew it was officially a "false alarm" we carried on with our day.

Over the week we did a helicopter tour (which was really amazing), boat tour (which was probably 5-6 hrs, though I wish it was only like 2 hrs lol) - both tours were pretty cool to be able to see the Napali Coast from different perspectives. We were able to see some whale spouts and fins, and dolphins on the boat.

We snorkeled every day (without life vest even) - some of my favorites spots were Poipu, Lawaii, and Koloa landing (sea turtles!). We also went up north to Anini Beach but not much to look at in the water there, so we laid out in the sun for a bit.

We checked out the luau/dancing at Smith's - very cool experience.

On our last day we did the Kalalau Trail hike. We went all the way to the waterfall and back, and it was 4 miles roundtrip but took us 7 hours to complete. I've done some hiking trails recently in MN, and CA when I was younger, and in no way do I consider myself an expert hiker. I have to admit this trail is not a beginner's trail. It was very muddy and slippery and narrow at some points. But the pay off was amazing and incredible. My husband swam underneath the waterfall and said it was amazing. Afterwards we explored a bit of Hanalei.

Kapa'a town was really nice and we had a few favorite spots there (Java Kai, The Spot). We ate at different places around the island but I think my favorites were Cafe Hemingway (Kapaa), Dukes (Lihue), and Keoki's Paradise (Koloa) just to name a few.

Anyway, just thought I would circle back. We really enjoyed our trip and imagined ourselves living in Hawaii haha. I think we will eventually return and visit some of the other islands, probably Oahu next. But probably not until we live/move back to the west coast. The 10-11 hour flight (not including travel to/fr airports and layovers), was a bit exhausting. Anyway, I don't know why I feel the need to say thanks lol. Mahalo!

Old 01-25-2018, 11:16 AM

5,529 posts, read 12,665,045 times
Thanks for the nice, detailed follow-up. So often we never hear back from people who come here asking for advice. Glad to see that you had a great trip!

Come visit us on the Big Island next time

Old 01-25-2018, 11:52 AM

Thank you! I am just realizing I should correct myself: the Kalalau Trail was 8 miles roundtrip (4 miles to the water fall and 4 miles back, ooof!).

We would love to explore the other islands in the future!

Old 02-04-2018, 04:00 AM

252 posts, read 422,620 times
We visited for 12 yrs before we chucked all of our mainland stuff and moved from huntington beach to kauai for 10 years

As visitors , we stayed at Poipu Kai, in the poipu area. This may not help the OP, they may have already left but might be helpful to others.

Waimea Canyon and the Beautiful Kalalau Valley over look and hiking the Pihea Trail :

We would be up early, and look up at the mountains and ridges. If it was clear , on went the hiking boots and we were off. We also kept an eye on the weather, and if the clouds came rolling in and sometimes drop to the foot hills, the mountains obscured, or there were rain clouds , the the visibility would be restricted for viewing and hiking. We would go to plan B.

Best snorkeling on Kauai is at Lawai Beach, next to the beach house restaurant in the poipu area. The beach can get a bit narrow at high tide, especially with full or new moons, so we would sit up on the grass of the beach house restaurant and walk a few yards to the white sandy area for entering, and later exiting. There are bommies, coral heads and the marine life is pretty extensive. Also , Poipu Beach on the right side of the tombolo is the best snorkeling at Poipu Beach Park, out toward the reef. I believe Koloa Landing was mentioned here, we originally SCUBA dove here, but on about our second visit found that Koloa Landing was very high on the water pollution charts, put out monthly by surf rider. So, no more koloa landing for us.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

North shore during the winter is going to have body whomping, bust your okole , huge surf and strong currents during the winter months. swimming is not recommending at many of the beaches. You can check the computer for : kauai explorer surf and beach reports...daily after 9:00 am. Excellent up to date warnings, safe beaches, best snorkeling and visibility . Excellent.

Hiking: The visitors flock to the Hanakapiai Trail, first two miles of the kalalau trail. It is two miles to Hanakapiai Stream and Beach....and another two miles up to the water fall. Most times to the stream and the beach you will have a 1000 or so tromping and yaking visitors to keep you company. Fact is the hiking trails up in Koke'e area, just a few miles above Waimea Canyon, there are much better trails, views and a lot less people. The Ultimate Kauai Guide Book has excellent info on all of the Kauai Trails.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also, we liked kayaking, and as most, our first kayak paddle was up the Wailua River, to the right fork, to the eddy out on the left, and then hiked to secret falls. There are several kayak rental places, guided or solo. All closed on Sunday. Reservation are a good plan. Due to the down stream current, we stay to the far right side near the river bank, going up river, less current , easier paddle. Coming back down, we stay more toward the center, and got a nice boost from the down stream current.

Be advised, the huge tourist barges from Smiths, will be on the west side of the river, going and coming back from the fern grotto...give them a wide berth. Other kayaking ideas.....summer time, Kayak Hanalei, hanalei river , out into the bay and around the point at the St. Reggie to Hideaways Beach for snorkeling and lunch. Also, there is the Hulaea River Kayak and hike . Located , near nawiliwili Harbor.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Add in, a Napali Coast boat tour, all kinds of different types of vessels and companies. No boat departures out of the north shore in the winter. You can go out of Port Allen, or Kikiaola Small Boat Harbor, up on the west side. We usually suggest doing both the helo or fixed wing circle island air tours as well as a Napali Coast Boat trip.

The above is just the tip of the spear as to things to do on kauai, there are many paid and free nature oriented activities.

The UKG , the Ultimate kauai guidebook, will be of great assitance in planning and while on island.

E Komo Mai

Welcome, to Kauai.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai