Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 10:55 AM

5 posts, read 11,103 times

Advertisements

Hello! My husband and I are thinking abut movng to Kentucky...I was wondering if anybody had any suggestions?? We would like a smaller town, possibly some land (if reasonable)...but not too far from a main town. I would really like to keep to the western part but would like snow(and mountains!)...is any of this possible? We dont know a whole lot about the state but are ready for a change of scenery-we live in VA now. Also if possible a low crime rate.. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2010, 08:22 PM

4,826 posts, read 14,310,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajd08 View Post
Hello! My husband and I are thinking abut movng to Kentucky...I was wondering if anybody had any suggestions?? We would like a smaller town, possibly some land (if reasonable)...but not too far from a main town. I would really like to keep to the western part but would like snow(and mountains!)...is any of this possible? We dont know a whole lot about the state but are ready for a change of scenery-we live in VA now. Also if possible a low crime rate.. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
There are hundreds of places in the 120 counties of Kentucky that will fit your criteria. Yes, it's all possible, too.

What is your connection to the western part of the state? We won't see as much snow in far western Kentucky as you will in other parts of the state due to the higher daily temps due to the natural winds flowing up the Mississippi valley from the gulf. I've seen 22 inch snows in the Owensboro and Louisville areas. I've seen and felt 20 below zero there too.

I would love to help you more, but I need more information.

Old 08-20-2010, 04:12 PM

Well we really have no actual reason to move there, we're young and want a change of scenery! I had found some towns in the western part that I liked(that I cant remember the name of for the life of me) But if we found a town we both really liked that wasnt in the wester part it wouldnt matter either. I want horses one day and some land_maybe 5 acres? But also in a mountainous area(if thats all possible)...But I really want to stay away from the really large cities. We live in Winchester, Va now and obviously its not like NY city but I feel like it almost too busy and chaotic at times...I knwo its silly to expect too much but Im giving it a whirl. Id say the farthest away from a big city we would live is 30-45 min. But at the same time we'd like a small town with some everyday convienances as needed. Hope thats not too much!! Thanks for you suggestions!

Old 08-20-2010, 04:26 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,470,414 times
My random suggestions would be around Danville or Bardstown

Old 08-21-2010, 10:56 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,800,719 times
Western and mountains don't go together. Just not happening. Any place in Kentucky will have snow in winter, although the highest amounts will be in extreme parts of northern and southeastern Kentucky. Also, any of Kentucky's 120 counties will have rural land near their county seats.

My personal recs. are the areas around Murray, Paducah, Cadiz, Owensboro, Henderson, London, Columbia, Elizabethtown, Danville, Frankfort, La Grange, Alexandria, Independence, and Maysville. Maybe Pikeville and Berea, although coming from NYC and N. Virginia you might be in a culture shock in east Ky.

You'll probably get some more recs. for Shelbyville and Bardstown. Sville has decent arts for a town its size and Btown has a significant role in Ky history. However, they are towns with a fairly large rude and snooty contingent. Not my first choices.

Old 08-22-2010, 11:56 AM

11,087 posts, read 17,537,039 times
I'm with Eclectic about west Ky. and mountains. It's far from flat ground here but nowhere near mountains. I live in a small town that doesn't have a Walmart! But we DO have a Dollar General and a Fred's! lol Most shoppers around here usually drive 18 miles east to Hopkinsville or 35 miles west to Murray for something more than the essentials. As far as cities Paducah is about 55 miles away (I'm giving all my mileages from Cadiz) and Nashville is about an hour's drive. Both are via I-24.

Murray is a university town where there's more going on. I just checked on concerts on the schedule at Murray this fall. Richard Buckner will be there Sept. 18th (not sure who he is), Jason Mraz, Sept. 26, Steven Curtis Chapman, October 1 and Miranda Lambert, October 8. Horse are big in this part of the state too. Not as much as in the bluegrass region though. There is a campsite for horseback riders in the Land Between the Lakes. The last week of July/first week of August every year there is a nine day trail ride in the Shawnee National Forest in Illinois, just across the Ohio River. I've heard of some from around here who go up there. Not a long drive. Some friends where I used to live go to the Nine Day every year. I tease them that it's a nine day drunk and they happily agree. lol
Shouldn't have any trouble finding land around here either

Old 08-22-2010, 06:09 PM

163 posts, read 428,512 times
As everyone said, western KY doesn't have much in the way of mountains, but there is the knob region to consider. If my grade school memory serves me correctly, I think the knobs region starts near Louisville and continues south into Bullitt, Hardin, Nelson, Marion counties and then swings up in a northeast direction. The counties I mentioned are the most western area where you'll find these hills though. This site has some more info...

Kentucky Atlas and Gazetteer - Physiographic

Old 08-24-2010, 02:19 PM

Ok, thanks for all the great suggestions....I have alot of researching to do it sounds like...lol.

Old 08-24-2010, 06:04 PM

84 posts, read 291,316 times
You're making a great decision, you will LOVE Kentucky. This is a fantastic state. Some of my favorite spots if I had to make random suggestions would be Bardstown, Murray, Elizabethtown (close to me, Henderson, maybe Morehead, Pikeville. I think that pretty much covers a span of the entire state. If you have any more questions just ask us...we're friendly folk

Old 08-25-2010, 07:42 PM

9,510 posts, read 9,083,933 times
Default Snowfall map

Ah the snow - not the first thing that some people think of with the Bluegrass state. Here is a good map that shows an average location for the greatest accumilation for the first snowfall over 30+ years. Here is the reference page: Fact Sheet: Kentucky's Mean First Snowfall

and the 4 main weather divisions w/in the state:
http://kyclim.wku.edu/kccOld/factShe...ydivisions.jpe

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky