Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 07:47 AM

433 posts, read 964,140 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know the names of these attractions?
Attached Thumbnails
Where in Kauai are these......................????-she379wn_36814_md.jpg   Where in Kauai are these......................????-she379wn_36815_md.jpg   Where in Kauai are these......................????-she379wn_36816_md.jpg   Where in Kauai are these......................????-she379wn_36817_md.jpg   Where in Kauai are these......................????-she379wn_36818_md.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2009, 08:50 AM

1,178 posts, read 5,942,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evidence-is-key View Post
Does anyone know the names of these attractions?
The first is the Wailua River.

The second one is on the north shore of Kauai. Not sure, but probably a valley in back of Haena. Here's another photo I found of the same peak:
Kauai image by Parkerp3 on Photobucket

The third one is a canyon in the interior of Kauai. I suspect it is east of Waimea canyon, because I found the same background here (the third one on the Jack Harter Helicopter tour):
Google Image Result for http://www.kfcplainfield.com/040113/04011610.jpg

The fourth one, like the second, is from Rachel Olsen Photography, here:
rachelolsenphotography.com (http://rachelolsenphotography.com/blog/index_old.php - broken link)
and is of a beach along the Na Pali coast.

The last is of Wailua Falls.

Old 07-31-2009, 11:11 AM

433 posts, read 964,140 times
Thank you SO much :-)

Old 08-03-2009, 01:24 PM

234 posts, read 813,919 times
Just got back from Kauai, and the last one, which is (as previously identified) Wailua Falls. Here is a pic I took.

http://user876.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/img_5479-1.jpg (broken link)

The second one looks like it could be a view from Hanalei Valley

The third one is visible from one of the lookouts at Weimea canyon, I have a picture of it that I took, but it's on my home computer.

Old 08-03-2009, 07:02 PM

15 posts, read 125,098 times
Beautiful contrast.

Nice job! :-)

Old 08-04-2009, 01:04 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,022,266 times
From that photo, Wailua Falls are almost identical to Wainuenue (Rainbow) falls in Hilo. Same split falls, about the same size and shape. Kinda interesting that the oldest of the island chain would have such similar topography to the newest of the island chain.

Old 08-06-2009, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
From that photo, Wailua Falls are almost identical to Wainuenue (Rainbow) falls in Hilo. Same split falls, about the same size and shape. Kinda interesting that the oldest of the island chain would have such similar topography to the newest of the island chain.
I think a geologist would tell you that the similarities in rivers are more due to the shape of the islands than to the ages or the heights of their mountains.

Kauai and Hawaii have their peaks near the center of the island, while Oahu has essentially two ridges, each running almost the north-south length of the island. Most of the rain on Oahu falls within five miles of the windward coast, so there are no long rivers. Even though the highest peak on Kauai is only about a mile high and the highest on Hawaii is over two, the similarity of rivers is probably due to the rain that falls near the center of the island and has so far to travel over land to return to the sea.

Hank

Old 01-10-2010, 02:59 PM

3 posts, read 18,193 times
Hi,
I am living on Oahu's North Shore and have been here for almost two years. I am retired. I would like to move to Kauai or so I think. I hear it is more rural, has more aloha and it is smaller so I am closer to drive to any of the beaches. I hear it is more beautiful there on the North Shore and I love this North Shore but it is very touristy and roads are now being built most likely for The Mormons and the tourist which is fine I suppose but it is ruining the coast line and that is the price that is being paid. I'd like to move to Kauai because it is not likely to have much development going on there and as I said, I have heard it is more beautiful than here. The woods I live in here on the shore are perfectly rural and filled with ocean surf busting and chickens cackling and bird coo. I am a photographer and writer so I don't need a lot to do other than that, just the environment for it. Any feedback will be welcomed. Mahalo, Turnsit

Old 01-10-2010, 03:33 PM

1,688 posts, read 4,298,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnsit View Post
Hi,
I am living on Oahu's North Shore and have been here for almost two years. I am retired. I would like to move to Kauai or so I think. I hear it is more rural, has more aloha and it is smaller so I am closer to drive to any of the beaches. I hear it is more beautiful there on the North Shore and I love this North Shore but it is very touristy and roads are now being built most likely for The Mormons and the tourist which is fine I suppose but it is ruining the coast line and that is the price that is being paid. I'd like to move to Kauai because it is not likely to have much development going on there and as I said, I have heard it is more beautiful than here. The woods I live in here on the shore are perfectly rural and filled with ocean surf busting and chickens cackling and bird coo. I am a photographer and writer so I don't need a lot to do other than that, just the environment for it. Any feedback will be welcomed. Mahalo, Turnsit
The north shore on Kauai is fantastic. You need to schedule a trip and stay for at least a month. Then you will know if Kauai's north shore is what you want. I have lived in both places and can't say either was better then the other. Each one has it's own thing and individual in it's own right. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder

Old 01-10-2010, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnsit View Post
Hi,
Here is a link to a page on my website that has links to lots and lots of things to see and do on the North Shore of Kauai. If you spend some time wandering through all the links, you will get a pretty good flavor of the area. There are some videos.

Princeville Information (http://www.visitprinceville.info/Princeville_Information.html - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai