Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2020, 05:51 PM

14 posts, read 19,448 times

Advertisements

Seems I've seen at least three yurts on Kauai - one mauka Kapaa, one Kalihiwai out past the end of the Princeville airport runway, and once a while ago, a vacation rental yurt in Haena. Are there any others?

The last two are gone now for some time, it seems, but I'd like to know the experiences of the builders of these yurts, permitting, costs for site prep and whether they can be used as lodging for owner-builders during construction of a "real" house. Yurt lovers, no offense meant to you.

Affordable housing is scarce it seems, and I suspect are regulations or common sense reasons why a yurt is a poor solution to that problem. Any story on this topic is gratefully accepted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2020, 02:18 PM

113 posts, read 163,462 times
People live do live in tents and yurts here. I am glad I don't have to knowing whats lies just beneath the surface of the soil. Now a roof top tent or any tent that is some how elevated off the ground would the bomb as other than the constant humidity the weather is about perfect for that type of living.

Old 07-31-2020, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HanapepePuppy View Post
People live do live in tents and yurts here. I am glad I don't have to knowing whats lies just beneath the surface of the soil. Now a roof top tent or any tent that is some how elevated off the ground would the bomb as other than the constant humidity the weather is about perfect for that type of living.
I agree, there are a lot of short cuts people take with a more temporary shelter, especially if off-grid and off the beaten path. Yuck!

A quality yurt would have a platform, post on pier supports, and a septic system. I was hoping someone knew of one with an owner I could contact regarding experiences of permitting and site prep, foundation requirements in flood zones, etc. I dread learning that a minimal structure like a yurt might have to have an 10' anchored screw pile foundation or worse, to meet code.

I could hope that the structure would have support from the manufacturer and permitting related to it would be smooth, even if it takes a while for paperwork to inch along. Electrical and plumbing are the same as for a regular build, I expect.

Best wishes to all amid the uncertainties we face.

Old 08-22-2020, 06:19 PM

Alriiight! As soon as this COVID lets up, I'm visiting the North Shore.

I was reviewing aerial photos of a property there and found the neighboring property has two yurts! Here's to hoping it isn't too strange for the owner to have someone knock on their door with questions. Either that person erected these yurts on the sly (hence my omission of details), or the yurts are permitted and the owner has been through and will share the processes to get there.

Heck, maybe the person will lease me some space for a yurt for a year while I build a house on property nearby. Anyone else who may be wiling to do the same can contact me via PM. Long shot, I know.

Old 08-24-2020, 05:26 AM

4,336 posts, read 1,552,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l3enigma View Post
Seems I've seen at least three yurts on Kauai - one mauka Kapaa, one Kalihiwai out past the end of the Princeville airport runway, and once a while ago, a vacation rental yurt in Haena. Are there any others?

The last two are gone now for some time, it seems, but I'd like to know the experiences of the builders of these yurts, permitting, costs for site prep and whether they can be used as lodging for owner-builders during construction of a "real" house. Yurt lovers, no offense meant to you.

Affordable housing is scarce it seems, and I suspect are regulations or common sense reasons why a yurt is a poor solution to that problem. Any story on this topic is gratefully accepted.
Affordable to whom?

Old 08-24-2020, 07:41 AM

1,459 posts, read 1,399,869 times
OP: Contact the building dept in that town. They'll know who has the non-typical housing. The biggest cost of yurts is shipping them from Kali, Oregon or Washington states.

Old 08-24-2020, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Open-D View Post
Affordable to whom?
My limited reading revealed that Kauai families at the median income level pay about 43% of income on housing. I recall that 25% of income was a good benchmark for a thriving community.

...so, affordable to those of average income.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai
View detailed profiles of: