Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 06:44 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,906,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
I watched the 6:00 news on Channel 6 about the birds. Can't remember the street that was on by 16th, but looked like it was close to campus. You know where it is kentuckydad?

Yeah, it was off 16th, which runs next to campus. You could see some of the campus in the background. What's even more weird is that I have 6 acres of land and have not seen one dead bird. Hopefully I won't either. I don't want to have to pick them up with a shovel and throw them on my burn pile.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2011, 07:01 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,876,207 times
ontop of the arkansas, kentucky and louisiana bird kills, weve got a huge fish kill in arkansas, plus some frineds were telling me about a smaller one in Maryland...

weve got another small bird kill in sweden (these jackdaws)
another fish kill in brazil
a mass of "devil crabs" in the UK
and hundereds of snappers in new zealand...

anyone still buying the fireworks theory?

Old 01-05-2011, 09:46 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,564,880 times
Must have been one helluva fireworks display! lol
I keep thinking back to the 70s when towns were trying to kill the starlings because of the threat of histoplasmosis. They waited till the birds roosted for the night, spray the tree they were in with Tergitol which dissolved the protective coating on the feathers, then spray them all down with a fire hose. They were dropping from the trees like flies! That was done in a couple spots around Mayfield then.

Old 01-06-2011, 03:56 AM

1,255 posts, read 3,491,383 times
I don't think we'll ever know the truth. Obviously they're giving us BS reasons right off the bat ("Hey, it happened in the days surrounding New Years. Tell 'em it was fireworks & they'll forget about it & go back to watching American Idol!"). Remember when the oil spill happened & they tried to tell us it was only a thousand barrels a day (when in reality was more like 70k-100k a day)?? Same thing here. They'll only tell us what they have to if it gets worse & there's no denying something is majorly wrong.

I personally think something is wrong with the world & its either outta balance in some way or sick. Birds & fish are really in tune & harmonious to nature in general, so if they start dying off in large numbers, then something is probably up.

On a side note, not to get all hippied out, but people need to realize that we'll all connected to the animals & the planet. I know humans like to think that we're not just because we're so industrialized & cutoff from it in our daily lives nowadays. But if stuff starts happening in the food chain like this, you better believe we'll all suffer for it greatly. The saddest part is it doesnt have to be this way. Greed, money & power really have the ability to destroy us.

BTW, here is a better interactive map of all the recent events: Mass Animal Deaths - Google Maps

Old 01-06-2011, 04:38 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,499,887 times
It's too bad all Black Birds don't drop dead. They are an invasive species that carries germs and harms native birds.

Old 01-06-2011, 04:49 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,230,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerryB View Post
I don't think we'll ever know the truth. Obviously they're giving us BS reasons right off the bat ("Hey, it happened in the days surrounding New Years. Tell 'em it was fireworks & they'll forget about it & go back to watching American Idol!"). Remember when the oil spill happened & they tried to tell us it was only a thousand barrels a day (when in reality was more like 70k-100k a day)?? Same thing here. They'll only tell us what they have to if it gets worse & there's no denying something is majorly wrong.

I personally think something is wrong with the world & its either outta balance in some way or sick. Birds & fish are really in tune & harmonious to nature in general, so if they start dying off in large numbers, then something is probably up.

On a side note, not to get all hippied out, but people need to realize that we'll all connected to the animals & the planet. I know humans like to think that we're not just because we're so industrialized & cutoff from it in our daily lives nowadays. But if stuff starts happening in the food chain like this, you better believe we'll all suffer for it greatly. The saddest part is it doesnt have to be this way. Greed, money & power really have the ability to destroy us.

BTW, here is a better interactive map of all the recent events: Mass Animal Deaths - Google Maps
Great post. I'd recommend reading Ishmael by Daniel Quinn re: your last point (if you haven't already). I'd go on about this but that's a different thread.

Old 01-06-2011, 06:27 PM

9,511 posts, read 9,103,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerryB View Post

I don't think its a coincidence that all of this is happening around large bodies of water (obviously the fish, but the birds too).
Isn't it amazing that the only places that are reporting the dead birds are areas that have accurate reporting methods?

Old 01-07-2011, 04:43 AM

1,255 posts, read 3,491,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefoxwarrior View Post
Great post. I'd recommend reading Ishmael by Daniel Quinn re: your last point (if you haven't already). I'd go on about this but that's a different thread.
Thanks. I've never heard of that, but I'll def be putting it in my book queue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
Isn't it amazing that the only places that are reporting the dead birds are areas that have accurate reporting methods?
I think there's a lot more that aren't being officially reported (from some of the mumblings around the internet forums). Also, I bet a lot aren't being noticed & are falling in rural & non-residential areas. America's a big place.

There's a lot of talk that this could be a result of the Earth's magnetic poles shifting more rapidly & effecting the bird's navigation systems. I read about this a few days ago & chalked it up as mumbo jumbo nonsense. Then this report came out today: FoxNews.com - Magnetic North Pole Shifts, Forces Runway Closures at Florida Airport

Old 01-07-2011, 10:35 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,499,887 times
There are things in nature mankind still has trouble understanding. There have been mass animal kills very recently around the globe.

My guess is it is from solar flare storms or something else similar.

Old 01-07-2011, 01:08 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,359,800 times
Millions of dead fish in the Chesapeake bay area

Over 2 million dead fish found along Maryland's Chesapeake B...

I got a bad feeling about this..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
View detailed profiles of: