Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 02:35 PM

2,153 posts, read 5,536,709 times

Advertisements

Anyone familiar with the area and can give me advice? Would this be a good area to raise a family?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2007, 03:05 PM

1,448 posts, read 4,790,690 times
I like Frankfort. It's the state capital, plenty of decent shopping, 30 minutes to Lexington and an hour to Louisville.

I don't know much about their schools, however.

Old 06-26-2007, 04:10 PM

no other info besides this?

Old 06-26-2007, 05:32 PM

389 posts, read 1,656,424 times
They have a great place to eat for families at the Pizza Inn sorry don't know much about the town except that its the state capital and kentucky state university is their.

Old 06-27-2007, 02:15 PM

Does nobody ever go to Frankfort or live there? There has to be someone on here with some info about schools and neighborhoods.

Old 06-28-2007, 05:57 AM

3 posts, read 12,160 times
I grew up in Frankfort and my parents still live there. I have friends who work for Franklin County schools and from what I hear they are fine. No problems with state scores, discipline, etc. As far as neighborhoods it depends on what price range you are looking in and what side of town you want to be on.

Old 06-28-2007, 07:39 AM

1,448 posts, read 4,790,690 times
A little more info:

Frankfort, Kentucky - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And on thier schools:

Franklin County Public Schools

Frankfort Schools

Frankfort schools – Kentucky (KY) school district, public and private school reports

It looks like their system in general lags a little behind Jefferson County:
Local Economic Conditions and Kentucky's Education Reform Act (KERA)

But there look to be some exceptions, like Collins Lane Elementary:
Collins Lane Elementary School, Frankfort Kentucky / KY school information

This looks to be the best ranking of individual schools, although I can't vouch for the source:
Search within a district in Kentucky...

Old 04-10-2009, 06:56 PM

141 posts, read 752,215 times
Western Hills high school is acceptable, not greak. Frankfort High School is abysmal, Franklin County is only so-so.

I have no experience with the elementary and middle schools.

The good school districts are for the suburban areas where homes are overpriced and architecturally ugly, in my opinion. Downtown Frankfort is amazing, but the schools are awful.

As the poster above said, Lawrenceburg is a very good option and has grown a lot in recent years. When I was young it was a one horse town accessible by long drives down curvy highways. Now it's booming with lots of new houses and restaurants, and commuting is easy with new roads.

Last edited by DeoGratias; 04-10-2009 at 07:41 PM..

Old 04-11-2009, 03:17 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,798,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Schaefer View Post
Lawrenceburg is eight miles away down a new four lane hwy.
Second best schools in the state and fastest growing per capita.
I grew up in Frankfort and its where everyone is going. Frankforts demographics are more people live on the east side yet all the shopping is on the west side.
NO!!! Avoid Lawrenceburg! The school system is terrible and the town has stagnated in population. It was a "top" choice of a town in the 1990s but it can't get past its hillbilly/Mayberry mindset that they're a tiny town when in fact they have the potential to become a small city.

Some of the most ill prepared pupils I've seen for life, education, anything, anywhere have graduated from Anderson County Public Schools. Today, they're just like Franklin Co. Public Schools.

If I had kids, even if gas got to $5/gallon, I'd rather live in Oldham or eastern Jefferson Counties and send my kids to some real high schools with much stronger performance and commute to Frankfort. Educational quality is that important to me.

Old 04-11-2009, 04:40 PM

141 posts, read 752,215 times
Nobody with any sense sends their kids to Jefferson County Public Schools if they have a choice. That's why there are so many thriving Private institutions in Jefferson County - they have the worst schools in the state. Anyone who would say they'd rather send their kids to school in Jefferson County is misinformed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky