Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2013, 11:15 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,453,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by retcol View Post
So, tell us. Did you go? Whatever happened?
Aloha, and Welcome.

I see you are new to the forum. If you look in the upper left corner of any post you can see when it was posted, and if you click on the name of the poster you can find out how long it has been since they have been online. In some cases the poster is still active, and you may get a response from them, but in some other cases they're just long gone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2013, 01:48 PM

17 posts, read 170,562 times
Good advice from whtviper and OpenD but in this case I'm still around . We never made it to Kauai but we're planning on taking sabbaticals next month to indulge in some travel and adventure so we may yet get there. Although, we did visit Kauai last year for 3 weeks in June and it was as beautiful and wonderful as we remembered. We also hiked to Kalalau and spent three nights there which is an experience I'll never forget.

Old 09-19-2013, 05:48 PM

56 posts, read 110,164 times
ha! Am I the only poster that gets a happy burst from seeing WhtVpr proved wrong?!

Old 09-19-2013, 06:08 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,836,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creativelytaylored View Post
ha! Am I the only poster that gets a happy burst from seeing WhtVpr proved wrong?!
There could be others, but apparently they have more class.

Old 11-10-2013, 07:23 PM

104 posts, read 171,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post
Then you don't live in a typical family household....
Kauai is the only island that requires hurricane insurance if you have a mortgage. Thus the slightly higher insurance premiums.

Old 11-10-2013, 10:47 PM

5,528 posts, read 12,677,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieLo View Post
Kauai is the only island that requires hurricane insurance if you have a mortgage. Thus the slightly higher insurance premiums.
Big Island does, too. Even though no hurricane has hit here in recorded history. Well, that might be an exaggeration, but I know it's been a long, long time and it's ridiculous that we have to have hurricane insurance here.

Old 01-13-2014, 06:13 PM

24 posts, read 54,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
Big Island does, too. Even though no hurricane has hit here in recorded history. Well, that might be an exaggeration, but I know it's been a long, long time and it's ridiculous that we have to have hurricane insurance here.
I imagine there are plenty of people that wish they had hurricane insurance in the wake of Iniki.

Why Kauai would be singled out as requiring insurance but it wouldn't be necessary for the other islands I don't understand? It seems to me Iniki could just have easily taken a right turn over BI, Maui, or Oahu instead of Kauai on its route up towards Alaska.

Old 01-18-2014, 02:48 PM

104 posts, read 171,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YolkyPalky View Post
I imagine there are plenty of people that wish they had hurricane insurance in the wake of Iniki.

Why Kauai would be singled out as requiring insurance but it wouldn't be necessary for the other islands I don't understand? It seems to me Iniki could just have easily taken a right turn over BI, Maui, or Oahu instead of Kauai on its route up towards Alaska.
I'm not a meteorologist but the pattern that most Pacific hurricanes take always seem to pass south of the islands and then turn north as it approaches Kauai. When I bought my Kapaa home I was told by my insurance agent that Kauai is the only island where hurricane insurance is mandatory if you hold a mortgage on the house. I have talked to friends in Oahu and the BI and they confirm that hurricane insurance is not mandatory in those counties. However, nothing stops a homeowner from having it if they want. It's like earthquake insurance in CA, not mandatory but it's available. Don't know about tornado insurance in those states prone to tornadoes such as TX, OK, MO, KN, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai