Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2006, 06:15 PM

564 posts, read 2,341,479 times

Advertisements

Hello.

In a couple years, i'll be getting my degree from Arkansas Tech University in Middle Elementary/Middle School Language Arts and Social Studies education. I'll also be getting a masters in education.

I'm not very keen on Arkansas, but I have found Alabama, Georgia, and South Carolina to be interesting (I've asked around on those boards the same question I'm asking you)...I'm originally from the South (Mississippi), been in the South all my life, and I want to die in the South (just about 60 years from now, haha).

I lived in London, Kentucky during my Middle and High School years, and I was so-so about it. What places would be best for me in Kentucky in terms of housing, land, teacher pay, cost of living, etc etc? I wouldn't mind coming back to Kentucky at all, but only if it were the best thing for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2006, 07:31 AM

12 posts, read 46,763 times
I have lived in Louisville my whole life. I am in the process of trying to relocate to Charlotte, NC (the reason i'm on this site). If I had to live in KY, Louisville would be my only choice, with the exception of the northern KY-Florence area. But that would be only because of its proximity to Cincinatti. KY overall has a low ranking educational system, so there is always a need for good teachers. Pretty much any city in KY will offer reasonably priced land and real estate. There may be some variation depending on the size of the city. In Louisville, a nice home in a nice neighborhood would run in the range of 150-180K, and would fluctuate depending on lot size, neighborhood, etc... In some of the smaller cities for this amount you may get a little more house or lot. Or the same house in a smaller city may cost you in the 120-150K range. As far as teaching salaries, BA with no experience starts around 32K, MA no experience 36K range. I am a social worker/counselor so I am in several different counties daily. If you have specific questions about an area, just ask. I you like city life and want to teach in an semi-urban school district, try Louisville. If you want moderate sized city, try Elizabethtown or Bowling Green. The Bowling Green area has grown tremendously and is not a far drive from Nashville, TN. E'town has a decent mall and is a short drive to Lou for more shopping and dining choices. Their school system has won some excellence awards, if that helps any. Also Hopkinsville is a nice growing area, not very far from BG or Nashville. Also, Indiana is right across the bridge from Lou, KY. Some teachers live in KY but teach in IN. A guy I work with is training to be a school counselor and he says he prefers working in the IN school system, though he lives in Lou. The cost of living in IN is a bit lower. Nice lots and homes available there too, but may not get the "southern comfort" feeling in IN . You can do a search for the different county school systems in KY. Some to look at are Jefferson (link below), Hardin (e'town/radcliff), Warren (BG), Nelson (Bardstown-another nice area). Just type in your search box (Hardin County schools KY, etc...). Most of the county school websites list their salary schedules in the employment/personnel section. Good luck! Let me know if you have more questions.

http://web2.jefferson.k12.ky.us/ccg/...hersSalary.pdf

In a couple years, i'll be getting my degree from Arkansas Tech University in Middle Elementary/Middle School Language Arts and Social Studies education. I'll also be getting a masters in education.

I'm not very keen on Arkansas, but I have found Alabama, Georgia, and South Carolina to be interesting (I've asked around on those boards the same question I'm asking you)...I'm originally from the South (Mississippi), been in the South all my life, and I want to die in the South (just about 60 years from now, haha).

I lived in London, Kentucky during my Middle and High School years, and I was so-so about it. What places would be best for me in Kentucky in terms of housing, land, teacher pay, cost of living, etc etc? I wouldn't mind coming back to Kentucky at all, but only if it were the best thing for me.[/quote]

Old 09-08-2006, 08:55 AM

5 posts, read 6,102 times
Why don't you check into Oldham County Schools and the East End of Louisville (Jefferson County)? I have lived here all my life and Oldham County is a great place to live, and raise a family. The schools are highly ranked and we are building more everyday! We have just started a new campas in Oldham county and have opened the middle school and are in the process of building the new elementary and high. If you like I can send you more information on these schools and and the ones in Jefferson county. I am a licensed Realtor in the state of Kentucky and have this information readily available at my office. Shoot me an e-mail if you like and I'll be happy to mail you the information I have on the schools and the city!
[moderator cut]

Old 03-27-2008, 01:21 AM

564 posts, read 2,341,479 times
I posted this a couple years back, and I'm right back on the same idea again. This time, you can forget the SC, GA idea. How's Kentucky looking now period for jobs?

What about London? Lexington?

I lived in London for 5 years back in Middle and High School and enjoyed it, for the most part. I'm not very happy where I'm at now, in Arkansas. Do I have a chance around those parts?

Old 03-27-2008, 04:43 AM

891 posts, read 3,052,937 times
for Lexington check fcps.net for job postings.

Old 09-02-2010, 10:54 PM

1 posts, read 3,606 times
Exclamation JCPS is not the place for teahers or students

Louisville (Jefferson County Public Schools) are by far the biggest letdown when it comes to living in Louisville, KY. The busing system, the segregation of school, and the dispproportionate useage of funding between the haves and have nots is readily and easily apparent in this area. Children spend up to 2 hours or more a day on a bus, are shipped to schools miles from their neighborhood (specifically when there are other schools closer to them) and all this is done in the name of segregation and fair busing. JCPS needs to get its head out of its behind.... they have lost over 10 children at the bus stop/drop off area in the three weeks since school has started. DO NOT send your child to school on a school bus; it may be the last time you see them! Also, the merit-based system of rewarding and supplying equipment to schools is only benefitting the children whose parents already have money; the funds are not used to level the playing field for all students in the area, as it should be. Children deserve equal and fair playing fields. Too bad parents, administrators, and all too often, educators, fail to see just how important these ideas are. STAY AS FAR A WAY FROM JEFFERSON COUNTY PUBLIC SCHOOLS AS YOU CAN!!!!

Old 01-08-2011, 06:36 PM

10 posts, read 17,025 times
McCracken county schools are good, and the pay is higher than other counties in Kentucky. The cost of living in McCracken is generally lower than most places in America.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky