U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 05:13 PM

9 posts, read 44,919 times

Advertisements

Amen EclecticEars- I hear you! I am not a fit either!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2010, 05:17 PM

4,114 posts, read 9,643,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatenky View Post
Amen EclecticEars- I hear you! I am not a fit either!
Curious, do you live in or out of Kentucky?

Old 10-26-2010, 05:18 PM

BTW Forest_Hills_Daddy..."Skid Row" in LA? Seriously? What tv show did you see that one on? Have you ever been to LA? Or outside of KY for that matter?

Old 10-26-2010, 05:20 PM

Sadly, I grew up there. I still have family all throughout the state. Louisville, Lexington, Owensboro, and NKY which was the reason for my recent trip. But I have not been back in years and actually, before my trip- I had convinced myself that there was NO WAY it could be as bad as I remembered. But I was wrong. It was.

Old 10-26-2010, 05:57 PM

2,927 posts, read 7,815,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatenky View Post
Thank you for apologizing. I appreciate the condolences but would still request a refund of my time spent there. We did go to the Levee to have lunch and watch the game. It was fine if your idea of fashion is Deb and Hot Topic, and cuisine a bowl full of hot wings and sliders. It was whatever, but I will say it had attractive views of Cincinnati. The newly constructed "Queen City Square" building added a nice contrast to the existing skyline. But all of that is besides the point. I guess what I was more posting on were the people. They were genuinely strange- aggressive even, for no reason whatsoever. I have traveled to all of the places you noted, as well as many other parts of the country and have never encountered such an across the board degree of racism, prejudice, and lack of understanding. That was my experience- and I did keep an open mind. It was just repeatedly closed by the behavior of those I encountered.
Oh how sweet, "ihatenky" and "electricears" are "friends." Oh wait, or are they the same person? Hmmm.....

Not many people dislike Northern Kentucky, it's close to nearly every amenity you would ever want.

Old 10-26-2010, 06:02 PM

4,114 posts, read 9,643,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InLondon View Post
Oh how sweet, "ihatenky" and "electricears" are "friends." Oh wait, or are they the same person? Hmmm.....

Not many people dislike Northern Kentucky, it's close to nearly every amenity you would ever want.
Well, Bubba, first of all it's EclecticEars.

Second, ihatenky was visiting the region for three days. I still live here.

Thirdly, ihatenky moved away years ago and hasn't visited until recently, according to him/her. I'm still stuck here.

Oh, by the way, I see that ihatenky now lives in Northern California. Away from the cities, California is a friendly state. And even at that I've met many friendly people from Los Angeles (although not so much on the West Hollywood/West LA side of things, and not many from the Bay Area, either.) Small CA towns like, for example, Jamestown, Calistoga, San Luis Obispo, and Avila Beach were/are home to some friendly folks!

Old 10-28-2010, 01:38 PM

871 posts, read 2,030,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
About the OP: He/she may technically be "trolling" per the stipulations of the forum, but I can't leave this one alone.

I used to defend NKY from the "Yankee-bashers" that did not like the region. I've always heard friends and acquaintances growing up downstate talk about about rude and crass Cincinnatians (or, just the general label "people from Ohio") can be. I always thought that NKY would have enough southern mannerisms to not be as much like those so-called danged Cincinnatians just because it is in Kentucky.

Except for Florida, Chicago and New York City (and even many of its natives are reserved but friendly), never have I encountered a constant stream of nasty, bitter, negative, condescending, or all of the above people. I have spent nearly a year and a half giving this area a chance. It is extremely hard to make friends in this area, even though I have hung out some with acquaintances since moving here (although it's hard to get together due to busy and diverse schedules.) As for racial segregation, I would argue that it is so thick that you could cut it with a knife; yes, worse than other cities I've visited like San Antonio, Birmingham, Atlanta, and Nashville. I have met great people at work and have gone out with many of them for drinks and meals. But just the general Joe Schmo on the street is, like the OP said, in a state of offense and, yes, many of them are even sadistic. I'm really not kidding. Not most, or even a slight majority, but still many. Even California (or at least much of it), one of my states of interest, gave me an overall good impression people-wise when I was there two months ago.

The rest of Kentucky isn't for me culturally. I've had interviews lately in TX and CA but no opportunities came out of those. I do now understand that much of the rest of Kentucky is friendlier, although in my opinion it is only superficially. My blood pressure and stress level seems to lower whenever I get past the Crittenden exit on I-75, and yet I find that because of the amenities that NKY is accessible to that it is the best part of Kentucky for me. Yet I'm unhappy in N. Ky; call me crazy, I know.

Folks, I sincerely don't think it's me. I've given up on Kentucky; I'm not a fit.
um, i think its pretty damn obvious that it IS you. you sure as hell come off as nasty, bitter, negative, condescending. basically, everyone is a rude ass, and thats why you are so upset and act like a rude ass. ive seen three or four of your posts, theyre all the same. you have all these "theories" about which regions are the rudest, often times citing certain cities just miles apart as one being rude and one being nice.

it seems pretty obvious that youve got issues. youre gonna have to work those out. cant wait to see you come on here bitching about how everyone in california is so mean, stuck up, rude, etc.

people pretty much are going to be the same everywhere you go. youll find that out. you really need to just quit and get the hell out of this state though, because as long as youre here that "everybody else is rude" attitude will keep you from make any social connections. once you move, then you can stop blaming the state you live in and can start recognizing what it is about you that makes you hate other people so much, or you can just blame texas for being so rude and move on somewhere else until youve lived in every state in the country. then it will be "americans are rude" and you can start touring europe.

Old 10-28-2010, 03:42 PM

2,927 posts, read 7,815,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyJohnWilson View Post
um, i think its pretty damn obvious that it IS you. you sure as hell come off as nasty, bitter, negative, condescending. basically, everyone is a rude ass, and thats why you are so upset and act like a rude ass. ive seen three or four of your posts, theyre all the same. you have all these "theories" about which regions are the rudest, often times citing certain cities just miles apart as one being rude and one being nice.

it seems pretty obvious that youve got issues. youre gonna have to work those out. cant wait to see you come on here bitching about how everyone in california is so mean, stuck up, rude, etc.

people pretty much are going to be the same everywhere you go. youll find that out. you really need to just quit and get the hell out of this state though, because as long as youre here that "everybody else is rude" attitude will keep you from make any social connections. once you move, then you can stop blaming the state you live in and can start recognizing what it is about you that makes you hate other people so much, or you can just blame texas for being so rude and move on somewhere else until youve lived in every state in the country. then it will be "americans are rude" and you can start touring europe.

Excellent post JimmyJohn!

Old 10-28-2010, 04:11 PM

9 posts, read 19,214 times
Okay, I am new to this. So I have to comment. I am from South Carolina, I came here on a scholarship to NKU. It has been hard to make friends to an EXTREAM. As for things to do, the levee gets so old (I work there) and once you have done it once or twice its old, food is pretty much all the same also, good for gameday though lol. You can do the same thing at the levee that you can do in most mid-sized towns (with exception of the events and fireworks). I didn't come here expecting NYC, but you guys must say, for all these town surrounding Cincinnati and for it to be a "city" there isnt much to do, and all my friends at work and school, most of them locals, agree. I do LOVE Reds games, and other pro sporting teams but thats the only perk. All that said I am moving back to Myrtle Beach as soon as I am done next semester. If I could keep the friends that I have made here, I would have chosen not to come. HOWEVER, this is only MY opinion, I know some agree and some will not. No harm meant in this lol.

Old 11-04-2010, 08:17 AM

57 posts, read 114,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InLondon View Post

Too funny - that you speak for all of humanity and the idea that Northern Kentucky is close to nearly every amenity?!

I defended the area as not being the armpit of America because I've personally been to worse areas but it certainly is NOT a cultural or recreational mecca!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky